G-Man's TV Music

Reaction score
Why does that music play when he's on? Any ideas? The song is freaking creepy, too. I went in the GCF and found it in the music folder, it's "Radio1.mp3"

That music creeps me out like the video in "The Ring" (it reminds me of exactly that)

What tool can I use to open GCF files? I tried googling for it, but nada.

I heard about that radio thingy before, so it is one more reason to be able to open the GCF's. :)

TX WarHawk said:
What tool can I use to open GCF files? I tried googling for it, but nada.

I heard about that radio thingy before, so it is one more reason to be able to open the GCF's. :)

GCFscape.

There are a couple TV/Breencast appearences but the one I know has the music is right at the start of Anticitizen One (I think) -- Right after DOG rips open the combine thing for you and then flies away on a combine dropship

yes, let those ground crunching things do their thing once after Dog flies off in Anticitezin one, then walk over the bent fence. go through the rubble thing, hear the music. there's an elevator on the left with the G-Man's suitcase in it, and go in the room on the right and look at the tv. If you zoom in on it quickly as you turn the corner to see it, he's standing in a boat or something. Tv flickers off.

There is no sound more scary than the super fast zombie things fast breathing... file name pz_breath_loop2

I get really really scared whenever I hear that, cause I remeber ravenholm. It was a part where they all starting calling out to eachother, jumping from building to building for me, so I thought "I'll just shut this door, so they cant get in" I shut the door, I hear them all run past with that horrible breathing sound. I think, ok, well, they cant get me. I hear the breathing suddenly get louder, I turn around, and there is 1 jumping out at me from the shadows.... it somehow found its way inside... Curse you valve for giving such scary things smart brains :(

(copied this from a post I just made in the General forum)

After receiving a tip on how to view the sound files for the game (since I haven't gotten to the television part yet), I listened to the music that plays while he is on tv. It is definitely creepy, and if I didn't know any better, I would swear it was made by a band called "Boards of Canada".

Which got me thinking...on their latest album "Geogaddi", a lot of their music uses a technique called backwards masking, where playing something backwards produces a different sound or voice. One song in particular, if played backwards, sounds exactly the same as when you play it normally.

The G-Man TV song really intrigued me, and I decided to take it into Cool Edit and reverse it. The end of the song retains the laughing you can hear in the background, which I didn't find too surprising.

However, the beginning of the song is exactly the same when you play it backwards.

Stuff like this really creeps me out for some reason, but I am very fascinated by it.

This brings me to another point: the first time I heard the G-Man speak in Half-Life 2 (the intro on the train), I knew something sounded odd. A lot of people comment how his speech pattern is very weird, but I have a feeling something else is going on here. Certain words like "different" and "place" sound as if they were recorded with the actor ready the word backwards, and then reversing it. Confused?

A similar method was used on David Lynch's show "Twin Peaks". For one of the episodes, he had actors trained to deliver their entire lines backwards. It sounds like jibberish to anyone watching, but if you play their lines backwards, they make out actual sentences.

(here's a website for anyone interested in backwards masking: http://www.triplo.com/ev/reversal/)

I have a feeling this is what was done for G-Man's speeches, but a little more complicated. Some of his lines are delivered flawlessly, without that awkward feeling that I can't really describe...I am guessing that when G-Man's dialogue was recorded, certain phrases were delivered backwards by the actor, and other lines were delivered normally. Then, the backwards (now forwards, but eerie) words were intercut with the regular dialogue, creating his odd speech pattern.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am really interested to hear some ideas.

I would like to hear the music filtered from the radio1 since there seems to be some kind of talk behind the music but it's too hard to tell what as the music plays.

Iced_Cooly said:
(copied this from a post I just made in the General forum)

After receiving a tip on how to view the sound files for the game (since I haven't gotten to the television part yet), I listened to the music that plays while he is on tv. It is definitely creepy, and if I didn't know any better, I would swear it was made by a band called "Boards of Canada".

Which got me thinking...on their latest album "Geogaddi", a lot of their music uses a technique called backwards masking, where playing something backwards produces a different sound or voice. One song in particular, if played backwards, sounds exactly the same as when you play it normally.

The G-Man TV song really intrigued me, and I decided to take it into Cool Edit and reverse it. The end of the song retains the laughing you can hear in the background, which I didn't find too surprising.

However, the beginning of the song is exactly the same when you play it backwards.

Stuff like this really creeps me out for some reason, but I am very fascinated by it.

This brings me to another point: the first time I heard the G-Man speak in Half-Life 2 (the intro on the train), I knew something sounded odd. A lot of people comment how his speech pattern is very weird, but I have a feeling something else is going on here. Certain words like "different" and "place" sound as if they were recorded with the actor ready the word backwards, and then reversing it. Confused?

A similar method was used on David Lynch's show "Twin Peaks". For one of the episodes, he had actors trained to deliver their entire lines backwards. It sounds like jibberish to anyone watching, but if you play their lines backwards, they make out actual sentences.

(here's a website for anyone interested in backwards masking: http://www.triplo.com/ev/reversal/)

I have a feeling this is what was done for G-Man's speeches, but a little more complicated. Some of his lines are delivered flawlessly, without that awkward feeling that I can't really describe...I am guessing that when G-Man's dialogue was recorded, certain phrases were delivered backwards by the actor, and other lines were delivered normally. Then, the backwards (now forwards, but eerie) words were intercut with the regular dialogue, creating his odd speech pattern.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am really interested to hear some ideas.

Let's use your thread since you actually found info about it though. That's really creepy stuff you found.

I made a new thread also in the General Forum regarding backwards audio, since now it's been found the zombies talk backwards.

Are you guys sure that that was the G-man's briefcase? By the way, there is also this creepy one-eyed babydoll in the elevator with it and when you pick it up with the gravity gun, it makes this creepy baby doll giggle noise. Do you think the G-man left it behind? I guess that would explain why he's so cranky looking...

Back