FX-53 in March, FX-55 in May

Asus

Reaction score
Roadmap

Many people thought that AMD didn't have enough head room, in their .13u CPUs, to even hit 2.6 before they hit .9u.

Everyone was thinking that it was going to be:
Intel's 3.6ghz Prescott vs AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 and Athlon 64 3700+.
Even the early roadmaps looked that way.

Guess the FX-55 and the 3800+ will be in the ring as well.
That's if Intel can manage to put out 3.6ghz of the Prescott core in time for the match. So far the only 3.4ghz P4 parts are the old Northwood and the ExtremelyExpensive.

AMD is even going to be entering the mid to low price zone with socket 754 CPUs (ondie memory controller) in Q3 '04.
Athlon XP 2800+ to 3200+ on socket 754 (32bit only).
Also A64 2800+ and the 3700+ will be out on socket 754 soon.

And of corse the higher end.
A64 3500+/3800+ on socket 939
A64 FX 53/55 also on socket 939
(socket 939 = dual channel and nForce3 250 pro mainboard)

I tell ya, AMD can only compete with Intel on all fronts if they made their A64 chips run 70C on load. ;)
I kid! I kid!

2.6ghz
Bah, I messed up the Link.
Here

Here is Intel's roadmap just for kicks.

I think that the speed for it hasn't been released yet.

Wow the 4200 has a 2.8gig clock speed, I bet it will only have 512kb cache.

I'm thinking if Intel pull something out of the bag that gives them the edge, AMD will introduce the FX56 at 2.8 gig with 1MB cache.

By that time they will be on .9u and clocking should be easy but people with dual CPUs could always just switch over to WinXP64 and use that 10gb/s bandwidth. ;)

Damn AMD are really ahead of intel. Im just glad im a AMD fan, never had an intel never plan on having one for the prices they charge either :p

Lucid, probably in time for intel to release their new cpu's so AMD will still be ahead.

There is one good thing from this....the FX53 will eventually go down in price :D i think next upgrade i do will either be a cheap AMD64 3200+ or right to 939 AMD FX53.

Will this mean for example, the other cpu will come down in price ? :)

We talked about it a little on here, I think, maybe... But I wouldn't put any stock at all in any roadmaps you've seen that extend even into the midrange from Intel. AMD and Intel will both be going for multi-core soon (and quit pushing the GHz), as Intel has recognized the thermal failure in Prescott. AMD definitely looks to be ahead tech-wise until then, but once that happens, it's difficult to project where that will leave the two.

simmo, the Athlon 64 very likely will be coming down in price for one reason or another. AMD just introduced it's socket 939 largely so that it could differentiate between the Opteron and the FX series. The end result is keeping value in the Opteron for more serious (and expensive) applications, providing a clear choice of processor for the enthusiast/high-end workstation, and providing the Athlon 64 for high performance with relatively low cost (effectively segmenting it into low, mid, high). We'll see though.

Back