Getting a keyboard?

ericms

Reaction score
I just started looking around for a keyboard but I'm kinda lost. What I really want is a keyboard that can sound (as close as possible) like a grand piano. I'm not sure if you would commonly just get a sampler for that sort of thing though. I'm getting this to help me learn theory, as with my guitar sometimes some things are harder to envision. I still want a piano for playing though. Thanks.

i guess if you get a cheap one it wont sound as great as you want it to.

my suggestion is to get a midi keyboard for your PC with some good bundled software then soundwise, the sky is your limit!

What I did was I went and bought a very decent professional midi controller - 88 full size weighted keys, aftertouch, etc. Then I bought a sound module, and I hooked the whole rig up to my computer (I have the Audigy 2 zs platinum with the interface box). Its nice - that way I have a good keyboard, and if I'm not satisfied with the sound, I only have to worry about finding another sound module.

Think of it as buying a component stereo system - first, the individual pieces are going to be better quality than what you'd get in a boom box. Also, if you aren't satisfied with one part, or you want to upgrade it, it is very easily swapped out. Same theory.

Go the Korg Triton. Full size keyboard with weighted keys. Or the new oasis. Best keyboar in the world. If you have $15,000 to spare.

Definetly go for weighted keys. Clavinovas are good in the $1000 price range.

Back