Gabe claimed the X800 is 40% faster than

Gorgon

Reaction score
the GeForce 6800 for Half Life 2 and and confirmed that we’ll see Half Life 2 this summer.

ATi today launced the X800 graphics card and had machine exhibits ready for attendees to see the “Ruby” demo. The Ruby demo has been released onto CD for attendees to view and see the effects that the X800 can render in real time. The demo was very impressive but was not a touch on the demo by Gabe Newell from Valve. This stole the whole keynote to actually see some new footage from Half Life 2. Again we got the whole video which is approximately 3 minutes long and as soon as we find somewhere with firewire we’ll get it on here asap because it’s one to watch! Gabe claimed the X800 is 40% faster than the GeForce 6800 for Half Life 2 and confirmed that we’ll see Half Life 2 this summer.

:rolleyes:
Edit:Source:http://www.neowin.net/events/index.php?cat=2

"Again we got the whole video which is approximately 3 minutes long and as soon as we find somewhere with firewire we’ll get it on here asap because it’s one to watch!"

I'm waiting!

lol yeah thats on Neowin i think, somone already posted it, but id like to see the vid!

And he was talking about a HL2 video not the ruby thing

its been hl2 overdose over the past week and its not letting up.

Did any of you download that Headcrab video those students got? im just registering now to get it lol.

You can't download the student's video atm, the ftp server has reached max users.

Lobster said:
Did any of you download that Headcrab video those students got? im just registering now to get it lol.

Yes I did, if you want I can upload it to u.

lol I registered to there forum, and im downloading it now.

I got a load of newsletters this morning from various gaming sites ive accidently had to register with over the years, Everyone seems to be getting hyped up for HL2 and E3.

Lobster tell me if it's worth the download! :)

Skull said:
Lobster tell me if it's worth the download! :)

If you want to see a shakey cam video of a twitching headcrab, then sure! its nothing really, but if your as HL2 obsessed as me every tiny thing seems groundbreakingly important.

thank god.

All those little nvidia whores can bugger off again. :eek: *sigh of relief*

in the past 5 months ive had like 500 arguements with fanboys of nvidia.

won't bother to register :/
/me downloads the rx800 demo instead!

all you see it the headcrab in the HL2 modelviewer, and it's doing some moves... nothing special really (it's about 10 seconds long..

Damn! I would never have imagined we would see realtime SSS in the near future. Pretty damn impressive imo.

And that Ruby thing is really really corny and cheesy, but graphically very nice.

Varsity said:
OBE: Yes, watch www.neowin.net for it.

What is SSS?

Sub-surface scattering. Where light is not directly reflected by the surface an object but first it's scattered beneath the surface and then reflected. This happens with organic substances and rock like marble (if thin enough) It adds some real sense of scale and volume.

SSS = Sub Surface Scattering

Edit: What he said :D

P.S. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

G0rgon said:
Gabe claimed the X800 is 40% faster than the GeForce 6800 for Half Life 2 and confirmed that we’ll see Half Life 2 this summer.

Didn't gabe says it was going to be released last september 2003!??!? why the **** should we ever believe him again....

40% faster eh? im a bit sceptical of that. from benchmarks ive seen so far it could go either way. some benchmarks x800 is on top, some 6800 is on top. but now all of a sudden a 40% increase with hl2? just dont smell right. want to see some hard evidence :)

yes Gabe said Sept 2003, but only cause vivendi told em to so spew your hate at them

Mac said:
40% faster eh? im a bit sceptical of that. from benchmarks ive seen so far it could go either way. some benchmarks x800 is on top, some 6800 is on top. but now all of a sudden a 40% increase with hl2? just dont smell right. want to see some hard evidence :)

I think you may be confusing the X800Pro and the X800XT. The pro is the 399 version that is roughly equal, if not better, than the 6800Ultra. The X800XT is 499, and is hands down the champion, with *every* game that supported 1600x1200 playable at 1600x1200 *with* AA and AF.

See this if you don't believe me

If I were to get one of those new x800 cards on a 2.4GHz, 512 RAM computer, would it "match" my system specs or would the card make my computer run slower or faster?

If I were to get one of those new x800 cards on a 2.4GHz, 512 RAM computer, would it "match" my system specs or would the card make my computer run slower or faster?

wondering the same thing, it doubt it would make it any slower, but it would be nice to know if it'll be worth the $$$ to upgrade, I'm guessing yes.

Evil^Milk said:

Probably match. The 2.4Ghz should just be enough to prevent a bottleneck.

TheWart said:
The X800XT is 499, and is hands down the champion, with *every* game that supported 1600x1200 playable at 1600x1200 *with* AA and AF.

See this if you don't believe me

Not by a long shot. According to Anandtech the 6800 Ultra beats the X800XT in Jedi Academy, X2 The Threat, RTCW, Neverwinter Nights, even at 1600x1200 with AA and AF. It also loses at Aquamark 3.
I've always owned ATI and have never purchased NVidia, but come on, let's keep our facts straight here.

EDIT: Poor wording on my part, it is the X800XT that looses at Aquamark 3.

CoreyGH said:
Not by a long shot. According to Anandtech the 6800 Ultra beats the X800XT in Jedi Academy, X2 The Threat, RTCW, Neverwinter Nights, even at 1600x1200 with AA and AF. It also loses at Aquamark 3.
I've always owned ATI and have never purchased NVidia, but come on, let's keep our facts straight here.

Two (maybe three? I don't know if X:2 is) of those games being OpenGL, so they're obviously going to do better. Also, perhaps you didn't notice, but in all the other games the x800XT was superior. Hmm.

Yeah well but some of you might have noticed that those games aren't fully Directx 9.0... On Anandtech, we see that the R420 wins in Directx 9.0 games, and that's what we need.

Back