Half-Life 2 and every Source mods addicted to 2 speakers

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and a set of Creative Inspire 6.1 speakers. In the control panel I have set 7.1 since there is no 6.1 option and in the Creative speaker settings I set 6.1 and ticked the box to Synchronize with control panel...

Now the problem is each time I start Half-Life 2 or any other mod the game resets my Creative Speakers to 2 Speakers, even when 6.1 is the default. When I put 7.1 speakers in-game only the front left and right speakers play, resulting in not hearing sounds that would be in front center etc.

After I leave the game I go and set back speaker settings to 6.1 and when I get back in the game it is at 2 speakers AGAIN!

The only way to fix it is to get in the game, alt+tab, set creative speakers to 6.1, set in-game to 7.1 and restart game. Then it won't reset back to 2 speakers BUT it resets each time I reboot my PC for some reason... I have the latest drivers from Creative. Any ideas?

Thanks!

When you run the game, use the windows botton, and change them back. Apart from that I dunno, I'm not an expert on sound :cheese:
BTW welcome!

Hey thanks for the warm welcome!

It seems I managed to fix the problem. All I did was to un-install everything completely and do a clean with Driver Cleaner Pro. After that I installed everything again and did all the latest updates. I unticked the Synchronize with Control Panel thingie and it doesn't reset to 2 Speakers even when I reboot.

Let's just hope it keeps this way now and it wasn't after running some other game that had got it screwed before.

Back