FPS tweaking =)

Gunner

Tank
Reaction score
If you have a two year old computer like me, you're probably having a hard time getting a good framerate in CS:S. So here's a small list of commands you can add to your config.cfg file to increase your fps:

mp_decals "0"
cl_interp "0.01"
cl_show_bloodspray "0"
cl_ejectbrass "0"
cl_scalecrosshair "1"
cl_ejectbrass "0"
cl_show_splashes "0"
cl_show_bloodspray "0"
cl_drawshadowtexture "0"
cl_phys_props_enable "0"
fog_enable "0"
fog_enable_water_fog "0"
muzzleflash_light "0"
mat_bumpmap "0"
mat_fastnobump "1"
mat_forcedynamic "0"
mat_numtextureunits "0"
mat_picmip "-1"
mat_specular "0"
r_aspectratio "0"
r_decals "0"
r_3dsky "0"
r_shadows "0"
r_eyes "0"
r_teeth "0"
r_dynamic "0"
r_modellodscale "0.1"
r_drawlights "0"
r_dispusestaticmeshes "0"
r_dispfullradius "2"
r_avglight"0"
r_lightaverage "0"
r_lightinterp "0"
r_renderoverlayfragment "0"
r_rootlod "2"
r_shadows "0"
r_shadowmaxrendered "-1"
r_shadowrendertotexture "0"
r_worldlightmin "1"
r_worldlights "1"

However I suggest keeping r_modellodscale "0.1" set to "1" otherwise the models will look really bad (unless you stand two feet away from them). I'm playing on 1280*1024 with model & texture detail on high, still looks good:

Let me know how it goes :)

haha so much for a 'small' list of commands.
ill have to try em when i get home.
:)

Works great to give you 60fps almost locked no matter what your doing where your looking or whats happening on screen. Its good to mention that you should go into your cfg folder in cstrikesourcebeta, make a copy of it and place it somewhere on your desktop. Then just copy these commands from the forums and paste them in the cfg folder. You can open the cfg folder using notepad. And if you dont like it just erase the cfg folder and place the original copy of the one on the desktop back . Hope that makes sense. Works great just makes the whole map look worse than 1.6.....Yeah set the models to 1 or else they look like paper cut outs with pinheads. Good luck, good job on the list PARA.....

VodkA-HLC- said:
Yeah set the models to 1 or else they look like paper cut outs with pinheads. Good luck, good job on the list PARA.....

Hehe, thanks Vodka :)

Dude, that just make the game look like Commander Keen 1.
:D

My specs don't require such a tweak, but I still wish my fps would stay above 40fps in fights.. I pray to God that the source engine will get optimized.

Ecthe|ioN said:
Dude, that just make the game look like Commander Keen 1.

I don't think it looks that bad, besides performance comes first, I can do without the eye candy in a multiplayer game.

de_dust3.jpg

de_dust0001.jpg

CB | Para said:
I don't think it looks that bad, besides performance comes first, I can do without the eye candy in a multiplayer game.

Hehe, I was just kidding. Doesn't look that bad actually. I fixed my own fps problems by turning off AA and AF. I know I don't have a 2 year old computer, but my fps was still shitty. Now I'm around 60-120fps @ 1024x768 With everything on high. 2xAA and 2xAF actually killed half my fps. That's crazy.

When the source engine is optimized we will probably see an improvement.

SunshineRecorder said:
hahahaha commander keen :p

Since you resurrected this old thread :p

I might as well post a new screenshot

de_dust6.jpg

With the fps tweaks it was too way too ugly, so I cranked everything back high and added some AA & AF :)

Firefights on 40 player servers are tough to handle as you can see here, 16 fps when a nade explodes, but 24 player servers is silky smooth.

LOL @ people using 1280*1024
it is a streched resolution. The proper 4:3 res is till 1280*960.

Geronimous said:

Works better on my LCD screen, 1280x1024 is the default resolution for it, plus it adds automatically some AA :)

Another good tweak is changing mat_dxlevel "0" to "70" (0 is default which makes the game run in the dx version that your card support). The game looks quite bad since there will be no shaders but hey, you get fps :thumbs:

Oh and I don't think the fog_* commands needs to be changed since you won't see any performance gain nor any visual difference (well I don't see anything anyway).

how do you find out what your fps is in cs:s? :sniper:

Either cl_showfps 1/2 or net_graph 3.

And by the way the fog commands never worked :|

They are locked I guess. Damn I want those smoke clouds (could that be the fog?) gone quick :)

Yeah I think it is the "fog", hmmm maybe cl_weather 0 will do the trick like in aztec. I'm gonna give it a try :)

thanks for these tweaks, i definently will be using them once i get css!

Ecthe|ioN said:
Hehe, I was just kidding. Doesn't look that bad actually. I fixed my own fps problems by turning off AA and AF. I know I don't have a 2 year old computer, but my fps was still shitty. Now I'm around 60-120fps @ 1024x768 With everything on high. 2xAA and 2xAF actually killed half my fps. That's crazy.

When the source engine is optimized we will probably see an improvement.

i feel bad, your specs shouldnt require such a thing.

guchi said:
thanks for these tweaks, i definently will be using them once i get css!

You're welcome :) If you find anything new feel free to add them here.

I get around 40-60 fps average.. But often my FPS goes down to 20 with people on the screen. Remarkably, CS:S remains smooth and playable with that low of FPS. I'm quite satisfied =]

Too bad there ain't no cl_weather command in CS:S. *Here's to better optimization in the full product* :cheers:

Okay I was messing around with the console some more and I found a way to disable smoke grenades, and other nuisances hah! :LOL:

Getting 30-120 FPS on 40 player servers now with these settings:

Model detail: High*
Texture: High*
Water: Reflect World*
Shadows: High*
AA: 2x
AF: 4x
Shaders: Enabled*
Vsync: Enabled

Never drops below 30 FPS thanks to that cheat :D

By the way, here's how to disable the weather effect on aztec:

r_drawrain "0"
r_drawropes "0"

Geronimous said:

A lot of monitors defaults are 1280x1024, and 1280x960 looks wrong. I use 1280x1024 and it looks great on my CRT.

Back