Gamespot's Doom 3 Review

SFLUFAN

Reaction score
Looks like id didn't pay Gamespot as much as they paid the other media who reviewed the game. :naughty:

I'm only kidding - I respect id a lot and am ENJOYING their game enormously. :angel:

However, Gamespot pointed out many of the flaws that have already been mentioned by several other posters and as a result gave Doom 3 a score that I do agree with for the most part (though I might have given slightly higher) of 8.5.

Shouldn't this be in the Doom 3 section, at the top of the page ?

Yeah seen that, I would have to call bs on that review. Doom 3 so far has been a good game for me, Ive been enjoying it big time. I heard they gave farcry a better score and I cant stand that game.

Oh sorry...didn't notice it.

Feel free to kill this one mods!

It was a really nitpicky review. It seemed that they wanted the imps and zombies to form up a squad and shout "flank left! flank right!" The flashlight would be pointless if you could use it while you had a weapon out. There would be no point to ever turn it off. I just bought the game yesterday and WOW! It is amazing. I jumped at points. It also runs on my 9700 Pro at high settings nicely.

doom3 isnt mohaa
doom3 isnt far cry
doom3 isnt cod
doom3 isnt soliders heroes of ww2
doom3 isnt half life
doom3 is doom3

lol - words of wisdom XD

Doom3 has pretty gfx
Doom3 is a little repetitive
Doom3 has good sound
Doom3 has uninspired fighting
Doom3 has good atmosphere
Doom3 is a pretty good game
Doom3 isn't as good as it could have been

And there are a lot of stupid gamers that pitched in their own reviews. They gave it like 9.4 when they only played 2 hours of the game. Wtf?
How can you review the game if you only played 2 hours of it? If that were the case, I would have given this game a 9.6 or something because the first 2 hours were awesome. After that, it got boring and repetitive. Pretty much all you fight are imps. Nothing but damn imps. I wanted more pinky demons! There were like 7 in the whole game.

DooM 3 looks to be dissapointing for some. I hope VALVe have done a better job with HL-2!

mortiz said:
DooM 3 looks to be dissapointing for some. I hope VALVe have done a better job with HL-2!

I'm guessing they have. I do think reviewers and players expected more than just a run-and-gun shooter. HL2 is definitely not going to be like that.

Wow when they had all that doom 3 stuff over their pages i was expecting high 9's

Reflects my views on the game. But i would probably give it a 8/10

IMO, and from what I've heard/seen/played, it's very fair and balanced.

usually when a game like doom3 comes out it takes like 2-3 months before all the kickass mods come out then everyone will be like 10/10

Very true review - I'd personally give it a 8.7 or 9.0, because gamespot for some reason gave it 8/10 in sound - while the sound design is fantastic!

Really...an 8? Gamespot seemed the most biased about Doom 3 then everyone else. "Why can't I hold a flashlight...why is the bot stronger than me...Why is bigger-better...why...why...why" Jeez, they sound like spoiled children. Most of their "negative" comments are based all around on personal wants. And definitely mention what’s with the nitpicking about the sounds?? So the pistol and shotgun sound like shit, the whole ambient noise and voice work clearly makes up for that (No Sound - No Fear). An 8 or a 7 for sound? 10 is more like it.

And I don't get what’s with the negative comments about the AI and disappearing bodies? We could've gotten cannon fodder o' Serious Sams, but they were given at least a hint of intelligence (Z-Sector/Soldiers can find cover, Demons maneuver). We know disappearing bodies and gibbing on the human characters suck...but Demon's disintegrating unreasonable? Most of us (including myself) complain bout it…main reason....ragdoll's fun. However, the visual of vaporization is very appropriate.

Yeah there was SOO much more that could have been done...but got to remember...this is Doom....its an exceptional successor.

Speculator said:
Yeah there was SOO much more that could have been done...but got to remember...this is Doom

Yeh, and as it stands is just a good, solid game. Certainly not a great game, though. 8/10 is a fair score.

(all this 'it wasn't trying to be anything more than Doom' stuff is a cop out, imo. Doom 3 could/should have been better)

The review does concede that Doom fans will appreciate it more, but without that bias, they gave it 8.5.

What more can you really add to it? It wasn't a sequal at all. It was a remake of the first Doom. Doom has always been about run n' gun action. This is even surpasses the original. It successfully added a immersive, moody atmosphere.

I was never a Doom fan to begin with, never even finished the original, and Doom 3 was just on my top games to get list. This is just my complaint on the biased views of Gamespot.

Its a good game with a pretty immersive storyine (even cliche's were minimal)....yet even Far Cry tops its score on Gamespot :rolleyes:

Speculator - the truth is, even though Doom 3 is a true remake of Doom - the kind of run and gun action just doesn't impress many gamers anymore. I have 4 diehard D3 fanboy friends who made fun of me just because I actually considered HL2 to be better. In the end, they were pretty dissapointed. Even Far cry's gameplay is eventually better than D3's. However, from a technical standpoint - D3 is unmatched! no doubt about it.

lans i think you need to change your hl2 sig status :)

Back