Graphics card problems

Jonz0r

Reaction score
well i finally bought my ATi Radeon x800gto 256mb PCI-E
I installed it and guess what i saw... EVERYTHING WAS PINK!!111

So i go back to the shop and they tell me i need a new PSU. Which i thought was the problem because i only have a 288W PSU.

Ive never installed a PSU before and i just wanted to post here to make sure its kool with my system. I have a HP pavilion machine.. If i change PSUs will i have any problems.. Knowing HP :S

Thanks

Jon

They are going cheap though.. £15 for like a 450W psu...

Which PSU would i need? 400W or a 450W?

Some manufacturers use proprietry PSUs, so a third party one may not work. Dunno about HP though.

right... This just makes me more angry.. How can i check if i can use another PSU. Because if i cant im going to go mad because i cant get a full refund on my card because of some shity tax thing of returning hardware.. So id get £109 instead of £130. Im going to buy this PSU tomorrow. I hope it works. If it doesnt it wont damge my hardware will it?

Don't for the love of god buy a cheap PSU, and look at the inside of your case, look at the size of the PSU.. I think HP won't let you upgrade a PSU though.

Right... Now ive lost money traveled back and forth into town for ****ign jack shit.. Ive asked someone with the same PC as me and he had the same problem. I cant upgrade the PSU. Great.. Buy a 2k machine and you cant do **** all with it apart from upgrade memory. Want some advice people DONT BUY HP IF UR GONNA UPGRADE SHIT. Il take the card back tommorrow and il guess il have to stick with this crappy x600 great day for wasting time.

Yeah pre-builts are never good for upgrading. Sorry to hear about what happened though ;(

Shit happens m8. That shit has just happened to me -.-

Well guess il just save the money.

My XPS was pre-built and they encourage you to upgrade and overclock :p, either way ul mate, even though i was in town with you today :S

couldn't you just buy a new case - one with the psu already attached
problem solved

john3571000 said:
couldn't you just buy a new case - one with the psu already attached
problem solved

We'll you could but like i said the PSU's that come with cases are not tru power. So your just wasting your money, and ionstalling a PSU is not that hard at all.

lister said:
We'll you could but like i said the PSU's that come with cases are not tru power. So your just wasting your money, and ionstalling a PSU is not that hard at all.

No he is right. Since you cant upgrade your PSU in the HP case. Just buy another case and transplant all the parts from the HP case to the new one.

A cheap case and decent PSU would save you the money that would be wasted if your new videocard was just sitting there unusued.

He's getting rid of it tomorrow :( ... tis a shame really, its a lot better then his current card, would have done him good.

I havnt got rid of it yet... I would only change case once the warrently as warn off...

My old HP Pavilion was the same. I was gonna buy a new case and transfer it all over but the computer was old anyway so I just got a new one.

As you want to keep the warrenty, then there's not a lot you can do. You might be able to get away with it if you peel those "Void Warrenty If Removed" stickers of carefully. ;)

Back