Half-Life 1 Is Killing Me!

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
I FINALLY got Half-Life 1, went through the training course to get a feel for the game (same as HL2, go figure..:upstare: ), I started a new game on Hard, and it's killing me! I've only just gotten past the first time your outside, and I've got killed like 50 times, mostly by headcrabs! Someone give me some tips or something, but don't give me tips that apply to HL2, just HL1 tips. Please.

Also, I found out that HL1 has alot more/better puzzles, and it doesn't even have physics: wtf HL2 puzzles?

I FINALLY got Half-Life 1, went through the training course to get a feel for the game (same as HL2, go figure..:upstare: ),

Gwah?

Also, HL1 is loads harder than HL2, start playing it on Easy, trust me, you'll still get a challenge.

Yeah, starting on hard was definitely a mistake. I played through it my first time on normal, and it was far harder than HL2 on hard.

Great game, though :D

Well, you see, I am hardcore, therefore I need to play on hard!

Also, I meant the controls are the same as HL2..

Switch it down to Medium or something. Half-Life can be murder on Hard.

I don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the Training session. Half-Life 2 didn't have one.

No, I meant the controls are the same!

You're confusing. The controls on HL1 are the same WASD combo that every other FPS game out there for the PC is. It's not like it's that big of a deal (actually, it's not a "deal" at all, if you have a beef with Hl1's controls, then you really shouldn't be playing FPS games in general).

.....I never said that there was a problem with the controls, I was simply saying that they are the exact same controls as HL2, most games use "c" for crouch, and little things like that, but HL1, and HL2 have the exact same controls, now stop with the damn controls arguement, this thread was derailed by the 2nd post ffs!

STAY ON TOPIC!!

.....I never said that there was a problem with the controls, I was simply saying that they are the exact same controls as HL2, most games use "c" for crouch, and little things like that, but HL1, and HL2 have the exact same controls, now stop with the damn controls arguement, this thread was derailed by the 2nd post ffs!

STAY ON TOPIC!!

Haha, I derailed your topic? Nice try, kiddo, but I didn't even bring up the control scheme, and I even gave you some advice for your problem, so shove it.

What did you mean by "Gwah?" then?

STAY ON TOPIC DAMN YOU!!

What did you mean by "Gwah?" then?

STAY ON TOPIC DAMN YOU!!

I meant that I was confused by you saying that the "training" in HL2 and Hl1 were the same.

But really, there isn't that big of a topic to stay on. HL1 is a bitch of a game, and even easy and normal will give you a pretty big challenge. Not to mention that it's the kind of game you'll want to play more than once, so stepping up difficulty levels shouldn't be a big hassle for you. And not to dehumanize you or anything, but if you're having trouble with headcrabs, then you're going to be ripping out all of your hair in the later parts of the game.

HL1 for the first time on hard mode is rediculusly hard if u don't know what to expect.

I only had troubles with headcrabs when they come in bunches, like packs of 15
biggringl7.gif
(happened 2 times so far).

I would also like to add that it sucked killing the Voritgaunts
biggringl7.gif
, I <3 Vortigaunts!

Crowbar the headcrabs when they jump at your face.

Crowbar the headcrabs when they jump at your face.

Or if he's right about the packs of headcrabs (I don't know if he's exaggerating or not, I've never really tried Hl1 on hard). Just toss a grenade. Problem solved.

It takes like 3 hits with a crowar/pistol to kill 1 headcrab, I just use the pistol and shoot them from a distance, if I can get far enough..

Also, by the time I got the grenades, I didn't encounter any other packs of headcrabs.

You're having troubles with Headcrabs? Okay, best way to deal with them, if you don't want to be damaged upon and waste ammo, is to try to get behind them as they are slow turning around. You could also approach one head-on and as he's close enough to leap at your face just sidestep aside and he'll fly right across ya, turn around and whack him in the butt with the crowbar. Of course it's harder when facing a group of them (mostly 4 or more).

But seriously, turn down the difficulty to, at least, Normal. If you got problems so early in the game your best luck is just to give up now.

Slacker said:
(I don't know if he's exaggerating or not, I've never really tried Hl1 on hard)

Half-Life 1 on Hard is very challenging, especially on Xen, but the ultimate test is Opposing Force on Hard. Believe me, you don't know what Hard means until you've tried OP4. :p

Half-Life on hard wasn't really that hard... just sneak around.

The best way to deal with crabs is too see a doctor.
Seriously though just use god mode always works for me.

I'd like to see you try to frag me when I'm using god mode.

Dr. Kleiner? Dr. Vance? Dr. Freeman? Dr. G-man?

I've got killed like 50 times, mostly by headcrabs!
Does. Not. Compute.

HL1 for the first time on hard mode is rediculusly hard if u don't know what to expect.
I'm in agreement with everyone - play first on easy/medium then go upwards. Or you can try to quicksave all the time so you can load and know what to expect - but that wont help you when you need to explore under dangerous circumstances.

That doesn't mean they're certified medical people...
But they are still Doctors ;) - wow wouldn't Gman make the spookiest GP?

My own problem with HL1 at the moment, playing on hard - first time with the steamed version, is that I'm in Nihilanth chamber and the "bouncy craters" don't work properly. A quick test in HL:Source reveals that they do work properly there so I might just "finish" the game on that.

When I played F.E.A.R, I turned it to hard, painted my room and windows black, removed every light, drew a pentagram in my cats blood around my chair, lit some candles, found a mirror and did "Bloody Mary", turned the volume to max, and then dropped some acid. It was so Go time.

They are doctors but not in the way that was implied. ;)

Half-Life is just as easy as Half-Life 2.

If you must play on hard, do what Operational said quicksave before every corner :p

Conserve ammo, don't rush out, use cover ALOT. It's really hard on hard, so you gotta probably replay parts alot.

AutoSave is a best friend.

Back