Go Radeon!

filipeg165

Reaction score
ok, i decided to buy a Radeon 9800Pro 128mb to replace my GeForce FX 5600 as you can see in my other post, now, what i dont get is how crappy my GeForce is!!! i mean, i just saw in another forum, some guy has an Athlon 2.0Ghz and 1GB PC2300 333Mhz ram (see my signature for my specs) and a Radeon 9800Pro 128mb and he claims he runs Far Cry everything maxed out (no AA or AF) with an average 30-40fps!! i have a much faster pc except for the GeForce, i run Far Cry at 800x600 with everything on medium (if i put something higher it just f***s up and i get 5fps) and i run it at aprox. 20fps, not counting when i get indoors, thats when it falls down to less than 10fps... so i really think its my videocard, as Nvidia has problems with directx9 right? i think if i get the Radeon 9800Pro it will boost my games a lot right?

the FX series were just really bad cards..

cool, 60fps is damn fine for me, with everything maxed out right? and also, i heard that FX cards will be almost unplayable in HL2

looks like it, i just read the hl2 bencmarking article, my 9600xt could get 50fps, they tested a 9600pro which got max 48 i think :D

When HL2 was benchmark last year.
It depends if it runs the full precision or not.
Plus some of the cards will run DX8.1 by default because of how they perform.
You can change it of course. Yah, they've been optimizing alright. It's not the favorable kind of optimizing either.

nVidia cards for the last 12 / 16 months have been awful. My last nVid card was a 4800 and I'm not going back till they kick some ATI ass.

KinGadY said:
looks like it, i just read the hl2 bencmarking article, my 9600xt could get 50fps, they tested a 9600pro which got max 48 i think :D

It also boils down to other specs too.

A 9600XT would give you 50FPS if you also have a P4 3Ghz + and a gigabyte of ram.

Similarly, if you had a 9800pro, but a 1.2Ghz and 256 mb ram - then you'd have like 30 fps or something.

So, I think the other specs make a difference too.

Back