Guide to Making CS:S Work - In Theory

SubKamran

Reaction score
This guide is customized to ATI users, but nVidia users can do a lot of the same things (in Graphics).

GRAPHICS

Make SURE in your ATI Control Panel in the SMARTGART tab, that your AGP speed is 4x or 8x and that Fastwrite is On.

Next, DISABLE Vsync, it's not a good option :D Disable it in the control panel and in CS:S.

Next, install DirectX 9.0c.

Next, install at least Catalyst 4.8 (non-beta, it's fully released now). 4.9 beats were tested by me and they worked.

Next, right-click the desktop, click Properties, go to the Settings tab, click Advanced, click the Troubleshoot tab, make sure Hardware Acceleration is full, also click "Enable Write Combining" make sure it's checked.

Next, click the Monitor tab (same window), turn your Refresh Rate to something higher than 60hz. If your monitor doesn't come back up when you try a new setting, wait 15 seconds, it will go back to normal. Keep it on the setting that looks best. Mine is at 85hz 1600x1200.

SYSTEM

Next, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System -> Disk Cleanup. Select your main drive, once it loads, check EVERYTHING and click "Clean Up".

Next, defrag your computer (this can be done later, but DO it), mine is set to do it automatically every night, it keeps the HD clean and speeds up my computer to maximum speed.

Next, go into Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

To disable a service, right-click it and select "Properties". Then in the box, near Startup Type, select "Disable", then click "OK"

Disable the following services:

• Telephony (this thing is wierd...it doesn't need to be active)
  • Messenger (this isn't MSN messenger, so disable it, it's annoying)
  • Alerter
  • Routing and Remote Access
  • If you do not host any sites on your computer, disable "IIS Admin". This is a security issue.

Those are disabled on my Windows XP Professional. Windows 98 users don't worry about that, Windows 2000 users can do the same thing.

Next, right click My Computer, click Properties, go to Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck "Auto Restart". This will keep your computer on if there's an error so it won't "automatically restart".

Close out of that window, in the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings, click Advance, make sure "Programs" is checked under each heading.

Next, don't close it, under Page File, click Change, check "System managed size".

Close out of all the windows.

SOFTWARE

Next, check your computer for Spyware, use AdAware 6 to scan and get rid of anything.

If you need an Antivirus software, download this

If you need a firewall, download this

Don't use Internet Explorer unless you have Service Pack 2, even then I suggest you download this terrific browser, FireFox. You'll find it's 10x more secure than IE. I've never gotten any spyware, so it's awesome.

ALMOST DONE

Restart your computer.

Do this before playing CS:S

Next, close ALL background programs (except virus or firewall software). Hit ctrl-alt-del and click the Username part so it sorts it by who's running each process. End any process that shouldn't be there under YOUR "username" (don't end anything by SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE). Google processes you don't know about, these are the ones that I keep open:

• atiptaxx.exe (ATI Control Panel)
  • avgcc32.exe (my anti-virus)
  • SMax4PNP.exe (SoundMAX Sound)
  • ati2evxx.exe (ATI)
  • ctfmon.exe (system program)
  • steam.exe (guess!)
  • explorer.exe (windows GUI)

Credit to Wraith for: Try adding -nosound to the Launch Options of CS:S.

NOW try running CS:S.

I've basically configured your computer to my settings, so it should, in theory, work. :)

alfred reynolds of valve software told me in an email to try adding "-nosound" to the launch options. it didnt help me but it might help someone else.

This should help some of the newbies who've been flooding this board :thumbs:

But why would you play with your firewall and av software on? it just eats resources.

CB | Para said:
This should help some of the newbies who've been flooding this board :thumbs:

But why would you play with your firewall and av software on? it just eats resources.

Not the ones I have...AVG only takes up 4.9MB of memory. Norton does take up resources and slows down the computer.

CB | Para said:
True. I always play with a "selective start-up" ;)

Yah, I just disable any things I don't want to startup right away. :p Like "real scheduler" or "qttask.exe" (quicktime tasks).

lol. after fix one error, i ended up getting another, so i just deleted all traces of steam off my comp and reinstalled it again. took bout 2 hrs to download everything again but it runs fine now :rolling:

snak3y3z1001 said:
lol. after fix one error, i ended up getting another, so i just deleted all traces of steam off my comp and reinstalled it again. took bout 2 hrs to download everything again but it runs fine now :rolling:

That's another way :p :thumbs:

SubKamran said:
Yah, I just disable any things I don't want to startup right away. :p Like "real scheduler" or "qttask.exe" (quicktime tasks).

Oh how I hate those two! especially the quicktime start-up, sometimes it would come back after I deleted it from the reg. It just wouldn't die :LOL:

my comp is confingured fine to run CS:S. but the only thing is i can't get a single game to display. i've added loads of my mate's servers to my list, but all i get is <Not Responding>

fooking annoying. dunno what's up with it. any suggestions?

Defragging every night is so stupid. Not only are you wearing down your hard drive, but it simply needs to be done once a month, or fortnightly if you move alot of files.

Nightly is stupid.

AVG virus doesn't seem to eat resources .. (didn't try it but that's what alot of reviews say)

does pc-cillin eat resources?

edit:
dedalus, that's no way a CS:S screenshot .. unless I'm missing something.

azz0r, why stupid? I say if you can defrag your HD every night, do it.

Dedalus said:
my comp is confingured fine to run CS:S. but the only thing is i can't get a single game to display. i've added loads of my mate's servers to my list, but all i get is <Not Responding>

fooking annoying. dunno what's up with it. any suggestions?

I get the same thing mate :(

And azz0r...it doesn't really matter, this or next week I'm buying a new drive. Then I'll set it every week.

And dedalus, copy the server IP, in the console type "connect {ip}" where {ip} = server ip.

I STRONGLY recommend that everyone checks this link:
http://www.saywhatagain.co.uk/stuff/guide.swf
This will improve your computer's overall performance A LOT

*For those who are weary (sp?) of links, it's more tips on which programs to shut off etc. Overall tweaks*

Edit: You'll need a Flash Player for this link too.

i think i found a fix for that server problem.

it was on the steampowered forums (thanks to Crush for the link ;) )

go to c:\program files\steam\config and look for the file serverbrowser.vdf. delete it while steam is still running.

then load up CS:S and go to Find Servers. it should start refreshing the list.

worked for me. :)

Dedalus said:
i think i found a fix for that server problem.

it was on the steampowered forums (thanks to Crush for the link ;) )

go to c:\program files\steam\config and look for the file serverbrowser.vdf. delete it while steam is still running.

then load up CS:S and go to Find Servers. it should start refreshing the list.

worked for me. :)

The list is fine, but not the Favorites...it still is "<not responding" :p

Back