Gabe Sez: ...

X

Xtasy0

While independent tests suggest that ATI's new chip was at least on par with Nvidia's fastest offerings, the developer of one of the most eagerly awaited 3D games confirmed that the X800 is the fastest chip on the market, at least in running its own code. "In terms of performance, it's pretty fast," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve Software, the developer of Half-Life II. "When I say 'pretty fast' I mean that its 40 percent faster in internal testing, faster than any next-generation parts that are coming out. That's a huge advantage in developing a game."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1584386,00.asp

[edit]

and also

Half-Life II will be finished this summer, Newell said.

Interesting news, not surprising of course, but interesting.

gabe is on retainer to ATI... i like him and all, and i think HL2 will be great. nonetheless, he is being paid huge fat sacks of cash to promote ATI. I don't think he's more reliable than any of the hardware sites.

that said, maybe HL2 will run 40% faster on ATI cards (i hope!)

Fat sacks of cash or not....i think he is telling the truth....

He said Half Life 2 will be finished for summer. Not released for summer.

Quite. I picked up on the fact he said "Finished" not "released". I don't think its anything we should be concerned about though, just different wording.

I think I should get an ATI card then.. :sleep:

I'll be picking up an X880 XT once we get a HL2 release date, SDK and benchmark. I'm pretty convinced that we'll see HL2 in July/August.

Delgarto said:
He said Half Life 2 will be finished for summer. Not released for summer.

of course, so the plan is to finish it in july, then sit on it until november.....(that makes alot of sense) (im not being sarcastic)(really, im not, if i was i would have used sarcastic tags, like this)

[sarcasm]YUO AER TEH FUNNEH[/sarcasm]

I still stand by my prediction that something big, (IE Gold) could be coming out of E3, we'll just wait and see though won't we.

WillH said:
I still stand by my prediction that something big, (IE Gold) could be coming out of E3, we'll just wait and see though won't we.

I agree, although I think it won't be a Gold announcement (since Valve said they 'hoped' to simply give a release date)...I think it will be something about TF2, which I have been waiting for since the video of the 'lip-synch' tech they had made came out many, many moons ago.

i will pick up the better card... i wana see a list of graphs of games with GF6 v 800

Here comes the Half Life² HYPE WAVE again,
and before we know it, they pull back the release date to
30 september of this year. :D ;)

Yay, go the hype wave. I haven't been around since the leak, but here i am, failing more subjects thanks to hl2.net.

In fact, it had been so long that i forgot my password. Ah well, start from 0 once more.

[pioneer] said:
Here comes the Half Life² HYPE WAVE again,
and before we know it, they pull back the release date to
30 september of this year. :D ;)

The sad thing is you're probably right.

Back