Gears of War PC to require Live for online play.

Live meaning Vista only for online play?

FFS.

Just when I thought MS was heading in the right direction...

so almost every Microsoft console game will be vista only. GREAT! :frown:

Am I missing something here? We already basically knew it was going to require Vista (it's a new Microsoft game, what else could we expect) - will you have to have a Live account for playing this online on the PC?

Was it ever said anywhere that GFWL is Vista only? Cause they did say that GOW was XP and Vista so....Live on XP?

Am I missing something here? We already basically knew it was going to require Vista (it's a new Microsoft game, what else could we expect) - will you have to have a Live account for playing this online on the PC?

They are going to release it for XP and Vista. They now just said that you need Vista for online play.

That sucks. It's in online co-op and multiplayer that GoW really shines.

AFAIK it's been said that Gears will run on XP. I wonder if there will be online co-op? Because Gears of War's multiplayer kinda sucks, but co-op is great.

Because Gears of War's multiplayer kinda sucks, but co-op is great.

:eek:

GoW is one of the best multiplayer games i've played. Get 8 mates together and it puts most tactical shooters to absolute shame. Don't get me wrong, co-op GoW is good, but MP is the real star.

Live != Vista only!

It's going to be available for both XP and Vista, multiplayer and all. All you need is to register a Live account and you're set. It takes like a minute to set up a Silver level account.

How much Live account cost a year ? is there a free version ?

I'm actually saving the 1 month gold trail I got from my Halo 2 pc box and going to use it when stuff really get underway with more Live games.

F*ck Microsoft with this Live bullshit. Computer MP has worked well for years without it.

The only good news is that Peter Moore is leaving MS.

Live != Vista only!

It's going to be available for both XP and Vista, multiplayer and all. All you need is to register a Live account and you're set. It takes like a minute to set up a Silver level account.

Oh, hot shit.

:eek:

GoW is one of the best multiplayer games i've played. Get 8 mates together and it puts most tactical shooters to absolute shame. Don't get me wrong, co-op GoW is good, but MP is the real star.

I thought it was horribly awkward, with way too little control for players. The way cover works is strict, you don't have the same level of control you have in an FPS with crouch, prone, and lean. And for some reason sprinting handles like riding a motorcycle.

Yeah, I hate the stick-to-walls thing. Vegas did it much better.

Live != Vista only!

I thought live was vista only. Are you telling me someone will be able to buy Gow for XP and install live on xp and use it to play online.

Live != Vista only!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't games for Windows Live require a GOLD account to play online with others? This would be the first exception to this rule if you're speaking the truth.

Kotaku said:
The good news? it's free. Yes, you can put your torches down, angry mob. Registering is a minor inconvenience, one that will hopefully sap less than a few minutes of your life.

Seems like a first to me, interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't games for Windows Live require a GOLD account to play online with others? This would be the first exception to this rule if you're speaking the truth.
Gold is only required if you want achievements and ability to play against xbox users in games that allow that.

Considering the goal of the "Games for Windows" plan to make things clear and unified, they sure are setting a lot of confusion about their Live service.

Another kick in the balls for Vista.

Yay! :D

no you dont....gold only allows you to host servers and something else which i dont remember.

Well, you should try to remember, because at least when the 360 was launched, you needed to have a paid gold account to play online.

I can't find anywhere that says that it's free now, only things saying that to play online with the 360 you need to pay.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+xbox+live+play+online+now&btnG=Google+Search

To play online with Windows, you only need the free Silver live account though:
• PC to PC multiplayer including browsing a list of active PC games is free
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Live/Pages/AboutLive.aspx

I will never ever pay for Live. EVER
I find it insanely moronic to pay money to play online games. Even MMO's.

Problem = 360 broken
Solution = Buy a PC which can do everything and more

I'm going to make a prophecy - Live for Windows, if allowed to keep growing and be implemented into more games, will be the ultimate downfall of PC multiplayer

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point

I will never ever pay for Live. EVER
I find it insanely moronic to pay money to play online games. Even MMO's.

Live is free ..windows live Gold is not ..it allows for cross platform play

oh and mmos are worth the added money if you take into account the average player pla time is in the hundreds of hours + there's always new content + running servers populated with thousands of people costs money

I'm going to make a prophecy - Live for Windows, if allowed to keep growing and be implemented into more games, will be the ultimate downfall of PC multiplayer

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point

I can't see how it does anything but improve the experience, and that is it's intention. Think 'Xbox Live, for free.'

Why would they create something to cause the downfall of PC multiplayer?

Their intention is to promote a great experience for their Windows platform.

Haha, downfall of PC multiplayer? Hahah, guys, you must have missed the memo from the 90s where they detailed that the Microsoft is doomed/evil thing is totally out of style.

I'll just be thankful I don't have to use shit like Gamespy to play multiplayer

I can't see how it does anything but improve the experience, and that is it's intention. Think 'Xbox Live, for free.'

Why would they create something to cause the downfall of PC multiplayer?

Their intention is to promote a great experience for their Windows platform.
I already have a great experience on my Windows machine without it. As far as I can tell it is completely unnecessary, sort of like the branding of PC games with the Games For Windows logo, only much more intrusive. Doesn't it bother you that Microsoft wants everyone to use Live for every game? What's wrong with the multiplayer setup for a game like BF2, where it's tailored for the game? I like the individual experience each game brings, not the dull lockstep Live business.

I already have a great experience on my Windows machine without it. As far as I can tell it is completely unnecessary, sort of like the branding of PC games with the Games For Windows logo, only much more intrusive. Doesn't it bother you that Microsoft wants everyone to use Live for every game? What's wrong with the multiplayer setup for a game like BF2, where it's tailored for the game? I like the individual experience each game brings, not the dull lockstep Live business.

Branding Games for Windows logo is just to make things more clear for newer PC owners. There are more and more people that buy their first PC all the time. I honestly believe that there are some people with PC's that don't even realise those game boxes on the shelf will even work on their computer. All they need is a video card, and in some cases, newer pre-built computers have one already.

The branding just makes it clear that it is a game for the Windows platform, and on the back it details what peripherals it's compatible with, the amount of players, etc., and other details that were normally reserved for the back of console game boxes. It should greatly increase the amount of people playing multi-player. For example, in Doom 3, there was very little mult-player games to be found. I think something like this will change that. I truly don't understand. What is not to like?

What's wrong with the multiplayer setup for a game like BF2, where it's tailored for the game? I like the individual experience each game brings
I don't like it. Every game is different, and the searching for servers and other details are shoddy and poorly done, and in some cases, they don't even work correctly.

And what you said, "does it bother me that Microsoft wants everyone to use Live for every game?"

I think you have misunderstood what they are doing. If you think Microsoft is evil and out to get you, then I am not surprised you feel this way.

They are trying to make things more user friendly, streamlined, understandable, problem-free, and compatible.

In addition, there are numerous huge advantages, like being able to play co-op and mult-player games with console owners!

I also think that with Live, they will have all but removed cheating from servers that don't allow it, but we'll have to see about that. I'm sure that is one of the goals. I know it works well with the Xbox.

I honestly don't see any negative aspect to it, maybe you can point something out.

Branding Games for Windows logo is just to make things more clear for newer PC owners. There are more and more people that buy their first PC all the time. I honestly believe that there are some people with PC's that don't even realise those game boxes on the shelf will even work on their computer. All they need is a video card, and in some cases, newer pre-built computers have one already.

The branding just makes it clear that it is a game for the Windows platform, and on the back it details what peripherals it's compatible with, the amount of players, etc., and other details that were normally reserved for the back of console game boxes. It should greatly increase the amount of people playing multi-player. For example, in Doom 3, there was very little mult-player games to be found. I think something like this will change that. I truly don't understand. What is not to like?

I don't like it. Every game is different, and the searching for servers and other details are shoddy and poorly done, and in some cases, they don't even work correctly.

And what you said, "does it bother me that Microsoft wants everyone to use Live for every game?"

I think you have misunderstood what they are doing. If you think Microsoft is evil and out to get you, then I am not surprised you feel this way.

They are trying to make things more user friendly, streamlined, understandable, problem-free, and compatible.

In addition, there are numerous huge advantages, like being able to play co-op and mult-player games with console owners!

I also think that with live, they will have all but removed cheating from servers that don't allow it.

I honestly don't see any negative aspect to it, maybe you can point something out.
Best post in this thread yet.

Branding Games for Windows logo is just to make things more clear for newer PC owners. There are more and more people that buy their first PC all the time. The branding just makes it clear that it is a game for the Windows platform, and on the back it details what peripherals it's compatible with, the amount of players, etc., and other details that were normally reserved for the back of console game boxes. I truly don't understand. What is not to like?
It feels entirely unnecessary. I've yet to go to a store and accidentally pick up a game that was for Mac instead of PC. Or accidentally pick up a console game instead of a PC one. It seems like they're doubting the average intelligence of the end user, which is a bit insulting. And games have had system requirements and other details on them for a while.

I've yet to have a problem and typically the systems are more robust and work better for the game being played than the simplistic Live interface. Maybe it's too hard for some to figure out, but most PC gamers I know tend to be fairly intelligent and can do it without any problems.

EDIT: besides, X-Fire makes things quite simple.

I think you have misconstrued what they are doing.

They are trying to make things more user friendly, streamlined, understandable, and compatible.
I don't see why, they weren't complicated in the first place. Besides, how are mods going to work for Live? Doesn't Microsoft keep a tight leash on customization? IIRC that's part of the reason UT3 is waiting for a X360 release. I, for one, like mods. I like having the freedom to be able to use them as I please because the developers allowed it and people put the necessary effort in for it to work without having to go to Microsoft and ask if it'd be ok if people could use their content.

As it stands right now, especially with Shadowrun, this is a disadvantage, since it means PCs are gimped in order to play with consoles. I expect the same to happen in all future cross-platform releases.

I also think that with live, they will have all but removed cheating from servers that don't allow it.

It may very well help stop cheating, but there's no guarantee. It'd be wonderful if it did, but there will always be someone who finds a way around.

Well, those are a few negatives, I'll put up more when I think of them.

Back