Getting a new 6600 gt

hneaz

Reaction score
im finally getting a new video card. its a PNY 6600 GT Agp with 128 mb of DDR3 Ram. and i got it for $99 (after $40 mir) from newegg. i cant wait to play HL2 in DX 9.0 mode on Sunday!!!

if i overclock it, would it heat up my system? i added a new fan in case it heats up.

I've got a 6600GT and it's served me very well.

aye i have a Inno3D 6600GT & it plays games very well indeed.

hneaz said:
if i overclock it, would it heat up my system? i added a new fan in case it heats up.

May need to get one, but see how it affects your temps while running at default frequencies. Hope you enjoy it, it is always nice getting a new gfx card and playing your games alot better!

hneaz said:
im finally getting a new video card. its a PNY 6600 GT Agp with 128 mb of DDR3 Ram. and i got it for $99 (after $40 mir) from newegg. i cant wait to play HL2 in DX 9.0 mode on Sunday!!!
new graphics cards always cause a stir, i recently upgraded my system and got one of those x800GTO2s, overcloked (although it's the exception not the rule) it's running as fast as an x850XT-PE

used to get 15-40FPS on my old card on 1280x1024 no AA/AF, now playing through again maxed settings except for HDR and with 6xAA / 16xAF just because it looks so much better and i'm getting 60-200+FPS:D

the jump from DX7 or DX8 to DX9 will be a huge leap for the visuals, especially the water effects, enjoy:)

edit: i just noticed you only have a 300W PSU, nVidia say that that's the minimum rated supply for the 6600GT, if the PSU is a a cheapy then you *might* have problems with lots of other stuf in your computer (lots of HDD/current heavy USB stuff). not saying you will just that iof your computer starts getting funky then you know where to start the troubleshooting:)

I got a sweet ATI Rage card i'll sell you for 150 bucks.

lister said:
ATI are going down, i would never get ATI

He was kidding the rage is a REALLY REALLY old card.

Oh and being brand loyal is not a good thing, both companies can have good and bad cards. If you only you only bought NVIDIA you would have had a 5800/5900U when ATI had the 9700/9800pro which were much better cards.

I am happy with my current 6600gt, it has also served me well. I wouldent buy one right now though, as it is begininning to show its age in games like FEAR and upcomming games like oblivion and U3 based games. But for a light gamer it is awesome. :thumbs:

i just noticed you only have a 300W PSU, nVidia say that that's the minimum rated supply for the 6600GT, if the PSU is a a cheapy then you *might* have problems with lots of other stuf in your computer (lots of HDD/current heavy USB stuff). not saying you will just that iof your computer starts getting funky then you know where to start the troubleshooting

oh, so would that affect my framerates and other stuff, like if im d/ling stuff in the background?

bear in mind you might have to upgrade sooner than you think, 6600GT is getting to be almost low end by now, like Devin said with games like FEAR and UE3 engine ones.

im just gonna use this card till its aged like what the geforce 4 looks right now. i just wanna enjoy the dx 9.0 graphics, thats all, cuz i never experienced it in my life.

hneaz said:
oh, so would that affect my framerates and other stuff, like if im d/ling stuff in the background?
no, windows will either run or not run...

but if you're running a physics/graphics intensive game your GPU drains a lot of power, at the same time as your CPU draining a lot of power, if you're PSU is weak then it could fluctuate in terms of current or voltage, which electronic components don't like.

you ought to check out the current ratings of your PSU (usually printed on the side) - you have 3 voltage rails, 3.3 5 and 12 volts, not sure what would be decent spec for a 300w supply but m7 550w kicks out 32/40/24 Amps respectively on each rail

you could also check to see if your motherboard came with some monitoring software to keep an eye on temperatures, they often monitor voltages as well, if not then try "Speedfan" - once configured it can warn you if you're voltage is dropping significantly (-10%+) but i suspect of your PSU can't handle it the first time you'll notice is when your computer either blue screens or automatically restarts, it shouldn't do any harm to your components (unless the PSU actually explodes) and i'm not saying it will, just that if you do happen to experience problems i would lay blame on the PSU before swopping out and buying another GFX card:)

Back