Gordons Jobb at BMRF

KingPing_NOR

Reaction score
What was Gordons jobb anyway?

In the E3 movie in Elis lab Dr. Mossman says: "Its going to be alot more like Black Mesa with Gordon here around."
Eli: "Right you are. MIT graduat(spelling?) are far and few between these days."

This sounds as if Gordon was an important scientists at BM. But why would they then use him for dangerous jobbs like working close up with experiments where anything can happen.
And why dident he then have acsess with the retinal scaners, and had to find a scientist/guard to acsess it?

At this site:http://website.lineone.net/~wingerden/index.htm
They say this about him: Dr. Gordon Freeman joins the Anomalous Materials team as a Research Associate. As a new employee Dr. Freeman was issued with only Level 3 clearance, and he was treated to very little information regarding the anomalous materials studies and prototype equipment such as the anti-mass spectrometer. As a result his first days mostly consisted of becoming familiar with the computer system and anomalous materials protocol, as well as operating some machinery and assisting in the transport of materials and equipment.

Just because he saved earth or something doesent mean he was a great scientist.

Sooo, was he an important/smart/good scientist or just a guy in a hazard suit who seems to be good with guns.

EDIT: what does MIT stand for?

He is an MIT graduate, that alone is worth mentioning ;)

he works in the Anomolous Materials section..

he is the cleaner that by accident got confused with an MIT graduate and got the job :p

Six Three said:
he works in the Anomolous Materials section..
Did you even read his post?

To the topic starter, it's just that he hasn't been there very long, so he hasn't been promoted or whatever to have that kind of power.

vegeta897 said:
Did you even read his post?

To the topic starter, it's just that he hasn't been there very long, so he hasn't been promoted or whatever to have that kind of power.

Yes I did read the post. I didn't say anything about his rank, I simply commented on his field.

MIT is the massachusetts institute of technology.

Possible things MIT would mean...

MIT=Massachusetts Institute of Technology

MIT=Made In Taiwan <--- I think its this one

MIT=Madras Institute of Technology

MIT=Magnetic Imaging Technology

MIT=Man In Trouble <--- Maybe even this one

MIT=Management Information Tree (TMN)

MIT=Manager-In-Training

MIT=Manukau Institute of Technology (Auckland, New Zealand)

MIT=Manukau Institute of Technology (New Zealand)

MIT=Mapúa Institute of Technology

MIT=Mapua Institute of Technology (Manila, Philippines)

MIT=Market If Touched (trading markets; stocks, bonds, commodities)

MIT=Master Installation Tape

MIT=Master Instruction Tape

MIT=Material In Transit

MIT=Material Improvement Team <--- Maybe?

MIT=Metal-Insulator Transition

MIT=Metal-Insulator Transition (condensed matter physics)

MIT=Metro in Town (Metropolitan State College, Denver, CO)

MIT=Michigan Institute of Technology (Houghton)

(Source)

I remember in one of the HL1 games (may have been an expansion pack) there was a poster of Gordon in one of the offices and it said he was employee of the month. So he must have been working at Black Messa for at least a little while. It also strikes me as odd that he (being us players) doesn't know more about the actual work he did, lets say assuming that whole experiment that started the game had gone right. What would it have done? From the way it sounded Gordon had done plenty of these experiments before so I would assume he knew what they were actually doing.

WAIT!!! MIT=MILITARY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY!!! Just saw a local recruit commercial for it... aint far from here...

The Mullinator said:
I remember in one of the HL1 games (may have been an expansion pack) there was a poster of Gordon in one of the offices and it said he was employee of the month. So he must have been working at Black Messa for at least a little while. It also strikes me as odd that he (being us players) doesn't know more about the actual work he did, lets say assuming that whole experiment that started the game had gone right. What would it have done? From the way it sounded Gordon had done plenty of these experiments before so I would assume he knew what they were actually doing.

I'm mostly sure that the experiment was his first day on the actual job, but before that he was under extensive HEV training and other job training.

KingPing_NOR said:
At this site:http://website.lineone.net/~wingerden/index.htm
They say this about him: Dr. Gordon Freeman joins the Anomalous Materials team as a Research Associate. As a new employee Dr. Freeman was issued with only Level 3 clearance, and he was treated to very little information regarding the anomalous materials studies and prototype equipment such as the anti-mass spectrometer. As a result his first days mostly consisted of becoming familiar with the computer system and anomalous materials protocol, as well as operating some machinery and assisting in the transport of materials and equipment.

That site mixes facts with fiction, it's not trustworthy.

Just because he saved earth or something doesent mean he was a great scientist.

Sooo, was he an important/smart/good scientist or just a guy in a hazard suit who seems to be good with guns.

He was a level 3 research associate with a phd from MIT in theoretical physics.

Mechagodzilla said:
I'm mostly sure that the experiment was his first day on the actual job, but before that he was under extensive HEV training and other job training.

It's a myth that Half-Life takes place during Gordon's first day at work.

or mayb mossman say that the place who looks more like BaclMesa cuz freeman is a scientific from BalckMesa and maybe Eli, mossman and kleiner are the only scientifics of black mesa in that place

<RJMC> said:
or mayb mossman say that the place who looks more like BaclMesa cuz freeman is a scientific from BalckMesa and maybe Eli, mossman and kleiner are the only scientifics of black mesa in that place

What did you just say? :upstare:

<RJMC> said:

Are you in a hurry because your life is in mortal danger?

Looks to me he was basically in an intern position. Black mesa must me one of theose places where if you don't have advanced college degrees, don't even think about the janitor job, much less important scientist. I mean, they WERE messing around with interdiminsional physics. They just got bit on the ass. Several times. By a rather large icythisaur. (however you spell it)

hey I was joking
I didnt know that you all will take that seriously

adulus said:
Looks to me he was basically in an intern position. Black mesa must me one of theose places where if you don't have advanced college degrees, don't even think about the janitor job, much less important scientist. I mean, they WERE messing around with interdiminsional physics. They just got bit on the ass. Several times. By a rather large icythisaur. (however you spell it)
Advanced college degrees? He was a PHD and MIT graduate in theoretical physics. That beats me...
I think Gordon was a very advanced scientist when he worked for Dr Kleiner, but when he joined BMRF he was underestimated and given HEV duty. Or they were just testing him to see if he was the right stuff...

His job was to push a cartload of Material X into the path of a laser beam. BMRF's version of the mail room guy.

It seems unlikely that it would be Gordon's first day on the job, simply because every scientist in the facility knew his name instantly. Also, he had plenty of items in his locker that showed a sense of settling in.

As for his actual job in the test chamber, I find it highly inadequate of Black Mesa's technology to require a human test subject to push a cart into the core of the experimental rays. Thinking logistically, a simple motor or wheel-and-pulley system could be established that moves the cart's substance into the beam without the use of a human being exposed within the confines of the test chamber. Removing him from this area obviously may have jeopardized the fragile life of Mr. Freeman, since so many scientists were killed during the accident. However, his HEV suit was more than enough to protect him, given that unshielded scientists were seen scattered throughout his adventure to Lambda Corp.

- OneMrBean

OneMrBean said:
It seems unlikely that it would be Gordon's first day on the job, simply because every scientist in the facility knew his name instantly. Also, he had plenty of items in his locker that showed a sense of settling in.

Yes. And, when Gordon arrives at the laboratory, the guard says "Good morning Mr. Freeman, looks like you're running late." And the receptionist says that he had a bunch of messages for him. So there.

As for his actual job in the test chamber, I find it highly inadequate of Black Mesa's technology to require a human test subject to push a cart into the core of the experimental rays.

I would imagine that Gordon was supposed to do something after pushing the sample in, but then the resonance cascade occured.

adulus said:
Looks to me he was basically in an intern position. Black mesa must me one of theose places where if you don't have advanced college degrees, don't even think about the janitor job

Its a bit hard to think that Otis(fat security guard) has a advanced college degree. But he probably just went to the police school :hmph:

KingPing_NOR said:
Its a bit hard to think that Otis(fat security guard) has a advanced college degree. But he probably just went to the police school :hmph:
Are you joking he's a rent-a-cop! And we all love him!
Also, I'm sure it wasn't his first day, but atleast like... his first week or sumthin.

Back