Gman and Scientist "Conversation"?

Reaction score
I remember seeing Gman conversing with a Scientist in Half-life 1, apparently you can hear their dialogue but it's been altered till the point of being inaudible, but i heard these lines...

Scientist "I have already told you 100 times that i am opposed to tampering with equipment over normal test levels.

Gman "This is not your decision to make."

Gman "You will not tell anyone about this."

Gman "I won't be given an offer you..."

Gman "If i had wanted to send them I would certainly..."

Gman "My employers don't agree."

Gman "You're a scientist, and a fraud."
Did Valve ever shed any light on this before Half-life 2 came out? or was it basically something that was purposely kept hidden to be revealed or further expanded on in Half-life 3?

It really shows how Gman was up to no good in the beginning, he even mentioned how his employers don't agree with not raising the Anti-mass spectrometer's power level and was responsible for the BMI and the Combine invasion... this suggests that he has been using Gordon all along, not as a simple contract, but as his own tool. And something tells me that Gman will do ANYTHING to get what he wants. But what exactly is he? a God? and another thing i noticed... the people he uses end up killed, the Scientist he was arguing with was killed by a headcrab, and Gman whispered "Prepare for unforeseen consequences..." in Eli's ear as Gordon stepped into the test chamber, he ends up getting his brains sucked by the Aliens Gman brought to Earth, after Alyx said the same thing Gman told Eli.

Last edited:
They're no longer relevant. This was when Valve had the G-Man as the administrator of Black Mesa (see the Audio Script for Half-Life by Marc Laidlaw) in the official storyline. They changed his role in the sequels. I also have another document (by Marc Laidlaw) with a list of every scene and line of dialogue in the game, including the lines of the scientist in the locked room. The scientist is, indeed, against running the equipment past its safety limits - no lines were given for the G-Man for the scene in the document.

Note: The scientist in the locked room uses a random model, which means his head model is different in every new playthrough.

Oh, really? well, that does make sense, Gman in Hl1 gave me a feeling that he was some sort of Government agent, yet Gman in Hl2 was presented as an Alien taking the form of a business man, i can understand that. :)

Who's to say the US Government wasn't being infiltrated by aliens? That Earth isn't just another pawn-state in the Gman-species galactic war against the Combine?

Back