Got a spare minute or two and a copy of Trackmania Nations?

Ren.182

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hi all,

So since you've all been helpful in the past helping me testing my maps for my dissertation and such I thought I'd come share my latest work with you all.

I recently applied for a Level Designer position for a big game developer here in the UK and the studio I applied for happens to be their racing studio. They've offered me a trial which I must complete by Monday 18th.

For the trial I must create a track which lasts between 1min15sec - 1min45 sec. It must be fun, interesting, varied and above all accessible. Since Trackmania Nations and it's editor are free they set the challenge within that engine/game. Now I know Trackmania is normally about crazy jumps and stuff, but they wanted this track to be more of a traditional race track rather than a stunt track.

I have created a track and will probably arrange a multiplayer test race for Saturday or possibly tomorrow night. If anyone is up for helping me test it and giving a bit of feedback then it'd be greatly appreciated. I've added a video below of the current version of the track, I don't think it will change much from this now unless a test reveals players don't like certain areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdoZrOxYM0
*Video might still be in the processing stage*

If anyone is willing to come race with me let me know and I'll get a server set up. I'll create a survey too; they'll only be simple questions as I want all designs/changes to come from myself, I'd just require your thoughts/ratings or whatever :)

So yeah, anyone up for a race? :D Get Trackmania Nations downloaded from steam (it's free) and I'll set up a server :)

Cheers guys :D

I'd be up for tomorrow. I finish work at 6pm (GMT obviously), so any time between about 7 and midnight I'm good for.
If it's Saturday, then any time between 8pm and whenever (since I don't have work on Sunday, yay!).

I already have it installed, so I'm up for it.

If I can remember, I'm def. down for this.

Too bad TM isn't totally free anymore like it used to be. You can't even join any servers besides official "Freezone" servers (in which you have to sit out a race every 5 tracks... bullshit), unless you add a server to your favorites manually (which will work for this, thankfully)

^^ Yeah that sucks, but I rarely play this game anymore so whatever.

I don't remember, how do we join your server when you make it? Will it just appear in the list or do we have to type the address?

Sure, if I'm around I'll give it a go. Just name the time.

Cheers guys :D

I tried to host a server last night but my friend couldn't join. I'll find sort my router out to allow me to host the game so you guys can join me. Also to avoid missing out a race every 5 races (I didn't know this happened, not played it in a while) I'll just set the map time stupidly long.

I'm at work all day until 6PM (GMT) tonight, once I'm home I'll eat and figure out how to get my server to work and we can race then if you like :)

Thanks again guys, this test should help me see how new players take to the track :D <3

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Cheers.

If we can't get a server working I'll upload the track online and you can try it in single player. But that won't be nearly as much fun :(

Ok, I think I may have a server online now, I just need someone to try and connect to it.

The url for it is tmtp://#join=beck_server

You need to add this to your favourites first apparently then you will be able to see it? Not sure how you add it to favourites, does anybody know?

They've really made it difficult for people to play together! :(

Update:

Ok, to join you need to type a few url's into the in-game browser.

Load the game and on the main menu there is an "Explorer" button on the left.

In there type/copy in "tmtp://#addfavourite=beck_server" (without the quotations) This should add my server to your favourites.

Then type in "tmtp://#join=beck_server" (no quotations again) and it should join my server and download the track for you.

I'll arrange for a race in a little while :)

Is anybody still playing? I joined the server but it's empty.

Me and Krynn were playing a little while a go to test it, I'll arrange for a full test soon.

When is best for everyone? Anytime today or tomorrow (Saturday) is good for me.

Dekstar is downloading it, it'll take a few hours for him to do that. We can have a race in 2 hours from now? Say midnight GMT?

Is it that easy to get a job with a gaming company? I'm going to apply and steal your place.

Sorry for the bump, but I plan on testing it in 20 minutes from this post.

The races will be 3 laps each, people can stay as long as they want. No pressure to stay if you don't wish.

Steps to get onto the server for those that need it:
Load the game and on the main menu there is an "Explorer" button on the left, click it.

At the top of the browser there is an address bar that pops up when you mouse over it. In there type/copy in "tmtp://#addfavourite=beck_server" (without the quotations) This should add my server to your favourites.

Then type in "tmtp://#join=beck_server" (no quotations again) and it should join my server and download the track for you.

I'm heading onto the server now.

Thank you to anyone that joins in, I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to help me test this track. :) <3

Good track. Just enough to keep you on your toes without being a nightmare to navigate.

I really like the track. The pacing is excellent. With some strategic down clutching and one or two hard brakes you can go full out. It isn't easy though, just like it should be. The only part I don't like is the ending. Looking forward to the new version!

I'll get a new version out tomorrow. :) Thanks for playing! :D

In the mean time the server will be online all night for anyone that missed the races we had. So follow the guide posted above to get onto the server and if you wouldn't mind please fill out the survey if you do play the track.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRTT5ZV

Hopefully there will be more racing tomorrow since it's saturday. I'll aim for a race about 9PM GMT I think, so it's not too late for some. :)

Thanks again! I love you guys! :D

Ok I took some footage of last nights play test which can be seen below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-FfI7_A4AE

The description includes some of the survey results and my thoughts.

Today I'm going to be making some changes here and there and detail the track with some buildings and such. Once that is done I'll host another multiplayer test if people are up for it. I'm aiming to be done around 9PM GMT. Let me know if you want to join or if you'd like to time moved a little.

Thanks again guys!

Some other videos of my progress here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErygI2fuHsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26snxbee-b4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnoC4uc8hI

Sorry for the repeat posts.

I will be hosting my final test in around an hour from the time of this post. The more that turn up the merrier!

For those of you who need the instructions again:
Load the game and on the main menu there is an "Explorer" button on the left, click it.

At the top of the browser there is an address bar that pops up when you mouse over it. In there type/copy in "tmtp://#addfavourite=beck_server" (without the quotations) This should add my server to your favourites.

Hopefully everything will work out great with this version and I won't need to make any changes.

Was fun last night, some very tight races going on, be nice to see you all back on again! :D

Made a new video of the latest track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGGR94S-QvM

Again, you're more than welcome to invite your friends :)

Thanks guys! <3

Cheers Stardog :D

We're on the server now, join if you wish! :D

Quick update for you guys that are interested.

Had an email this morning from Codemasters asking me to go in for an interview! So excited!

Cheers for the help testing guys, was a big help! I'll keep you updated. :)

Congrats dude, good luck with the interview.

Excellent news! Happy to have helped, is the last video you posted the final version you submitted?

Yeah I made a video of the final version, I'll post a link when I get home. :)

Cheers guys! :D

Quick update for you guys that are interested.

Had an email this morning from Codemasters asking me to go in for an interview! So excited!

Cheers for the help testing guys, was a big help! I'll keep you updated. :)

ICAEM

That's awesome news!!

Maybe you can help them make a decent Operation Flashpoint!

Heh, I'd enjoy working on a game like OFP, but it's really different to how it used to be.

Got a date for my interview now, May 3rd. Bricking it but equally as excited! :D

Thanks guys! :D

Back