Google Chrome..

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So I've been using Google Chrome for about 2 months, and it has decided to slow down.... A LOT. For certain websites, it just takes a year to load a site. For sites such as Verizon Wireless and logging into your account, it's still loading ten minutes later, and Firefox loaded it in almost 10 seconds..? That makes no sense, I realize, but it's what's happening. I've cleared all of me browser data, deleted all the cookies, the cache, everything. It's still going extremely slow.

I uninstalled/reinstalled, and it didn't do a thing. I just want to know if this is what happens with Chrome or if there is something wrong specifically with mine?

Thanks HELPLAFTWOO

You need to uninstall and use Firefox. That will fix your problem.

Also, somehow I misplaced this. Can someone move to Hardware & Software? Thanks! :D :D

And I've been using Firefox for ages, but I've been trying to switch, and it's not going swell.

I found that a lot of sites I went to had poor support for chrome, and coupled with the lack of decent plugins, went back to firefox.

So... do what Quixoticism said. And don't listen to Vegeta.

I found that a lot of sites I went to had poor support for chrome, and coupled with the lack of decent plugins, went back to firefox.

The thing is, it's just started happening recently. Is it really the Chrome browser being incompatible with the site? If I were to try Safari, would it do the same thing? I like Chrome, and I would love it keep it as me browser, but I don't think I can. :(

Anyway, I just hosted a video of the load, and it takes 8 minutes to load the site.

EDIT: Looks like Safari does it, too... Verizon Wireless is not WebKit friendly.

If you really want to stick with it, then the best course of action would be to uninstall it, and remove all traces, like deleting leftover folders and cleaning it from the registry.

If you really want to stick with it, then the best course of action would be to uninstall it, and remove all traces, like deleting leftover folders and cleaning it from the registry.

The thing is, Safari did it as well which points to WebKit. Right?

verizon's website loads in a few seconds for me with chrome; is there a specific page you're having trouble with (that isn't the login page since I don't have a verizon login)?

It's when you log in to My Verizon is when it decides to load incredibly slow. As soon as I enter in my information, it takes almost 8 minutes to load. I tried the same page in Safari on a brand new install, and same thing happens. Firefox which has been installed for about 3 months works flawlessly. I'm rather certain it's Chrome being the culprit as the main page and every other page on VZW works fine.

It's the sites that have poor support for Chrome, it's that Chrome tries to optimize speed by cutting corners on script and code (especially javascript) and ends up killing some functionality on pages. It's coming along slowly though....

The thing is I tested it on me friend's computer, and it loaded like a normal web page in Safari and Chrome. Why are webkit browsers running slow on me laptop?

I loved Firefox pre-version 3. After that, it grew too unstable to use. I thought I could deal with the crashes, but they became too frequent and sometimes I would have to reinstall just because it crashed instantaneously as I opened, every time I opened it.

Screw that, Chrome is better.

I use Opera, and Chrome for those sites that have no proper Opera support. IE in the extremely rare cases that it doesn't support Opera or Chrome.

Firefox has been incredibly stable for this whole year, but I wanted to try Chrome and I loved it, but it has decided to stop functioning correctly which isn't good. I think I'm going to reformat as I do think I need to, and that should obviously fix that for me, but I'd rather it not have to come to that.

The main advantage of Chrome over FF is that Chrome isn't a memory hungry slut.

Hahahahaha.... That is until you factor that every extension takes about 5-15k in memory along with all the tabs you've got open which range from 20-45k, and then you've got a larger memory hog than Firefox.

I've used the hot Internet browser for many years. Lol one of my ifl friends who hates FF.

I've been using it almost exclusively since the first beta came out and haven't noticed any slowness. . . generally faster than FF and without question more stable. What sites are slow for you?

The main advantage of Chrome over FF is that Chrome isn't a memory hungry slut.

Except that every tab in Chrome runs in a separate process, which has a substantial memory overhead. Chrome uses more memory than Firefox, fact. In fact, Firefox is the lightest browser, perhaps except for Opera, which I'm not sure about.

Sham you could try the beta channel of Chrome. It's what I and everyone else I got to use Chrome uses. I'm not sure how it would help you, but it's worth a shot I guess. It's better than normal Chrome anyway, you get to use new features (like extensions! akin to plugins for firefox) before the regular Chrome users do. It's also very stable (I've never run into problems), because features are tested in the Developer channel first (which you can use if you wanted) before being put into Beta channel.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had sites run slow for me because of Chrome. I do remember a time when flash applets would cause my Chrome to crawl, but that was a long time ago.

Sham you could try the beta channel of Chrome. It's what I and everyone else I got to use Chrome uses. I'm not sure how it would help you, but it's worth a shot I guess. It's better than normal Chrome anyway, you get to use new features (like extensions! akin to plugins for firefox) before the regular Chrome users do. It's also very stable (I've never run into problems), because features are tested in the Developer channel first (which you can use if you wanted) before being put into Beta channel.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had sites run slow for me because of Chrome. I do remember a time when flash applets would cause my Chrome to crawl, but that was a long time ago.

That's what I've been using for the past few months, but this problem still has occurred. I even uninstalled every extension and just reinstalled, but it's still causing problems.

Like I have stated before though, it's not just Chrome doing it, Safari does it as well which leads me to believe WebKit browsers don't run correctly on me computer.

And I've been using Firefox for ages, but I've been trying to switch, and it's not going swell.

The reason that it is not going well is because you have been trying to switch. If you C&D, I'm sure everything will come back to being well again.

Good Luck.

As odd as this is, the problem still occurs after a format. Does anyone think it could possibly be a router issue? If so, what would I even do to try and correct that?

So.. I'm not sure what worked, but I've tried those suggestions before, and they finally worked today. I turned off IPv6 and changed the proxy settings from auto detect. Anyway, I think it works fine now.

The Verizon site is super-slow for me too, and I have used 3 different browsers.

I loved Firefox pre-version 3. After that, it grew too unstable to use. I thought I could deal with the crashes, but they became too frequent and sometimes I would have to reinstall just because it crashed instantaneously as I opened, every time I opened it.

I've had similar problems with firefox, it takes a hell of alot processing power these days :flame:

Back