Gehenna (a Half-Life 2 modification) Help needed.

D

Dorn

Gehenna, is a Half-Life 2 modification.
We are a talented team of people that are working on a Half-Life 2 modification. It is our goal to build a Persistant World based on the Source engine. We are on the lookout for more talented people to join us in making this world come alive. We're looking for hammer builders, coders and modellers. Check our site, forum and IRC channels for more information.

Join Team Gehenna

View our site

Gehenna is set in a post-apocalyptic future, in the surrounding area of Las Vegas, Nevada, where water is the currency of life.

Here is some of our WIP screens and videos

gehenna-screen.jpg

http://www.dingot0m.net/uploaded/gehenna_intro.wmv

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fractus/Gehenna/PDA_0001.wmv

http://www.dingot0m.net/uploaded/gan_area51_alpha001.wmv

This mod looks like it may turn out well, the media you posted is great! I wish you luck on your project.

Gehenna does look awesome. The project is really massive, but after to talking to some of the team members I am 100% sure they will get through it. Looking forward to this.

I wish you luck with your mod, wish i could help but i need to get my skills up first you see :upstare:

Dorn said:
Just Released: Gehenna Timeline Click Here

1: Holy cow. That's a long timeline. :angel:

Is the timeline somehow tied in with the game? Perhaps it's told over time?

2: What do you mean exactly by Persistent World?

Quoted from your forums:
just curious, but has anyone considered what a typical game day will be like?

I understand that your not sure about any type of CNR just yet.. but what will people do on a daily basis?
just stand around? stand around and shoot each other ?
hehe
any info on this?

Re:

Protect your village from Raiders.

Protect your village from Bugs.

Travel and explore

Travel to the other villages to trade precious resources (food/water/salvage)

Search for new gear

Interact with NPC factions.

3: So it will mostly be Humans vs. World?

4: Are you sure Source can handle maps with more than a few villiages?

-

Other than a few concerns, it sounds good. :)

I'm just afraid that without much luster in the gameplay, it may get slow.

I so wish I had the skills to map for this project. Maybe in the future...

mrlangenakker said:
I wish you luck with your mod, wish i could help but i need to get my skills up first you see :upstare:

Dead-Inside said:
I so wish I had the skills to map for this project. Maybe in the future...

Everyone can learn with enough dedication and time. If you are realy serious in learning a skill we'd be happy to help you along you way. Feel free to visit us in our IRC channels and in our own forums. (gehenna site)

Dario D. said:
1: Holy cow. That's a long timeline. :angel:

Is the timeline somehow tied in with the game? Perhaps it's told over time?

The timeline is possible common knowledge to most player characters. It will be defined further when the game design is more complete.

Dario D. said:
2: What do you mean exactly by Persistent World?

Easy, this means players will be able to log in on our servers 24/7. A persistant world is a interactive game world designed to make it possible so that players are part of a science fiction and/or fantasy setting. The Gehenna world will be influenced by players interacting with the world. The world can be changed and adapted by their course of action. More shall be defined later on our website.

Dario D. said:
3: So it will mostly be Humans vs. World

The Player characters (PCs) will be put against each other as much as against Non-player characters (NPCs) The world will be after all player vs. player (PvP). NPCs will be controlable by Game Masters (GMs) at times GMs feel the need to. Possible PC, NPC and mixed factions will be created.

Dario D. said:
4: Are you sure Source can handle maps with more than a few villiages?

This will be solved by having many maps connected with transitions, jumping players from one map to another via the map transitions (map borders).

Angry Lawyer said:
Did you not stop to think about the sheer pressure that creating a persistent world would put on a coder's fragile brain? He'd explode in a messy way. Someone on Verc tried it, though. I believe he was declared legally dead from brain haemorraging, after thinking too hard. Or not.

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=888,1105127536,3639&id=770864&b=4991&v=flatold

-Angry Lawyer

We have installed a cooling system on all our coders brains. This will prevent overheating. :borg:

We have actually tried connecting maps with transitions, with success. Of course having a possible 50 maps being run at the same time is something we will gruadually tackle with our servers.

~Dorn

Will other people be able to run servers?

Or will all servers have to be run with OTHER active servers in a kind of server network?

IOW, will you be hosting all the servers?

Dario D. said:
Will other people be able to run servers?

Or will all servers have to be run with OTHER active servers in a kind of server network?

IOW, will you be hosting all the servers?

The Gehenna world will be hosted on our servers. Downloading Gehenna and runnning it on other servers will be impossible.
The world we create is a PW hosted by us. And played by all.

Gehenna Team Speak Sessions.

Come one, come all.

Tonight, Tuesday April 5th at 9pm GMT, session starts.

Any questions about Gehenna and/or Trivial Studios, this would be the time.

Team Speak server
IP: 67.18.185.194:8767

(Teamspeak can be found here: http://www.goteamspeak.com/downloads.php People without a mic are welcome too, they can use text messages.)

News update:
Last week our forums were hacked. We immediatly started work on comming back with a vengeance.
Seeing this as an oppertunity to show how strong our team is, we started work on a new and incredible looking website. The old site is still up, but will be replaced very soon by the new one.
The gehenna forums have been dismantled, and new forums are going to come online shortly.

For now I leave you with newly released art by Koshime (Gehenna artist):
exxon5.jpg

Looks like a very cool mod. Reminds me a bit of that old mod Entropy, the gang-warfare HL2 MMO, which I was really excited about.

But now there's Gehenna, so I'm happy :D

Back