Given Valve's past expansions.. (speculation time!)

E

Ellrick

All of Half Life's expansions took place from the perspective of different factions during the events at Black Mesa.

So what perspectives would you like to see city 17's story told from should they go a similar route with Half Life 2's expansion(s)?

What I would like to see, and what I think we will see are two different things I think.

An Alex and dog expansion seems most likely, but I would really like to be a rogue combine agent ala opposing force.

How about the perspective of a random resistance fighter in City 14 and his reason/story for getting to City 17. Maybe a chance to fill out the war Earth surrendered too.

it would make sense to let you play as barney leading the resistance fighters
in the week you spent who knows where with alyx when you teleported back from nova prospekt

A Father Gregori expansion might get repetitive.

i'd expect to see an expansion that explains what happened during that week you were teleporting

MrWynd said:
i'd expect to see an expansion that explains what happened during that week you were teleporting

City 17 didn't seem all that different when we got back. Gordon and Alyx weren't aware of a week going by so they don't have a story to tell.

Did Kleiner mention things happening during that time? I vaguely remember some sort of comment.

Fishlore said:
How about the perspective of a random resistance fighter in City 14 and his reason/story for getting to City 17. Maybe a chance to fill out the war Earth surrendered too.

Best idea for an expansion I've heard so far.. send it to valve!

A resistance member would be cool, It'd be nice to hear about the return of "the one free man" or something corny like that. :D Otherwise, a combine soldier would be nice as well.

barney and alyx.

and ..
indeed
Best idea for an expansion I've heard so far.. send it to valve!
amen to that.

I don't think it would work with any of the characters in HL2, because they wouldn't speak (I doubt Valve would do it any other way). It'd be better to have some new character that you've never seen, and haven't heard speak.

Fishlore said:
City 17 didn't seem all that different when we got back. Gordon and Alyx weren't aware of a week going by so they don't have a story to tell.

Did Kleiner mention things happening during that time? I vaguely remember some sort of comment.

Not really a spoiler, but you know how some people are.
I don't know, City 17 seemed pretty banged up when you get back. All Kleiner says is that the Resistance took the events at Nova Prospekt as a sign to lead the uprising.

I think that playing as a Resistance Fighter / Barney would be good, playing as a Combine would be interesting, beating 7 shades of shit out of people and the like.

I would not like a 7 day war *expansion* because then i HL3 we will know more then Gordon knows... Cause Gordon doesn't know about the war. Therefor relating to Gordon won't be the same.

Eejit said:
Brnig back teh Alan Sheoperd!!1
it's true that it would be a huge letdown to not hear anything more about him. maybe shephard as a resistance fighter ?

How about playing as either a Combine soldier or a Soldier from earth during the 7 hours war?

I guess but the resistance fighter would be awesome, especially playing through the war and seeing what actually happened

Personally, I've always felt attracted to playing through the eyes of one of the bad guys, especially as bad ass as the combine. A story with the combine could be that you were a resistance fighter but couldn't take not eating or living in the opression and joined the Civil Protection... that would be cool. Also really give you hints on the story, as you would see hwow they operate on the inside.

nagual678 said:
it's true that it would be a huge letdown to not hear anything more about him. maybe shephard as a resistance fighter ?

No no, maybe GMan put shephard in city 17 to fight with the resistance but he joined the combine? Ooooo? That sounds like a fun twist

MaverickUK said:
How about playing as either a Combine soldier or a Soldier from earth during the 7 hours war?
assuming that the gman works AGAINST the combine, this expansion wouldn't make sense since it means that you try to defend earth and fail in your attempt.

Barney spoke in HL1 and it still made a great expansion. He told you about monsters up ahead, info on objectives (sometimes) He was strikingly similar to the current barney though the new one is more involved in the story. Besides Its barney man BARNEY CALHOUN

you could see the events From his escape from black mesa, to how he became an undercover member of the overwatch until the point that he saved gordon Fillin in the blanks in between

Now this one is really stretching it, freemen goes "rogue" as he is forced to do a job he doesnt want to and who comes into play but good old adrian shephard! The plot is rather shady but Its all conjecture

nagual678 said:
assuming that the gman works AGAINST the combine, this expansion wouldn't make sense since it means that you try to defend earth and fail in your attempt.

Yeah but what about playing as the Combine in the 7 hours war.

Metrocop that see's the error of his ways and goes to fight against the combine.

A gregori expansion would be awesome. You could spend all your time in Ravenholm setting up tons of traps, and executing them. Awesome :thumbs:
Ehm...the uprising began?

MaverickUK said:
Yeah but what about playing as the Combine in the 7 hours war.

There weren't any humanoid Combines in the 7 hour war.

i'm sure that you'll be able to pilot the strider in an expansion pack

Heh, just realized the problem with a Strider expack. It'd be boring as heck when it comes to storyline. I'm sure the Striders never find out who the G-man is :p

Me likey.

How about an American refuge leading a band of squaddies across America to set sail/fly their asses to City 17.

ps Why was this topic moved?

Edit Ah there is a speculation forum, my bad.

I'm figuring we're almost guaranteed to see a Barney expansion set during the week that Gordon and Alyx are "lost" in teleport. An Alyx expansion is gonna be tough to do...unless it's before Gordon's arrival, there just isn't a long enough time period where she and Grodon are separated to make for a good expansion (unless something DID happen in the week they were missing in teleport).

As for other potential expansions, I do think Adrian Shephard will show up again. The ideas I've seen posted of Adrian during the 7 hour war have alot of potential...expect that it's tough to say if Valve would approve an expansion where you're guaranteed to lose in the end.

Hmm, i just thought up and idea for expansion mod that i might start, i have emailed Gabe about it, because my idea's include reviving certains segments that were cut...like the Borealis and the Air exchange

The story is sorted, i just need word from gabe

maby playing as Alan Sheoperd's russian brother "Victor Sheoperd"

First of all what's this 7 hour war everyone is talking about?

Second of all.. Adrian Shepard. I think it'd be awesome with something like:

Profound gman intro with a black screen. Then all of a sudden some machine slaps a combine mask onto your face and you find yourself being inside the citadel. You start the game moving around as a combine but then, as the uprising starts, stuff begins to unfold and you turn sides or something along the lines of that. Not necessarily to the resistance, but your own side. Gman wants you to do something, perhaps balance out Gordon? Who knows.

vetebulle said:
First of all what's this 7 hour war everyone is talking about?

Second of all.. Adrian Shepard. I think it'd be awesome with something like:

Profound gman intro with a black screen. Then all of a sudden some machine slaps a combine mask onto your face and you find yourself being inside the citadel. You start the game moving around as a combine but then, as the uprising starts, stuff begins to unfold and you turn sides or something along the lines of that. Not necessarily to the resistance, but your own side. Gman wants you to do something, perhaps balance out Gordon? Who knows.
7 hour war, how long it took for the combine to invade before Earth surrendered

The Dark Elf said:
7 hour war, how long it took for the combine to invade before Earth surrendered

Neato.. guess it's all in the Raising the Bar-book?

Maybe if they make an expansion with father gregori, it would be about the events that made Ravenholm the way it is in the game. I think that that would be very interesting.

vetebulle said:
Neato.. guess it's all in the Raising the Bar-book?

Actually, there are a bunch of articles on a board in Eli's lab. One mentions "Portal Storms," another Earth's surrender after the 7 Hour War, and another refers to Dr. Breen's appointment as Earth's Administrator.

Back