Gabe Newell Wins Industry Honour.

Dekstar

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Congratulations are in order for Gabe Newell, who has won the 2010 Game Developers Choice Awards 'Pioneer' award.[br]

The pioneer award, which first showed at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards, is for those who are 'responsible for developing a vital technology or game design at a crucial juncture in video game history, paving the way for the many who followed them'.[br]
Steam is this vital technology. Not only has it helped the Valve team bring award-winning games like Half-Life 2, Portal and Team-fortress 2 to our computers, but it has brought us a constantly growing list of non-Valve games, from AAA titles to Indie classics.[br]

Gabe Newell will be getting up on stage in front of over 3,000 of the industry's top developers at GDC 2010, held in San Francisco this March.[br]

Excellent work, Gabe.

Probably overdue, but the last year has made Steam extremely hard to ignore.

I though Gabe has won the honour for setting up the delaying release date tradition and vapourwares trend.

I'd like more games from Valve, but Steam is indeed a great service.

Congrats to Gabe! \o/

Also, all the guys who work at Valve need some thanks too. Gabe didn't do it alone!

Holy shit, I wonder if I can get time off from work to see it.

69bc7cde8cl580pxjpg.jpg

I though Gabe has won the honour for setting up the delaying release date tradition and vapourwares trend.

Duke Nukem Forever was announced in 1997. Many years later (May 8, 2009), the Forever staff got the boot from 2K games. They are the once and future kings of vapourware, though I still feel bad for them.

Valve isn't the first company to delay games, and will not be the last. They had better get Episode 3 done very soon all the same.

Back