Getting it running (or The Ongoing Struggle for Sanity)

Icarusintel

Reaction score
Ok, I built a computer recently but I have been having various problems with getting it running, anyway, the newest one is a problem with the Asus P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard saying that there is a problem with CPU Overclocking, but I'm using default settings, it keeps saying overclocking is a problem and then it shuts down. Someone please help before I finally snap and crush my beautiful machine.
Here's my stats:
V5000A XaserV Damier Thermaltake case
Intel Pentium® 4 550 Processor Prescott 3.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket LGA775
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard
2GB Kingston DDR2-533 PC-4200 RAM
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Antec NeoPower 480W Power Supply
Samsung 710N-BLACK SyncMaster 17in Analog LCD Monitor
Optorite DVD+-RW DD0405
Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PCIe 16x 256MB

Prescott CPU's have serious issues with overheating. What cooler do you have on the CPU?

the stock one, should i get a better one? and if so can you suggest a good one?
edit: it runs for a bit though without problems and i can get a little ways through a windows install, the temp isn't usually above 70 degrees C

Prescotts can handle up to an 80C load. They were designed for the high heat. We're not used to such high temps, cause it used to be our processors burnt up at that point.

I can't put my finger on it, but perhaps a BIOS update might help. I'll have to go digging a little deeper for this one.

Matt: That's a seriously outdated video. Prescotts are in a class of their own.

You put the bios on a floppy using another computer. Then update it. I would think you have access to one

Back