frustration with the 9800 pro..

Quotidian---

Reaction score
i own like my sig says a 9800 pro.. and i'm not running neither as fast as i think i should be.

i'[ve checked all the compability and i'm running a nice rig.. it doesn't make sense

in Americas Army with everything cranked with AA and AF 8x AGP i get only 60 fps outside. 70-80 inside.

i know people with 5200's getting more than that...

and in the aquamark3d new benchmark.. i get a score of 17,000... which is EXTREMELY low.. when people with 9700's and p4 2.0 are getting 25,000+

i can't turn on AGP fastwrite either, it resets to off once it restarts(which it requires a restart).. i'm not sure if getting fastwrite alone would bump my score up that much

but according to someone else on a dif. forum.. he had the same problems, and installed some intel chip accelerators, which alowd him to turn on fastwrite and stay on after booting.. and his score went from 16,000 to 38,000+ and its very noticable..

i've tried the same thing, but every intel prog is not compatible with my chipset it says..

so i tried MSI and it installed actualy.. but seemed to have done nothing

please any help is wanted, i'm frustrated cuase this stuff is brand new.

Your getting lower scores because AA+AF is on. Also, forget about the benchmarks. They mean nothing, they only bench your video, and we know that yours is excellent.

quoting sidewinder:
hrm, you're scores are way too low. Do you have the 3.7cats installed? Is you're AGP apature set to 128mb (or 256mb)? Do you have aneough power running into it? is it set on AGP 4x or 8x?

answer: AGP is set to 8x what are 3.7cats... yes its set at 128meg apeture in the BIOS (the card is 128megs) and according to ASUS pc probe its getting all the power it needs.. not asking for anymore..

i tried setting it to AGP 4x but the prog sets it there anyone.. AA and AF are turned on but aquamark turns off/on anyway.

Originally posted by Sgt.Igneri
Your getting lower scores because AA+AF is on. Also, forget about the benchmarks. They mean nothing, they only bench your video, and we know that yours is excellent.

i understand i'm not a benchmark score freak.. but i am running games slower than some peopel i've talked to on-line.. like i mentioned Americas Army..

which makes me really wonder. i just want my card to run at the fullest and then some.

You're getting great fps in AA if thats what you get with 8xAA and 8xAF on. People with 5200 that are getting more have all the setting on low.

about the fastwrites: try and get a newer BIOS version.

When you run aquamark, turn AA/AF/mipmap detail to eighter application preference or always off.

I had the same fastwrite resetting problem on my rig.. the solution was, and it boosted performance.. update your AGP drivers

Dunno if you have, or not, but it certainly fixed my AGP fastwrite reset problem, and boosted performance in games

Hope this helps

my mobo came with an updater.. but it crashes everytime.

i'll try updating the AGP drivers now..

and i did have those cat drivers.

and i think AA AF is always on app pref.

edit: also my score as in in 3dmark03 is 5098

aquamark doesn't turn aa/af off if you have it set to be one.

Your fps is great in AA:O if you have AA/AF on!

okay so then they are off.

what would be a better setting if i want them on? 8x?

and i'm not sure how do get this fastwrite working, i'm trying asus's website, but nothing is obvious. and no updates seem to be working

8x AF and 2x FSAA is prolly best for performance and still making it pleasing to the eye, I find.. but keep them off if you want to benchmark

Anyhow, are you looking to update your AGP drivers? What chipset does your motherboard use?

Edit: And to get the fast write working for me, I had to uninstall my ATI drivers/control panel, then uninstall my old AGP drivers, then install the latest AGP drivers, then reinstall the ATI drivers

well i just got this comp a week ago.. and i installed the latest drivers with it.. there were no old drivers ever on it.

i have a P4S800 ASUS mobo
SiS 648FX

if thats what your asking.. i do not know.

okay i installed those

it does nothing.. just shows me that fastwrite is disabled..

when i go to my bios.. it says fastwrite is enabled.. but then start it up and its cleary not.

dude...60fps outside in Americas Army with AF at 8x is really really really good....

Oh, and...everyone that owns a 9800pro, can you tell me what your clock speeds are at? Core -378, Memory -337 That sound right for a 9800pro?

i can't edit that first post.. i didn't have AA AF turned on. i was mistaken

and i'm shot i have absolutly no idea how to get this fastwrite on.

Originally posted by Ridic
dude...60fps outside in Americas Army with AF at 8x is really really really good....

Oh, and...everyone that owns a 9800pro, can you tell me what your clock speeds are at? Core -378, Memory -337 That sound right for a 9800pro?

You got it right, cept it's 337.5

Once again, make sure that after installing the Cat 3.7's that the slider settings under Direct3D and OpenGL are set to PERFORMANCE... as you wont notice the difference in quality when playing... But you WILL notice the extra 10FPS when benching..

okay good to know... but that doesn't sound this no fastwrite BS

i mean i'm honestly starting to doubt how this will handle hl2.. only 60 fps outside in AA with everything cranked...

gabe said a 9700 pro p4 2.0 could run hl2 maxed didn't he? but these guys are beating my in bench's..

Have you let SmartGART rerun to determine what's best for your computer since you reinstalled the AGP drivers?

always redoes the same things...

and they weren't really new drivers, i'm pretty sure i was all updated before.

FASTWRITES SHOULD STAY OFF.. Read ANY of the ATI or Omega Driver Readme's and they will ALWAYS say KEEP FW OFF!

i really don't care

when i click retest in SMARTGART it ptus fastwrite on.

but everytime i reboot it shows up as off.

even if you think they should be off.. the fact is i can't put them on.. AND I WANT TO.

Well, there is one thing I failed to mention..
.. i never formatted my harddrive when I upgraded my CPU and Motherboard.. not to mention I added 1024MB ram.
Could this have affected my benchmark performance?> I still make a 6047 on 3dMark03.

Originally posted by Quotidian---
i own like my sig says a 9800 pro.. and i'm not running neither as fast as i think i should be.

i'[ve checked all the compability and i'm running a nice rig.. it doesn't make sense

in Americas Army with everything cranked with AA and AF 8x AGP i get only 60 fps outside. 70-80 inside.

i know people with 5200's getting more than that...

and in the aquamark3d new benchmark.. i get a score of 17,000... which is EXTREMELY low.. when people with 9700's and p4 2.0 are getting 25,000+

i can't turn on AGP fastwrite either, it resets to off once it restarts(which it requires a restart).. i'm not sure if getting fastwrite alone would bump my score up that much

but according to someone else on a dif. forum.. he had the same problems, and installed some intel chip accelerators, which alowd him to turn on fastwrite and stay on after booting.. and his score went from 16,000 to 38,000+ and its very noticable..

i've tried the same thing, but every intel prog is not compatible with my chipset it says..

so i tried MSI and it installed actualy.. but seemed to have done nothing

please any help is wanted, i'm frustrated cuase this stuff is brand new.

Hey I went to the AM3 forums.. I got good news and bad news.
Good news..
Someone with the same shit going on has got his score up to 41k...
Bad news..
He had to format and install every goddamned thing.. I guess I better do it... especially if it'll help HL2 perform better.

Re: Re: frustration with the 9800 pro..

Originally posted by nsxownzme
Hey I went to the AM3 forums.. I got good news and bad news.
Good news..
Someone with the same shit going on has got his score up to 41k...
Bad news..
He had to format and install every goddamned thing.. I guess I better do it... especially if it'll help HL2 perform better.

****~! It didn't work, I formatted for nothing..! WTF IS WRONG!?

Lets see.. mobo drivers.. card drivers.. what else??

Yes, this is called PAT (Intel Performance Acceleration Technology) and I had the exact same problem, I could not turn on FW if I didn't enable PAT in BIOS, Windows will then install some drivers and ask you to reboot if you haven't had it enabled before.. Though I'm not really sure if I think fast write is better enabled on my puter. I get a little better fps but it feels like the games are running slower, almost a little bit in slow motion. It's weird. But I get about 10fps more in q3 with it turned on.

To my knowledge.. The fast write function enables the computer to send more data between cpu and gfx directly.. Without it passing through the system memory first. Pls, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

thats all fine, but i have a SiS chipset.. that PAT doesn't work for me when i dl it.

thats all fine, but i have a SiS chipset.. that PAT doesn't work for me when i dl it.
Probably because you have to turn it on first.. *hint* BIOS.

im also having probs... 9800pro on intel 2,6 ghz. Getting 10/30 fps in unreal2 and BF91942 (AA/AF off)..

My old motherboard did that when I tried installing my r9500pro, but it would shutoff in games, everyone told me to intall the AGP drivers and blah blah, i tried, didnt work, i just got a new motherboard, but you have a good motherboard. Try calling ASUS.

delete ASUS pc probe and install motherboard monitor 5

Back