Gigantic Stutters/Spikes in TF2

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I tried playing a little bit ago and about every 10-15 seconds, my computer would stutter, my character wouldn't move, and I'm left there not knowing what the hell is going on. I've turned on net_graph 1 in the console, and the IN: part reads at 400+ and then it spikes up all the way to 1200-1900 and I stutter instantly. The only thing that changed since the last time I've played is my network which leads me to believe that is the sole problem.

I've not got anything downloading on either PC. I'm guessing I need to do something with my router or with TF2 itself. Don't know what though.

But any suggestions as to what is my problem? FPS is not a problem at all either.

So just help me guys. Thanks :D

Update: Tested it with net_graph 3 and it looks as though the Entities, Other Players, and Local Players portion are jumping immensely.

UPDATE 2: My friend checked his laptop as well on the same connection and he experienced no stutters. He had minor jumps which I attribute to his specs and such.

Windows 7 64 bit
4 GB DDR3 Ram
9800m GTS
C2D 2.26 Ghz

I updated the drivers. It fixed it. Wow. What a difference. :D

Hey. Check your rates too.

I checked the rates. They didn't help. Somehow my drivers decided to shit the bed in a week. Seriously, nothing was installed/updated to have such an effect. I install newer drivers and they work flawlessly. Doesn't make sense.

What kind of drivers... video card drivers? Sometimes older drivers give me more fps than the "newer, improved, and very awesome" drivers.

Well, the thing is they were the latest Nvidia for me laptop. Then they released a tiny, tiny update and all of sudden it's fixed.

Back