gravity gun ripoff?

T

Therumblefish

If anyone has played "DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil" then they'll know what I'm talking about.

For those of you that haven't played it, about 30 minutes into the game you come across a gun called the Ionized Plasma Levitator. Basically it's like the gravity gun but with a stream of plasma that shoots out and allows you to manipulate objects.

The makers of Doom said that they had the idea planned for the original Doom 3 before they ever saw it in Half-Life. At any rate it isn't as well done as the HL2 gravity gun because the beam part is distracting, and it will only let you hold an object for about 15 seconds before it overheats.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was... maybe to just see if anyone else knew about it and what they think.

BTW, I highly suggest the original DOOM 3 for anyone that hasn't played it yet. It's creepy as hell (har har har, get the joke?)

Yeah it sucks wads doesn't :p (the rip off gg)

And DooM 3 really wasn't scary for me. About half of this forums agrees with that :p

You played F.E.A.R. yet?

Yeah when we first saw it we were miffed at the copying, but then we saw it/ used it, laughed and left it and forgot about it.

And as beerdude is probably getting at, i found F.E.A.R much better for scares (and everything else), that is a truely fantastic game.

I haven't played FEAR yet, but I've heard it's good. I'll have to give it a try.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic and enjoyed the new DOOM because of how I liked the originals. I still think that DOOM 3 on nightmare mode and in the dark is pretty intense though...

Doesn't it also have a suit with a built in flashlight?

The orginal doom3 could allready do this, and it was released before hl2. Just some commands in the console and BOOM you have it. The had the tech to do this, so they just took advantage of their engine..who can blame them?

Besides...everything is inspired from something...is all the FPS with guns rip-offs of each other?

The IPL was nice, but I never used it more than in the beginning when you first got it (and at the end).

Yeah, they had a lamer version of the gravity gun. But it was useless because there were hardly any physics objects, the stupid effect made it really hard to figure out what was going on around you and aim the projectile, you could only hold something for about 10 seconds (wtf is that?), and it made barrels explode in your face. It was just a lame attempt to be more like HL2 because they knew they got owned.

Sanius said:
You're a bit late with this.

Indeed.

And FEAR isn't all that scary, till you get to the end.

I mean, some parts were pretty creepy, but c'mon. The only time I would jump was when they streamed a picture (jpeg quality) of a dead guy into my video feed. And after like, the fifth one, I just started laughing every time I saw one.

:p

But yeah. At the end, when you he opens the chamber, that scared the SHIT outa me

EDIT: Hmm, spoiler tags don't work atm.

Oh well, not much of a spoiler anyway.

So what if its a ripoff. Was fun to use in Doom 3: ROE.

sinkoman said:
But yeah. At the end, when you he opens the chamber, that scared the SHIT outa me

True.

Another scary part were at the office building, you came into this pretty big office and you could hear this music start to play, looked left into a small, pitch-black, computer-room and see something just crawling 1 meters away from you. Really ****ing scared the crap out of me.

FEAR was average.

I enjoyed using the 'Grabber', because whilst a rip off, it simply wasn't good enough to compete nor up to par with HL2's anyway, so it was best to sit back and enjoy. ROE was about 10 times better than Doom 3 ever was.

Ravioli said:
The orginal doom3 could allready do this, and it was released before hl2. Just some commands in the console and BOOM you have it. The had the tech to do this, so they just took advantage of their engine..who can blame them?

They didn't develop the core concept of it though. Either way, they ripped it.

I have Doom 3 RoE and I do know what you are talking about with the Gravity Gun. First of all in my mind you get it way to early in the game. Second of all I don't like how you have to use it to complete a level as in moving some lose bricks out of the way to go through a secret passage way. I never really used it that much I think that they could have made a better gun to put in its place. As in a grenade launcher, RoE was way to short.... Doom should have waited untill they have added a lot more levels to release it to the public I was highly dissapointed. Only part of RoE I like is the Double Barrel Shotgun! That thing rocked but I had a problem with that also! I did not like how it would shoot both shells at the same time and you could not just shoot one.

Darth Sidious said:
RoE was way to short....

Yeah, that was my main concern with the game. The new enemies, artefacts and Double Barrelled Shotgun saved it from a flop for me though.
One thing I enjoyed with the IPL was to use it against the annoying Lost Souls, it was very useful against them (especially at the end boss).

I played up until around this point and haven't played since. Not because I was offended by the grabber or anything... Ressurection of Evil just came off as frighteningly dull, frighteningly quickly.

ríomhaire said:
Doesn't it also have a suit with a built in flashlight?

i thought the flashlight was a weapon of sorts altogether.
you even have a melee attack option with it.

you all do know that the gravity gun is actually made, right?
small Detail on my post: it's not that hard to reduce the gravity feild for like 1/10, however, you can't make it zero. and that's because of the inner energy each and every molecule of an object has. that means you can lift up heavy object by having a LIM (-->0) for the gravity. :NERD:

Back