Future developement of the MMO genre

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly when people think of MMOs they think of Everquest-style grinding and orcs and elves (well, they think World of Warcraft anyway). Games like Planetside and Eve Online have managed to break away from that and do their own things on a massively multiplayer scale. Is there interesting way you see MMOs getting developed beyond the standard RPG level up your character model?

I would be very interested in seeing an MMORTS with several factions (player run or pre-defined or both I don't know) fighting over a single large landmass with numerous resource points and cities. Players get control over a handful of squads at a time and can have more in reserve. Players go up in ranks over time, of course. Ranks allow more units to be deployed at once and better equipment for squads.

Basic unit types: Infantry, jeeps, trucks, tanks, artillery, helicopters, etc. Highly customisable. Units earn veterancy in the normal way; killing enemies and can also be put in training while not fighting, earning experience more slowly. High veterancy units can use more and better equipment, as well as obviously being better at combat. Base building takes time. Say a week to set up a full base. NPC units will guard bases, but bases also have to be kept in supply. Not just arbitrary control the zones like Company of Heroes, but actual supply trucks that can be raided on the way to their destination.

There would be no controllable planes, but if one faction built an airbase (would take a while) all commanders in the area can call in air support (unless denied the option by the higher-ups. I suppose some sort of hierarchy system like Eve's would be needed). Similar for large artillery batteries and other support abilities. High-ranking officers get priority for support. Also high ranking officers could call for NPC re-enforcements from nearby bases and order large-scale troop movements. Nuclear missiles/other superweapons could be used with realistic damage, but maybe taking several months to build and launch a missile.

Anyone else think this would be awesome? Or have any ideas for other ways a different type of MMOG could go?

Surely the problem is though Ríomhaire that such a game would favour the student gamer with bags of free time Vs a working professional like myself who might only snatch a few hours gaming a week?

Anyhows I'd say keep an eye out for all points Bulletin: -

www.apb.com

A little birdie in the beta tells me it might be quite good.

I would be very interested in seeing an MMORTS with several factions (player run or pre-defined or both I don't know) fighting over a single large landmass with numerous resource points and cities. Players get control over a handful of squads at a time and can have more in reserve. Players go up in ranks over time, of course. Ranks allow more units to be deployed at once and better equipment for squads.

Shattered Galaxy.

I would like to see a triple-A MMOFPS with this gen graphics, PvP but also co-op, weapon / armor / etc crafting, a working economy, and preferably vehicles. Although I will probably have a WoW relapse around the time when Cataclysm comes out.

What happens when to your troops when you're offline?

If they remain in combat they'll be running on AI and so won't be potentially as effective as under human command, if they're withdrawn what happens to your sector?

While it might be realistic I don't think anyone wants to see all they've worked for smashed by an enemy offensive while they were on holiday! :p Though equally, players who've taken the time to prepare for and carry out an attack while there arn't any enemy around would want thier planning to count for something.

How does veterancy work? If it is in the traditional RTS fashion you could loose months of combat experience in a single artillery strike. If it isn't, well, its a bit silly isn't it?

While it certainly has potential there are alot of issues associated with it.

What happens when to your troops when you're offline?
They stay out of the battles in a reserve.

If they remain in combat they'll be running on AI and so won't be potentially as effective as under human command, if they're withdrawn what happens to your sector?
You would have allies who WOULD be playing, so you can rely on them to hopefully keep your area.

While it might be realistic I don't think anyone wants to see all they've worked for smashed by an enemy offensive while they were on holiday! :p Though equally, players who've taken the time to prepare for and carry out an attack while there arn't any enemy around would want thier planning to count for something.
If it's an empire building MMO he wants, there are many browser-based ones. Yes, that is a problem, but it's a risk you take- it's easy for browser games to be able to do this, since someone who isn't totally into the game won't have spent money on it, so there would be no loss.

How does veterancy work? If it is in the traditional RTS fashion you could loose months of combat experience in a single artillery strike. If it isn't, well, its a bit silly isn't it?
When your units die they're simply taken out of the battle and, in the next battle, you use them again. The idea is you get more XP if you win the battle and your units survive than if you just get a couple kills.

While it certainly has potential there are alot of issues associated with it.

texts in bold

The problem with any of these things is they rely upon complete time commitment (which I'm not a fan of as a lifestyle recommendation)as well as a lot of out of game co-ordination & inherent trust. Look at some of the stuff that goes down in Eve for example with people turning (petty) tailcoat and wiping out years of player effort with a few mouse clicks.

Anyhows I'd say keep an eye out for all points Bulletin: -

www.apb.com

A little birdie in the beta tells me it might be quite good.
The beta atm is flawed to the point of "you must play at X time and day only" also "we are holding beta testing until Spring". Aside from that there is 1 server in the UK hosting the beta. On top of that there is MAJOR, I mean MAJOR technical issues with the game at the moment. It's more of an alpha. All I'm going to say about that because for some bat shit reason they want you to even refrain saying that your even in the beta. :LOL:

Anyways I would say DUST 514 for Eve is revolutionizing the MMO genre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVjggarRns

*Aside from it looking like the best MMO out there, it's very unique in that the players shape the game. The expansions are free and even the monthly payment can be free!

All I'm going to say about that because for some bat shit reason they want you to even refrain saying that your even in the beta. :LOL:

I think you'll find that's standard with most MMOs dude. Presently you see glass half empty, personally I see glass half full. Generally initial betas are pretty sparse and rudimentary in terms of play because the developers are really assessing how the server system handles connection and the bigger issues. Sure it might seem annoying that the servers are only up certain days, but 24/7 betas tend to end up become preview play sessions for the most part with testers if your not careful.

I think you'll find that's standard with most MMOs dude. Presently you see glass half empty, personally I see glass half full. Generally initial betas are pretty sparse and rudimentary in terms of play because the developers are really assessing how the server system handles connection and the bigger issues.
Well it's the first beta for an MMO that I have experienced. Though I would open up more servers in the UK and USA because that is the major player base. They even had problems I remember with their data collection system. There was these Vivox logs that would be huge multi-GB files with every playtest session as well. All I remember was my hard drive running constantly then the game would crash by saying it used so much RAM, that it ran out of it. :O The only users I recall who had an OK experience were people in London, England and who ran a Windows XP 32-bit OS. *They even had people crashing because they jumped. I mean jumping crashed the game.

Well it's the first beta for an MMO that I have experienced. Though I would open up more servers in the UK and USA because that is the major player base. They even had problems I remember with their data collection system. There was these Vivox logs that would be huge multi-GB files with every playtest session as well. All I remember was my hard drive running constantly then the game would crash by saying it used so much RAM, that it ran out of it. :O The only users I recall who had an OK experience were people in London, England and who ran a Windows XP 32-bit OS. *They even had people crashing because they jumped. I mean jumping crashed the game.

I'll take this to PMs because:-

1) You shouldn't be talking about it

2) getting into this will bore the shit out of anyone else but you or I.

Back