game unavailable?!?!

Nostradamus

Reaction score
unlocked fine but it says that the game is unavailable when i try to run it! argh :rolling:

Guys, try renaming your "source engine.gcf" to something else like "_source engine.gcf". Run steam and it will reload that file. Let me know if it solves your problem. The cache file is about 68MB.

Thanks,
Rick Ellis
Valve

My preload stopped at 75%, now im getting the error msg from steam.

I know that my preload isn't complete, I've been trying to get it to resume but steam keeps giving me the error msg " the game is unavailable, please try again later"

Peeved off

Well Rick I am also having problems. Received the game from amazon this morning. Completed all the downloads correctly I believe. Click on playing game and after a wait I get 'unable to authenticate original disk within time limit'

WHat is this exactly????

Rick Ellis said:
What error message are you getting exactly?

Rick
Valve

I notice valve forums are up the creek. Presumebly because it has been overrun with seriously annoyed purchasers who can't get the game to run and want their money back.

dz, have you tried to stop/restart Steam? Do you own a copy of the game or were you just preloading?

Thanks,
Rick
Valve

omg i have the same problem i try to load hl2 and it says its currently unavailable ive been trying to get it to work since 8 this morning what the hell is going on

im having an identical problem (says unavailable), and i was preloading. when it released and my download/unlock finished, it just gave me that message.

i tried restarting and everything... i tried your idea of renaming the "source engine" file, and reloading it from steam. i also tried renaming the hl2 content file (~800mb) and reloading that from steam...

still says that the game is unavailable

This will be my 3rd time trying to get halflife2 to download through steam.

Don't waste your time, the steam servers are so congested at the moment which is what is most likely causing our problems.

I had this too. But after that I inserted my HL2 DVD and now it works :p. I hope this solves the problem yor you too ;)

Back