Game Development With SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gsccc

Hello all, I recently read in an article interviewing Bill Van Buren, that the XSI EXP and the HalfLife 2 SDK would not only be capable of creating mods but would also be capable of creating games. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of how I might be able to access the feature to create my own game with the HalfLife 2 engine? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
-GSCCC

If you want to create your own game with the Source engine you have to license it.

Gsccc said:
Hello all, I recently read in an article interviewing Bill Van Buren, that the XSI EXP and the HalfLife 2 SDK would not only be capable of creating mods but would also be capable of creating games. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of how I might be able to access the feature to create my own game with the HalfLife 2 engine? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
-GSCCC
Lets not be worrying about making games

- you wont be snapped up by some publisher

- your game wont be unique

- you wont live a life of luxury after your first game

- you wont be the next Bill Gates

- You can't afford to licence any decent engine

With that in mind, go make mods, make them good, learn the tools, learn how to do everything, go to school, get a good education, earn money and then maybe think about making a game when you've got backing and your name out there.

You can create your own game but you cant sell it.

This Goddamn Site's Forums said:
Source Powered Games
Forum
Half-Life: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Twilight War: After the Fall
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Well, duh.

Uhhh, hmm. Well is there any way I can get them to let me use their engine? If my company pays them a certain percent in royalties?

The Dark Elf said:
Lets not be worrying about making games

- you wont be snapped up by some publisher

- your game wont be unique

- you wont live a life of luxury after your first game

- you wont be the next Bill Gates

- You can't afford to licence any decent engine

With that in mind, go make mods, make them good, learn the tools, learn how to do everything, go to school, get a good education, earn money and then maybe think about making a game when you've got backing and your name out there.
Wrong Wrong Wrong. Im not looking to be Bill Gates, im not looking to live a life of luxury, I CAN afford a decent game engine,im not some 14 year old kid who says "Hey, lets make a game". No I have a game, and I heard that these guys will let me use their engine so I would just like to know if that is possible.

Gsccc said:
Wrong Wrong Wrong. Im not looking to be Bill Gates, im not looking to live a life of luxury, I CAN afford a decent game engine,im not some 14 year old kid who says "Hey, lets make a game". No I have a game, and I heard that these guys will let me use their engine so I would just like to know if that is possible.
no offence, man, but if you didn't know that you could use a third party engine to create games, it doesn't speak volumes for your technical know-how.

And if you can afford the Source engine, you probably already have a life of luxury! :)

If your looking to liscence the engine, why the hell are you asking us?

E-mail Gabe.

Phosis said:
If your looking to liscence the engine, why the hell are you asking us?

E-mail Gabe.
Probably a good idea, think I'll do that. Thanks for the help.

he doesn't seem to understand how much you can do 'just' making a mod. If you could make a Game, proper, you don't need us telling you what to do. If your objection is that you won't be able to charge money for selling a mod, you may be wrong on that count, too. Valve has murmered about letting SOURCE-mod teams sell their work over Steam. So maybe there will be something in-between a full-blown engine-license and just a large-scale mod project. So I suggest you mail Newell about it.

Talk is free, as the Redguards say.

E-Mailing Valve would probably result in better answers than provided here (no offense).

SuperflyCol said:
no offence, man, but if you didn't know that you could use a third party engine to create games, it doesn't speak volumes for your technical know-how.

Thats exactly what I was thinking....

eh, whatever... asfaik, Unreal Tech was $300,000 for a liscence (tde, correct me?) and Source will probably run you about the same, or more...

The Dark Elf said:
Thats exactly what I was thinking....
Thanks for the shoot down but I think im going to try. I dont care what it seems like, im going to do it, and if they say no, fine. But at least in the end it wont be because i gave up because you guys tell me it cant happen, rather than trying to the bitter end. Now i really dont think we need to further extend this convo anymore. Any other comments would only be flames on how dumb i am or whatever I dont care. I have gotten the help I need so I'll be leaving now. Just do me a favor and lock the thread.

Gsccc said:
Thanks for the shoot down but I think im going to try. I dont care what it seems like, im going to do it, and if they say no, fine. But at least in the end it wont be because i gave up because you guys tell me it cant happen, rather than trying to the bitter end. Now i really dont think we need to further extend this convo anymore. Any other comments would only be flames on how dumb i am or whatever I dont care. I have gotten the help I need so I'll be leaving now. Just do me a favor and lock the thread.
It's not a shoot down, its common sense.. you want to go buy a licence to an engine with no previous examples of what your capable of, you've shown you have little knowledge as to whats even involved. You aren't even willing to try things the cheap way (mods) to see if your "company" is even capable of doing it. That just shows bad business sense, jumping into something with no knowledge of what your doing.

Of course people will laugh at you, its like me saying im gonna go be a programmer tomorrow with no programming knowledge to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back