Garry's Mod: Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's Garry's Mod?
"Garry's Mod is a sandbox mod for the Source Engine. Unlike normal games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. Players are given tools and are left to entertain themselves.

The player is in a world where objects can be created and destroyed on demand. Where people can be created and destroyed with the click of a mouse. A world made for him. A world he made."

Which version should I get?

There are two versions of Garry's Mod. Free (version 9 and lower) and Retail (version 10). Garry's Mod used to be, well, a mod of Half-life 2: Deathmatch. Even though you can still download the free version, is no longer supported by Garry (for good reasons) and we recommend you get the retail version from Steam. It's the best $10 investment you'll make.

What do I need Garry's Mod?
Garry's Mod 9: You must own Counter-Strike: Source.
Garry's Mod 10: You must own a Source engine game such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, or Day of Defeat: Source. View the full list here.

I created a multiplayer game and others cannot see it. Help!

If you're behind a router and players cannot see your server (listen or dedicated), you must forward port 27015 to your machine. There is a great website on port forwarding, portfoward.com. Just select the model you have and follow the steps. Note if you're using DHCP, you'll have to set your machine to a static IP address or set a static DHCP address.

How do I add custom content?

The best place to find add-ons and maps is from the Facepunch Studios Forums. There you can find the official downloads from the creators. It's more trustworthy than garrysmod.org and you'll be guarrenteed to have the latest version. In either case, once you download a file, see what's in it. Then do the following:

For add-ons, extract the file (usually zip or rar) to your desktop. You should have a folder with the name of the add-on. Inside that, you should see multiple folders of randomness. What you want to look for is an info.txt. Copy or move the folder that contains the info.txt to your Garry's Mod add-ons directory (Default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<steam id>\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\).

For maps, simply copy the mapname.bsp to your Garry's Mod maps directory Garry's Mod add-ons directory (Default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<steam id>\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\). Note that some maps come with resources such as sounds and textures.

You should always reffer to the authors instructions (readme) for installing more complex add-ons and maps.

An add-on wants me to use a subversion (SVN) client. What is that?

Subversion is a way for developers to keep a repository of their code and be able to check in and check out files. This great system has been misused in the Garry's Mod world. It's not meant for a download system. However, when some more advanced developers started using it to allow easy access for beta testers, all the other developers wanted it to be "cool".

With that said, the easist way to use Subversion is use a Subversion client. A popular Windows client is Tortoise SVN. After installing it, you'll need to create a folder inside your add-ons folder (Default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<steam id>\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\), right-click on it and select Checkout. Enter in the URL of the repository and click OK. Then enter in a username and password (if applicable). All this information should be givin to you by the add-on developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back