Getting rid of the valve logo at startup?

diluted

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of it or at least stop it from coming up? I tried deleting the file (valve.avi in the hl2/media folder) but it reappears there after you start the game (I assume Steam is extracting it from the GCF?). I also tried renaming a small textfile into valve.avi but it overwrites it (I guess it does a filesize check :hmph:). So, anyone know how to get rid of it? It isn't a major problem, I just don't like hitting ESC everytime I start the game. ;)

You'll tap hundreds of keys over a game session, click the mouse hundreds of times, but won't hit the esc key....

enter works for me. :D

Be glad they don't have like, 5 of them to click though like some companies add!!! Sheesh

A2597 said:
enter works for me. :D

Be glad they don't have like, 5 of them to click though like some companies add!!! Sheesh

*Cough*EA*Cough*

And some companies don't even allow to you skip them.

*Cough*EA*Cough*

Anyone know when they are going to come out with a patch so you don't have to use the CD?

Ownzed: I'm told that if you uninstall and re-download through Steam, you no longer need the CD. Presumably someone could figure out the difference between the two and release a patch to save people redownloading... just the HL2.exe file from a Steam-downloaded installation might do the trick, depending. Only guessing, though... I don't have a physical copy to try it with.

search the forums... someone posted a blank avi that's 73 kb. Or, make your own. Make sure to set it to read-only, so that the game won't copy a new one over it.

I love the VALVE theme song, so I like it there :) I never skip!

Sven Viking said:
Ownzed: I'm told that if you uninstall and re-download through Steam, you no longer need the CD. Presumably someone could figure out the difference between the two and release a patch to save people redownloading... just the HL2.exe file from a Steam-downloaded installation might do the trick, depending. Only guessing, though... I don't have a physical copy to try it with.
no that doestn work
i tried it
steam would always download the exe with the cd/dvd check.
so this is not an option

Did you delete Steam\SteamApps\source engine.gcf as well as HL2.exe before redownloading? Otherwise it'll just extract HL2.exe from there when you load HL2. (Warning: You'll need to download 67mb if you do this).

open the text file before game starts and steam wont be able to overwrite it mwuahhaaa =o

As far as i can see you have three options:
-Press Esc
-Find a blank AVI file and make it read only like they say
-I also heard if you put -console or something like that on the end of the shortcut link it makes startup shorter (may be wrong)

I STILL LIKE WATCHING THE VALVE LOGO THE MUSIC IS SWEET

Back