GeForce 3 and HL2 Water

Y

yoda@ui

I am running a regular GeForce 3 64MB, Windows XP, and DirectX 9,0c, and the v66.93 Nvidia drivers. I get all of the DX 8.0 special effects (bump mapping, specular highlights, hard-edge texture shadows) except water reflections. My water looks like the DX 7.0 reflections. Why can't I get any reflections in the water? I have the most current WHQL drivers 66.XX. I thought the GeForce 3 was fully 8.0 compliant. (I CAN get generic water reflections on the poison goo in the Airboat level and in the explosives-filled room with the water that raises up. I just don't get the reflective water in the huge outdoor areas, like the dam area in the Airboat level.)

Trying to do research on this is proving difficult, as the steam powered forums don't allow search right now, and Google is a mess with unhelpful hints. Plus, the GeForce 3 is an old card, so there isn't much info out there yet on specific cards and performance.

If I can't get the nice water, thats fine as I can still run the game at 1024x768 with everything on high (minus trilinear filtering) and get a very nice frame rate. I am able to get 68 fps on the Video Stress test in CounterStrike. The Advance video menu says its using DirectX 8.0 for my hardware rendering. Any input would be very helpful. The screenshot is from the Stress test, and shows how I have bumpmapped walls, but the water is not reflective or refractive. Should reflective water be possible on the GeForce 3?

Maybe not. I heard the minimum recommended card was the Geforce 4.. I dunno.

Back