Half-Life 2 benchmark numbers right here

Ya I saw those and I have an ATI Radeon 9800 non pro 256 bit

How does the Radeon 9600 beat some of the others.

Originally posted by d8cam
How does the Radeon 9600 beat some of the others.

It wins in the FPS/$ category. In other words "bang for the buck."

hehe... it is sorta funny. :)

hl21.gif

A 9600 looking down at the 5900 Ultra.

Originally posted by alco
hehe... it is sorta funny. :)

hl21.gif

A 9600 looking down at the 5900 Ultra.

Lol I have the 9800 non pro 256 bit...i dont see how some of those cards are only getting 10fps...what the hell

Originally posted by d8cam
Lol I have the 9800 non pro 256 bit...i dont see how some of those cards are only getting 10fps...what the hell

It's a DX9 Full Precision Performance test, d8cam.

Geez, what happened to NVIDIA? They used to be the kings. How did they get so far behind ATI? I don't keep up with hardware stuff much. I just bought an ATI on Valve's recommendation. Glad I did.

For once in my entire life(With my Radeon 9600) I've never been so proud of my 9600

WHY!?!?!

Why oh why did I buy this FX5600!!! I was blind by fanboyism!!! I hated my 7500 and scrapped up day and night for that 5600! NOW I'LL BARELY GET 20FPS!! Oh why why why why?!?!?! Oh well, wheres that street bum with the supposed 9800 Pro.....

im sure as hell that i got a 9800 pro rather than a 5900!!!

anywho i doubt ill run wiht everthing on, i hope for around 80-100 fps

EDIT: OMG ALL THIS GOOD NEWS AT ONCE, first i find out im going to the river(its gonna be flipin hot) then this. i have a smile on my face.

thank dog i own a 9800 pro :bounce: i wonder if i will be getting good results at 1280 x 1024? :eek:

I'm planning on using my backup 9800 for HL2, because it seems to perform better. I do think that Valve specifically programmed HL2 to run better on ATi cards as a marketing ploy. Money probably changed hands, and Valve "magically" forgot how to program for Nvidia products and wham, here we are today.

Kinda sad, really.

Originally posted by Joneleth
I'm planning on using my backup 9800 for HL2, because it seems to perform better. I do think that Valve specifically programmed HL2 to run better on ATi cards as a marketing ploy. Money probably changed hands, and Valve "magically" forgot how to program for Nvidia products and wham, here we are today.

Kinda sad, really.

Don't make stuff up. It's important to mention that this isn't the only test in which ATi out-performed Nvidia.

Kinda sad, really.

Kinda sad that you made that up and appear to believe it, really. If you read the firingsquad article, you'll see that Valve spend 5 times as long optimizing the nVidia pipeline than they did on Ati. Why? Because Ati works fine in the native DX9 path, and nVidia simply doesn't. Valve had to make a totally custom combination DX8 + DX9 path to squeeze out a few more FPS for the FX cards. You should be GRATEFUL.

Kinda sad that you made that up and appear to believe it, really. If you read the firingsquad article, you'll see that Valve spend 5 times as long optimizing the nVidia pipeline than they did on Ati. Why? Because Ati works fine in the native DX9 path, and nVidia simply doesn't. Valve had to make a totally custom combination DX8 + DX9 path to squeeze out a few more FPS for the FX cards. You should be GRATEFUL.

Um, you buy that BS? You must be one of those people that reads the news in a newspaper and believes that's the whole story. Well, to clue you in, there's always a reason behind everything. It's not just that the DX9 path is different, because Valve is a real company with real programmers. This is what they're paid to do, make the software work with the hardware.

I honestly believe theres something fishy going on here.

Um, you buy that BS? You must be one of those people that reads the news in a newspaper and believes that's the whole story. Well, to clue you in, there's always a reason behind everything. It's not just that the DX9 path is different, because Valve is a real company with real programmers. This is what they're paid to do, make the software work with the hardware.

Please stop. You are just embarrassing yourself.

And I'd like to mention that OTHER non-Valve benchmarks have had similar results.

ATI used to suck for the longest time... but within the last year their cards have been much better than nvidia.. and if you are upgrading for HL2, ATI is the ONLY choice without a doubt.

I mean the 9600 performs better than the 5900 Ultra!? lol... the 9600 Pro can be bought for $130. The cheapest I've seen the 5900 Ultra was $420... Save almost $300 and get better performace? Don't mind if I do :)

INDEED MY FRIEND! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve, id, Gearbox, and Eidos were all in a meeting AT THIS VERY MOMENT hatching thier evil plans on how to make nVidia cards run poorly on their DX9 games!!! BWHAHAAHAHHA!

I'll explain this to you slowly, oh confused one: DirectX is a third-party standard. Hardware vendors like Ati and nVidia produce cards in accordance to that graphics standard, and game developers code games in accordance to that standard. If the graphics card vendor SCREWS UP their implementation of DirectX, then games written under that standard will not perform optimally on that card.

Hence, because nVidia SCREWED UP their implementation of DirectX 9, games written for DirectX 9 do not perform optimally on those cards.

If this is difficult for you to understand, there's nothing I can do to help you. I'm afraid you'll have to remain convinced that every DX9 game/application ever written is part of some kind of vast anti-nVidia conspriacy.

i sure like ATi nVidia will have a driver to better the performance for HL2 and other games alike, it might not help as much as some would like but it would be very wise for nVidia to try.

Originally posted by KiNG
i sure like ATi nVidia will have a driver to better the performance for HL2 and other games alike, it might not help as much as some would like but it would be very wise to nVidia to try.

Yes, it appears that way. At the end of the firingsquad article they note that nVidia commented on the whole thing, saying that they will have new drivers out before HL2 is released that should resolve problems. Who knows how much performance improvement they'll give, but heck, if nVidia is as good as improving HL2 performance with new drivers as they were with improving 3dMark03 performance, they'll get 200 fps out of it ;)

Ok, those of you who have nvidia hardware shouldn't fret. Now I do own a 9800 pro, but I upgraded from a geforce 3 ti 200. Ati certainly holds the crown for now... and I am happy with my purchase, but...

(puts on flame retardant suit)

Nvidia DOES have a great history of driver improvements with each release. Whether you are a fan of either hardware, you must admit that nvidia's detonator series has been great for updates and improving hardware performance for nvidia products. I am sure that they will waste no time in making improvements for thier drivers. I also hope that Ati has been paying attention (and it appears that they have) in continuing optimizations for the catylist series of drivers as well.

Originally posted by Goombatommy
But see, is it all in the drivers, or all in the hardware capabilities?

The drivers are limited to the hardware capabilities (unless your coding for Nvidia that is.)

I'm glad I bought my 9800pro. I almost when the other way with the 5900ultra which had just come out at the time. The benchmarks at the time showed it to be faster than the 9800pro.

Thank god I read like EVERY review from basicly every hardware site. ATI's pixel shader superiority wasn't as apparent as now, but that's what I based my decision on as I'd read that shaders (especially ps 2.0) were very important for next-gen titles.

I feel bad for the people who bought 5900ultras. They spent between $430-$525 (depending on when they bought it.) I'd be pretty pissed right now if I were one of those guys.

Nvidia's misrepresentation of their FX line as beyond DX9 compliant (ie DX9++) and their benchmark "optimizations" (which were in reality nothing more than cheats,) is distrubing.

I expect Nvidia to lose alot of it's user base due to their dishonest behavior (not to mention the FX lines horrible DX9 performance.)

I'm not a ATI fanboy by any means. I upgrade my rig every 3 years, so I want it to be as foreward compatible as possible. I'm glad I didn't go the other way.

yeah that is kinda sad.

Originally posted by Jagermeister
Sorry, but I just have to post this pic. :cheese:
No that is not right either. The way its meant to be played is with the DX9 software rasterizer [for DX9 games]. Of course, you play at around 1 fph (frame per hour), but still :p

I can't help but laugh thinking about at all of those game ads with the...

"Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played."

Yeah, if you want 10fps. They should be sued for libel and misrepresentation.

EDIT: Just finished writing this response to Jager's post (in between watching the Animatrix and talking to my friend) and just saw the previous post. Must of come in mid-post... goes to show that great minds think alike. Lol.
:cheers:

crap on a stick, i have a ti4600, time to upgrade it would seem.

Originally posted by RhapSidious
Another new article... http://inquirerinside.com/default.aspx?article=11492

With Half-Life 2 scheduled to ship before NV40, it looks like there's no getting around the fact that ATI is the only game in town when it comes to HL2. As for Nvidia, NV40 had better bring substantial performance increases—or its going to get real ugly in the graphics war.

:cool:

i have the 9800 pro 256 mb,

Originally posted by roxXx
With Half-Life 2 scheduled to ship before NV40, it looks like there's no getting around the fact that ATI is the only game in town when it comes to HL2. As for Nvidia, NV40 had better bring substantial performance increases—or its going to get real ugly in the graphics war.

:cool:

i have the 9800 pro 256 mb,
NV40 probably wont ship in at least 6 months. If even that. Unless Nvidia pulls it out of their hat (which isnt impossible, its what ATI did with the R300) :)
HL2 is scheduled to be out half a month you know... At any rate, they have already lost the last 50 or so battles, its like hoping Germany could win the war when Russian and American troops was inside Berlin :p

But maybe for the next game. My guess is that Nvidia, seeing this is gonna triple their efforts in Doom III. Wouldnt surprise me if both Doom III and NV40 will be tailored for each other to fit perfectly at 100+ fps. If they can keep that up, and still at least manage to keep the same pace as the closest ATI competitor in the rest of the games, then maybe they might win that battle...

is it just me or is the site down?? damnit i wont to look at those benchmarks

Back