Good RTS games.

Puzzlemaker

Reaction score
Well, I want to get some good RTS games. I like RTS games. I want to get more RTS games. But I live under a rock, so I need help finding good RTS games.

...Anyway...

I have thus far played:

Starcraft (I liked)
Civilization (I didn't like as much, too much micromanaging)
BFME 1 & 2 (don't buy these unless you are a LOTR fan, which I am)
Age of Empires (Liked)
Age of Mythology (Liked)
Evil Genius (It was... interesting. I generally liked it.)
C&C Generals (I didn't like... at all)

Now, I am probobly going to buy Homeworld too, because I heard from several people that it was a good game.

Anyway, are there any other good RTS games out there?

I hear Company of Heros is pretty good.

You could try Warcraft 3(Plus Expansion). You may not like the gameplay but the story is nice. If you don't like the gameplay well your still sure to spend many hours in Custom maps.

Starcraft and Wc3 both have some of the most amazing UMS\Custom maps in the world. UMS maps kept me on Starcraft for 2/3 years. Wc3's Custom Maps kept me on that game for a year or 2. Wc3 has some high quality custom maps. Plus it's a Blizzard game so it's basically guaranteed to be more than worth the money.

Could try Dawn of War, which also has an expansion. You might like Rise of Nations although I don't know how its online community is doing.

Dawn of War and Winter Assault. Then once Dark Crusade comes out, get that too.

Also take a look at TA Spring.

Warcraft III
Rome: Total War

I'm not really an avid player of RTS lol.

Tiberian Sun, Bitch!
Dune 2000, Bitch!
I know they are old, but they kick ass.

BITCH!

Starcraft is the only real RTS I liked..

AoE 3 isn't bad either.

Warcraft III + Frozen Throne
Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge
Red Alert (Best C&C yet) + expansions
DoW + expansions
Dungeon Keeper 2 (its, er... kinda an RTS)
Ground Control + Dark Conspiricy

Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge

Yeah, one of my favorite RTS games, I still full around with the scripts tweaking one thing or another although it's showing it's age, after all it is 6 years old.

Puzzlemaker, if you liked Age of Empires then I recommend you try Rise of Nations. It's similar to AOE but you can advance up to the modern age, plus there is a conquer the world campaign! Roman Empire vs Aztec Empire with nuclear missiles FTW!:D

Civilization isn't RTS. If the only thing you didn't like was micromanagement, though, you may give Civ4 a try, it's much better in that regard (but then again, be careful when talking to me about Civ4).

Rise of Nations is the best RTS out there, IMO. Interesting boardgame-style campaign, a load of game customization options, quite easily the best RTS. It's also one of the very, very few RTS games to contain an adequate AI.

Age of Empires 3... consider it if you liked AoE2 and AoM. I personally was very disappointed in AoE3, but you may find it good.

Homeworld, if you go for the original one, keep in mind the graphics are dated, but hopefully that won't be a deterrent. Homeworld is certainly very different from most RTS games - it's true 3D, as in you can move your troops in a 3D space. That makes the game feel drastically different. The single-player campaign is story-driven, in fact moreso than it was common for RTS games back then, but it's notorious for its difficulty. Maybe too difficult. If you screw up a mission in the middle of the campaign and barely make it, you can't make it through the later ones.

Command & Conquer The First Decade
Rome Total War
Warcraft 3 + Expansion
Dungeon Keeper 1 + 2(If you liked Evil Genius, you'll love these.)
Star Wars : Empire at War, great looking space battles... entertaining land battles, not too revolutionary but it gets it done.
Total Annihilation
Rise of Nations(and maybe Rise of Legends, I liked the demo personally.)

Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Command and Conquer: Red Alert/Counterstrike/Aftermath
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge

Fin.

Rise of Nations is the best RTS out there, IMO. Interesting boardgame-style campaign, a load of game customization options, quite easily the best RTS. It's also one of the very, very few RTS games to contain an adequate AI.
Far from easily the best RTS. I hate its boardstyle campaign system. Because every god damn mission takes forever. I mean when I attack a place I don't wanna have to build a base every time, built units, and attack. It simply takes to long.

The AI is ok although I like Diplomacy style games and they absolutely blow in this game. Always demanding things and declare war on you even when your on the other side of the map and they have no way in getting to you and they are at war with a bunch of other people that are between you and him. This results in him never attacking you.

Online? Gamespy system is absolutely gay. Thats all I gotta say. The RTS is good but far from the best.

Best RTS and anything else "best" is always in the eye of beholder. I'm a hardcore strategy gamer - that's why I love the boardgame style campaign, and why RoN is easily the best RTS to me.

That said, I think most gamers who play RTS agree that RoN is a very solid one, at least.

Of course, TBS is the way to go ;).

I think pretty much all RTS games are meh. Except Company of Heroes (well, and RA1, but that's nostalgia speaking) so that should say something.

Company of heroes, C&C tiberian sun seems to be the winnars.

Oh, and I have WC3, forgot to mention that... whoops.

The classic CnC games. Generals was a misstake because EA bought Westwood...hate EA forever.

Warcraft series.
Rise of Nations (seriously, this game is so awesome)

And try out the CnC series in general, even the very first game is awesome in it's own right.

OK... So it seems I'm the only one that liked Generals. I just think of it as a different game not a C&C game.

PS: Does anybody here like C&C:Renegade? God, that game was awful:x .

Woah there. Pretend Generals never happened, then go and enjoy hours of classic CnC RTS gaming.

QFT!

Well actually in the grand scheme of things Generals was a good RTS..just a shitty C&C game

OK... So it seems I'm the only one that liked Generals. I just think of it as a different game not a C&C game.

PS: Does anybody here like C&C:Renegade? God, that game was awful:x .

Yeah thats the only way really to play Generals..take away teh C&C name

We can't bring Renegade into the discussion can we? FPS in the C&C universe not remotely RTS

Battlezone could be tho, FPS with much RTS stylings, great game

Heck just pick up C&C The First Decade and you're sorted really

Total Annihilation!

supcom when it comes out D:

I don't wanna have to build a base every time, built units, and attack. It simply takes to long.
How the hell else are you supposed to do it? Building a base is a fundemental thing in RTS... It's like saying you don't like collecting ammo in an FPS.

Besides. There are other ways to do it.

My personal favorite is building missle silos with nukes, researching global prosperity so assimilations are instant, building about a dozen infantry, and then nuking the hell out of all of their major cities including the capital, rushing in with the troops, and instant winning once I reach the capital.

^Same way I do it, except I only research the nuke before the ICBM, so no Halocaust will come when I nuke all of his bases 50 times each, when I'm done about 50% of the map is covered in silos :)

company of heroes,
Total Annihilation
Total Annihlation:Spring
Homeworld 1 and 2
Ground Control 1 and 2

Generals was enjoyable actually. It's just not a real C&C game. C&C 3 is looking more promising now.

Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes definately look like they are worth playing.

Back