Getting a midi keyboard

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
So lately I've been kind of set off by my guitar.. I don't know why I haven't touched it or learned a new song in months I just don't have the drive or passion for it anymore. I decided to try and pick up a new instrument (not giving up guitar just setting it aside for a while), and as I've always wanted to play piano I'm going to go ahead and do that. I went to my local music store to find a good one to save up for, and my only requirement is that I want one with weighted keys.

They had a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 for $399 so I was just wondering those of you who play the keys, what do you think of this? Worth it? Other suggestions if not? Should I get a cheaper one? I've got FL Studio to run it with just fyi.

On a side note I found it kind of weird that the cheapest piano with weighted keys was like $800 yet I can buy a MIDI controller with all this shit on it all these features and weighted keys for $399..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/articles/keystation.htm

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOKEYSTAT88

The M-Audio site is down :(

I love how many "want a midi keyboard" threads we've had on hl2.net

You're the first one to want weighted keys though. Respect++

Not much I can say, I don't know how expensive weighted keyboards are supposed to go for. I do know that M-Audio is sort of the lower tier when it comes to midi keyboards.

But it's not really important, because it's really down to what feel you like, and if it's worth it to you.

If you like the feel of that m-audio, and you are comfortable paying that price, by all means go for it.

I've wanted one for a while I moved recently so I've been broke, but not anymore! Got my bills n shit PAYED.

I don't even care if it's MIDI, it's just that I wanted a piano with weighted keys and I can either get this or an $800 one, seems better and more financially viable to just get this, no?

And I actually was hoping you'd come in here, cause I know your a nerd in this kinda stuff :p

Viper would probably be better for this thread. He knows more about proper pianos/weighted keys.

But like I said you have done the hard part already man: you found a keyboard that you like the feel of for a price you can pay. Not much this thread could do for you unless someone who has actually had a lot of experienced with weighted midi keyboards came in here.

If you're spending a low amount for weighted keys, you're going to be getting pretty crummy action. Every time I've tested cheap weight/semi-weighted I've been disappointed. I can't stress enough that you should test the action of the keyboard beforehand.

Something with a heavy base would be promising. If you're going for a cheap 88, avoid weighted.

But remember I havent played the keyboard ever, I don't know what is supposed to feel right..

I'm of the opinion that when it comes to traditional musical instruments, articulation is everything. If you go from acoustic piano to cheap keyboard, the first thing that will feel wrong is that you don't have the freedom to articulate staccato, legato, or slurs. With that in mind, you going for a weighted-key keyboard is a good decision.

I've got the Korg SP 250, and found it to bear a very close resemblance to my teacher's old grand piano (my teacher owned this keyboard too). I won't say I know a shitload on the topic of midi keyboards or anything, but as far as keyboards go, most will have midi connectivity. I realize I haven't given you any useful advice as of yet, so here it is. You get what you pay for, cliched as that might seem. Like Viper suggests, I highly recommend you to get a feel for the keyboard you think you'd like to buy before you buy it.

So I got it today and after much hours of trying to get it to work (turns out I just had to push 1 button :| ) it works perfectly... The only problem is the lowest note on the very end sticks, but I dunno how often I'll go that far so I'm not too worried. I'm trying to avoid all the knobs and buttons and pitch benders and stuff until I actually get decent at it.

Back