Gold date speculation

Shuzer

Reaction score
Looking at the latest VALVe info thread e-mail, I come to wonder why Gabe didn't say anything about the gold date..

It won't release Dec. 11th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: December 11th? naaah

Can you confirm or deny that Half-Life 2 will be released/going gold on December 11th, or in the year of 2003? The reason I ask is because of this: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...;threadid=15059

Thanks for your time!

Now, obviously this is speculation, but, if the game went gold, then magazines COULD have a gold copy to review.

Also, the 11th would be a good gold date if the game were to come out on Christmas Eve! ;)

I'm bored and I doubt that what I just said has any remote truth. I'm sure Gabe just saw no reason to further elaborate, but, I'm optimistic (as usual), also I figured this thread could use a little more liveliness :)

It won't release Dec. 11th.

If it wont release december 11th then I guess it wont release this year. Or maybe it will release before it or after December 11th ? I dunno but its not looking good like usual. :x

I myself am just hoping that it at least comes out by April, anything beyond that will dissapoint me horribly, but if that happens, something major would have to come up, Steam should be up to par, they should have most of the stuff they needed to fix from the "leak" done also, and maybe a few new features. I am definantly waiting for this release, I stil think it will go great, and there will be a good community for it. :cheers:

I notice that he didn't say it would not be out in December. Here's hoping for December 12th!

Originally posted by jonbob
I notice that he didn't say it would not be out in December. Here's hoping for December 12th!

i'm gonna say december 15th

lets start a pool ;)

December 24th! Brian, it can't come out on Christmas, all the stores are closed.

Then again, I'm not sure if that goes for everywhere in the world, but, in the states everything's closed.

Hmm....Maybe it could be gold now, and we'd get a early-December surprise. Code Name: Condition-Zero going gold. They could have sent HL2 at the same time making it hard to get them all done :).
See below.

Originally posted by Evil Beaver
Hmm....Maybe it could be gold now, and we'd get a early-December surprise. Code Name: Condition-Zero going gold. They could have sent HL2 at the same time making it hard to get them all done :).
See below.

Code Name? Counter-Strike*

Anyhow, I dunno, my original point was Gabe never commented on the gold date, or if it wouldn't come out in December

Which leads me to believe it could be going gold around the 10th/11th, and that magazine could actually get a gold copy and review the game

But, I'm just too optimistic :)

Actually, he did comment about it coming out in December. He eliminated one date....remember? :bounce:

The magazine said something along the lines of "and you never know... maybe even Half-Life 2." Doesn't really sound like they're planning on having a review.

Gabe striking down the 11th just seems like even less hope for any December date at all.

Originally posted by alco
The magazine said something along the lines of "and you never know... maybe even Half-Life 2." Doesn't really sound like they're planning on having a review.

Gabe striking down the 11th just seems like even less hope for any December date at all.

Just because he said it won't come out on the 11th doesn't mean it can't go gold around/before that, then the magazine could be having a gold copy to review

Originally posted by Shuzer
Just because he said it won't come out on the 11th doesn't mean it can't go gold around/before that, then the magazine could be having a gold copy to review

I dunno. I doubt they're gonna be going gold this week or the next. And after that... when would they release it? Christmas?

One day down,30 to go....not counting Xmas day.
I will go for the 13th Dec...13 has always been lucky for me.
(do people who get the day right get a free copy.......)

December 24th! Brian, it can't come out on Christmas, all the stores are closed.

Then again, I'm not sure if that goes for everywhere in the world, but, in the states everything's closed.

the same thing with online shops, i think.

It won't be out any time in December.

(I hope I sounded mysterious and "In the know")

Originally posted by jonbob
That is absolutely überoptimistic !
:cheese:
The only way to top this off: Maybe it has already been released on Dec 11!

Muhuahahahaaaaaaaaaa...

seriously, you guys..

Originally posted by HybridM
It won't be out any time in December.

(I hope I sounded mysterious and "In the know")

Nope. All you did was make yourself look evil and spirit-dampening!

Originally posted by Mjolnir
One day down,30 to go....not counting Xmas day.
I will go for the 13th Dec...13 has always been lucky for me.
(do people who get the day right get a free copy.......)

We are talking 2004 right?...............lol

"it wont release 11 Dec"
good
I was hoping for more of a Dec 12th release anyway.
:)

Edit:
bah I shoulda read the damn thread before posting.

ignore me

Would the magazine get their gold copy a few weeks before the gone Gold date? Because after they reviewed it, it would take time to put the magazine together, print them all off and ship it to all the retailers that sell the magazine. In other words, the magazine would have to have their gold copy NOW.

This is the only thing I hope, we get it before march, I don't want anymore delays, it will just make me even more sad :( I am sure VALVe can pull it together and get it released around then, they still have 5 months! YOU CAN DO IT VALVE! :cheers: Thats all I really care about, that at least they hit that april date or a few weeks after. I don't want another long wait for the game. :(

I really don't see Half-Life 2 being released for another 5-9 months yet.

The unfailing optimism of people on this forum truly amazes me. :dork:

You must be the same people that bet on 100 to 1 longshots at the racetrack!!!

Look!! Halflife 2 is not coming out in 2003 or in 2004. :bounce:

April 2005 is my HL2 estimated release date (note: that date is subject to being pushed back further if Valve screws up even more)

Well, one can always hope for a december release date =)
*hopes*
Guess we will know soon if we are being overly optimistic or not, december is not far away:cheers:

Originally posted by Keeson
The unfailing optimism of people on this forum truly amazes me. :dork:

You must be the same people that bet on 100 to 1 longshots at the racetrack!!!

Look!! Halflife 2 is not coming out in 2003 or in 2004. :bounce:

April 2005 is my HL2 estimated release date (note: that date is subject to being pushed back further if Valve screws up even more)

Wow. HL2 has absolutely no reason to be pushed back 'til 2005, I hope you're joking

Originally posted by Munro
I really don't see Half-Life 2 being released for another 5-9 months yet.

Munro :(
don't say that.. ur supposed to be leading the train named optimism...

bah.. crashed and burned.. :x

Munro's gone to the dark side, Freeman.. there's no helping him now :(

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Well, Shuzer, his incredible pessimism amazes me...

When I say April 2005 is the release date I am actually being optimistic!!!!! :bounce:

I am only claiming that it will come out that *soon* if nothing else bad happens between now and then. However, given how the HL2 saga has unfolded, I am not terribly hopeful that something bad won't happen.

Let take a look at some recent happenings on FPS scene:

:dork: 1) Max Payne 2 come out and is pretty good but very short (10 hours) and no multiplayer

:dork: 2) Doom3 pushed back to 2004
:dork: 3) Farcry pushed back to 2004
:dork: 4) Deux EX2 demo comes out to much disappointment

Why should anybody be optimistic about HL2???? Many contenders have come and they all seem to fail, get delayed, or just plain underwhelm/disappoint in one way or another.

Making a 3D shooter to best all others and effectively wrest the crown for FPS of the decade is an extremely tough challenge. If experienced companies like ID software find it tough to put their game out in a timely manner why should if be any different for Valve (who have only ever made one game back in 1998).

Are the developers at Valve some superhuman race of ultraintelligent alien beings capable of making a game better and faster than any other developer out there???

The one optimistic thing I can say in Valve's favour is that no other developer has put out a game (yet...) that could be considered a "tour de force", "crown jewel of shooters" , "a true fps original classic" or some such title that will hail in the new age of gaming. Valve still has a great opportunity to deliver truly unique gameplay experience, but they need to get their game out!!!!!:dork:

i know this is similar to the previous post, but Gabe only responded about the relase date....so i asked about if it will go Gold around December 11th...heres the e-mail:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 8:31 AM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: December 11th Gold?

Is it true that Half Life 2 will go Gold around December 11th? There
have been rumors about this around the web. Thanks for your time.
-Matt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess that clears some stuff up...
-Sashswash

There goes my last bit of optimism! Oh well.. I'll just look forward to Far Cry now.

There goes my last bit of optimism! Oh well.. I'll just look forward to Far Cry now.

he's not answering anything i ask, and their not questions about release dates or steam, but good stuff instead *pouts* :)

i know this is similar to the previous post, but Gabe only responded about the relase date....so i asked about if it will go Gold around December 11th...heres the e-mail:

no

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 8:31 AM
Subject: December 11th Gold?

Is it true that Half Life 2 will go Gold around December 11th? There
have been rumors about this around the web. Thanks for your time.
-Matt

i guess that clears some stuff up...
-Sashswash[/B]

:flame: :flame: AHH FU%K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame: :flame:

NOW IM PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I had a dream once,Now that dream is gone" -Morpheus

No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 2:25 AM
Subject: Gold speculation!

Hi Gabe,
is there a Chance that HL2 goes GOLD this YEAR 2003 ?
Thanx for a quick answer.

Sash.

How could you thank him for a quick answer if you weren't sure you'd get one?

Oh well...

Wait. Maybe there's no "Chance" because it's a certainty?

Wibble.

Back