guess I need a processer upgrade..

Sanius

Reaction score
Can someone reccomend a good cheap processer (AMD only), that can keep up with my geforce 6800? I don't know how much my 2500+ is slowing down my card, but it feels like alot. I found an amd 3000+ for $147 on newegg, OEM. Will that be enough to satisfy my card and hl2? Also, will my heatsink for my amd 2500+ barton (came with it, stock heatsink) work on this?

First of all you could overclock your 2500 (they are good overclockers) and if that is not good enough for you then a 3500+ Athlon 64 is a good place to start. Look around at benchmarks from Anandtech, Toms hardware and HardOCP to see how CPU limited your card is.

Personally if your looking for a quick fix like i was, just go for a athlon 64 3000+ for both boards there only about £100 and frankly its not top notch but leaves plenty of future space to upgrade (either to 3700+ which is bloody fast for the time being on the 754 board, or FF-55 ect on the 939 boards) Also lets face it reaslitically for gaming for the next 6 months maybe you really arnt going to push that 3000+ two much, and maybe it will be more adaquate when win 64 comes out and gives all the amd 64's a nice big speed boost.

Back