Gordon Has A Mohawk! (A timeline of looks)

Absinthe

The Freeman
Reaction score
Gordon:
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v88/absinth3/freeman_copy.jpg

Look at that freaking thing! My God!

This topic isn't so much HL2-related, but a look at how far things have come along since the early stages of HL to HL2. The transition of the characters is quite amazing to see. A lot of the older screenshots also had different moods, with scientists in blood-smeared lab coats.

Ladies and gentleman, you may have seen this before. You may have not. But just take a look at these pictures, and take in the changes during development. This is Half-Life; past, present, and future.

Kleiner:
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v88/absinth3/kleiner.jpg

Barney:
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v88/absinth3/barney.jpg

Lumberjack Gordon. Jesus Christ, how horrible.

A sad cut from Half-Life. I really wanted to have a scientist interrogation scene.

An enemy that will sadly never see the light of day.

HALF-LIFE HAD MIRRORS OMG

What kind of AT-ST rip-off is this?

Got anything you want to contribute? Feel free.

Wow! never seen anyone of those before except for the Lumberjack Gordon.

Those pics have real bad quality...but yeah, they changed a lot.

interesting..................Some of them are new to me..........

lol :D
Those Barneys and professors really look weird in the first pictures :D

I'd love to see more aerly HL stuff! some of thos early screenshot are hilarious, it obviously changed from a cartoony style to a more realistic look as the engine and technology advanced!
p.s. are there any non-file planet links to those videos?

If you have Milkshape, the SDK for HL and a little patience, the Panther can be added:

Open SDK and goto SP models

Copy (to desktop or somewhere) then Open the Panther Folder and edit the panther.qc file, which can be done in wordpad, make it point to the right directory, in this case, the one you just created, make sure your editing the one on the desktop.

Open Milkshape, you can get a trial version of it, do file > Import > HL SMD and open the panther_reference.smd (always the reference). You do this to make sure the textures are correct, if they are not there will be an error log at the bottom of the screen so you can fix it.

Once the textures are done, goto tools > Half-Life > Compile QC. Again, if your QC file has errors in it will tell you. IF all goes well you should have panther.mdl.

If you want to do it the hard way, code in the monster or goto the next point i you want a simple solution.

Why not just change it to a different model? Open the HL pak file (pak0.pak) goto models and find the name of the Alien Slave, it should be islave.mdl or something similar, once done, rename your panther.mdl to the islave name.

Goto your Half-Life > Valve folder and create a folder named Models if its not already there, put your renamed file in there.

Load up the game and find a place where the alien slaves where, they will have changed to panthers who do a claw attack that defaults to around 50 damage (they are quite tough) and they run fast.

Shame they are the only good ones, theres a few other models in the SDK like the robo-grunt for the German edition, some other monsters that never made it, the original RPG, i think Ivor the space biker is in there too.

On a side note, when is HL Nostalgia out? I've not saw an update for a loooong time. And what do the video's play in? Ive tried everything but they all saw invalid format.

Man, I remember reading those news snippets.

Gordon looks like a complete badass in HL-2 compared to his original form.

omg gordon looks funny ;) so does the scientist, it started off as a crazy game.

I think they had a very early story when the scientists and barneys just look like "wide-eyed" zombies and totally looks like Half-Life when was still almost all Quake 1 tech

thats not a mirror its just glass with the exact same type of scientist and scene on the other side, so it only looks like a mirror

I'd never been able to view any of the movies I'd downloaded from hL Nostalgia. Perhaps the codec to watch them isn't available anymore or is only viewable by the old ass Windows media player (the old one). Anyway I should try that...

I also wanted to see a scientist interogation scene..oh wait there was one in OpFor. Silly me. :O

Nice post! I never saw those pre-HL screens! I wouldn't be suprised to see some cut-outs from HL back in HL2 :thumbs:

Big Fat Duck said:
thats not a mirror its just glass with the exact same type of scientist and scene on the other side, so it only looks like a mirror
Indeed, it's a simple trick.

Apparently named the diablo, id love to have seen it in the game.
http://www.planethalflife.com/nostalgia/halflife/screens/diablo1.jpg

this would have been easily the best scripted sequence in the game
http://www.planethalflife.com/nostalgia/halflife/screens/ichyosaur.jpg

personally they shoulda kept these, these are scary!
http://www.planethalflife.com/nostalgia/halflife/screens/zombe_blue.jpg

houndeyes all growed up!
http://www.planethalflife.com/nostalgia/halflife/screens/houndeye_backleg.jpg

Some of thoes are really ugly and scary.

Good thing gordon wasn't a lumberjack or a mohawk man. :D

It looks like most of the screenshots are from one of the quake engines before they redid it.

heh, I wonder what the "MP" on Barney's helmet stood for...

Big Fat Duck said:

How do you think reflections in games work? You think its an actual "reflection"?....

the early shots looks like the direction hl started and what they came up with looks probably considering these hilarious shots.

Great post, I remember most of those pictures back then :)

I've asked someone at Valve (Ken Birdwell I guess) about a playable version of the old, 1997 content, just before they scrapped it and did a complete redesign into what Half-Life is now. He said that he has the playable version on a CD somewhere at his house, lol - maybe we could ask him to release it?

edit: here's the e-mail:

Code:
I don't have one nearby, it's buried in a box at home somewhere, but I
do remember seeing a copy on the web about a year ago.... hmm, a five
minute search didn't find it, but the site did have a playable version
of the 1997 content.  It's pretty horrible. :D

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:05 AM
To: Ken Birdwell
Subject: A HL1 question

I'm reading the GamaSutra article about Half-Life and I wonder - do you 
still have the old maps, models and stuff from the 'original' Half-Life 
that was meant to be released in 1997? It would be really awesome to 
take a look at them, to see what Half-Life could have been :)

A playable version of the 1997 content on the net? We would know about it, wouldn't we?

HL looked like this? No way, no way! It's not possible! I'm used to playing HL platinum package and 1.5. See I heard about cs in the news and my B-day is Sep.15 and 4 days ago, sep.11 happened. So I finally picked up my copy of HL and have never seen HL like this! Thanks alot for this stuff! :bounce:

**Oh yeah this would be sweet content in the collectors edition. Like a pre-half life playable build? :rolling:

I just found this article. Though it might be cool. Here

**And another thing hehe check out a young Gabe Newell rofl.

Back