Future Of Netbooks/Laptops

Nabobalis

Tank
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the market for a laptop, but I was wondering, with the new Core i7 CPU and I assume Intel are planning new laptop CPUs and maybe something better than the Atom CPU. So would waiting for the next round of CPUs be a good idea?

There's always something better coming.

There's always something better coming.

:p I know that, but I haven't heard anything new aboutCPUs other than the i7s.

Just, don't want to jump on to the netbook ladder and have in a month a new CPU thats cheaper and better, I know thats the cycle but It seems for the netbooks, there isn't much choice when it comes to CPUs.

They could make a version of the Core i7 for laptops but I doubt it would hit power levels as low as the Atom they have in netbooks. But it would definitely be a more powerful CPU. If they made a laptop with a low powered i7 then it would also be this expensive. Not comparable to a netbook with atom CPU for $300-500 (the size of a notebook).

I've got a samsung NC-10 with an atom N270 ... it's every bit as epic as the reviews say it is. Lovely 6-cell battery and low-drain CPU give me around 6 hours on a single charge. Obviously, if you want a gaming laptop, you don't want a netbook. That said, I installed Steam and ye-olde original CS on my netbook and it runs amazingly well :D

The processor's power usage on this laptop is too much for the battery, so it lasts for maybe an hour with backlight on full, browsing the internet. Not so good.

Back