Guillermo del Toro in talks to direct upcoming Hobbit films

Sedako

Chuck Steak
Reaction score
From Hollywoodreporter:

Hollywoodreporter said:
Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Thank god. I believe Sam Raimi was on that same list. If previous del Toro films are anything to go by, I think it's safe to say that he'll do a great job. I'm still a little skeptical with how they plan on writing a movie about the 60 years between Hobbit and LOTR. There really isn't any detailed Tolkien source to go by for that.

They need to get Ridley Scott or Terry Gilliam

Haha at Terry Gilliam. Would be the weirdest version of the Hobbit ever. And Del Toro's background is amazingly similar to Peter Jackson's, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did an excellent job as well.

Although I wish he'd just drop everything and get on with that adaptation of The Mountains of Madness that he's planning.

Del Toro should be trustworthy.
I think Empire has an article on the Hobbit this month or next month.

I found The Devil's Backbone enjoyable as well.

Could be worse, someone could jinx it by saying Uwe Boll could be directing it in a forum thread, therefor making it come to pass.

Uwe Boll shouldn't even be brought into a context where he doesn't fit in (IE decent film directors).

Boll would never direct something that wasn't a video game bastardization. He hates gamers, not readers.

Gamers raped his dog and killed his family.

Also, off-topic:
HOLY SHIT MARIA FLORES

Why haven't I seen your posts until now? Even in threads I frequent I've somehow overlooked them, and I read EVERYBODY'S posts...

See, that one I saw, but I figured it a one-use account. I'd no idea you were still posting.

Boll would never direct something that wasn't a video game bastardization.

hobbit_game.jpg

D:

D:

Anyway. Awesome news if this is indeed true! :E

Hmmm, so Jackson is back for production, and the guy who did Hellboy is up for it.

This could be excellent beyond excellence.

Why on earth are they talking about multiple films? Why does such a short book need more than a single film, apart from if you're trying to cash in on the success of a famous trilogy?

Although I wish he'd just drop everything and get on with that adaptation of The Mountains of Madness that he's planning.
???? How did this news ever escape me! Yes, make this one NOW please!!!

And as far as the Hobbit goes, Peter will not let just anyone potentially grime up what has arguably become his legacy. I have confidence in whatever choice he makes. Oh, and it may be "short", but it is absolutely STUFFED with quality content that may indeed justify 2 movies, just like Harry Potter 7.

Why on earth are they talking about multiple films? Why does such a short book need more than a single film, apart from if you're trying to cash in on the success of a famous trilogy?

I asked myself the same thing.

They better not **** this up, I love the Hobbit, quite a lot more than I do Lord of the Rings

It's finally official folks, Director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy," "Pan's Labyrinth") has signed to direct New Line and MGM's "The Hobbit" and its sequel.

According to Variety, the announcement came came Thursday afternoon from executive producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and newly named MGM chief Mary Parent.

Del Toro's will move to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams.

He'll also direct the two films back to back with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between "The Hobbit" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".

The studios have not given a start date on production and don't yet have a script. It's widely expected that the "LOTR" scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

The general thought is that they will start shooting next year and release the films in late 2011 and 2012.

Hobbit sequel was never written by Tolkien, unless they are referring to the adventures of Tom Bombadill (sp?), the character they excluded from LotR.

Bombadill was just silly.

I think this is good news. As has been said here before, Jackson's and Del Toro's film histories aren't all that dissimilar. And I think Pan's Labyrinth has proven to many people that he can do more than action/horror. I think he can capture the visual sensibility for it too.

Yeah, I am not sure exactly what they are talking about in terms of a sequel. I just thought that since there was so much content in The Hobbit that they would split it into 2 movies. Time will tell, but an announcement like this makes me a little nervous....

Last I heard they wanted to do a split, and make two movies from the one book. We'll see what happens.

****ing sweet, I'd love to see Guillermo's visual style put in to the LotR universe.

1st sequel will be The Hobbit.

2nd sequel will be based off of tolkien's "history" appendices and fill the gap between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

-- for the second sequel, i want to see: the first adventures of gandalf and aragorn; the mines of moria in its golden days; the friendship between gandalf and saruman and saruman's fall to evil; more?

Sir Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis and now supposed to be doing it too. Good news so far.

probably not the popular sentiment but the Hobbit was dreadfully boring ..could barely get through it and dont remember a thing from it ..really hobbit are loathsome creatures ..they're the smurfs of fantasy

I like the director but doubt I'd see the movie

Back