Half-Life 2 crashes at the beggining

K

Kleppy

Hi everyone.

I have a pretty strange issue with Half-Life 2. Thing is, I played it on this machine a lot, and had no problems. The problems started roughly 3-4 months ago, when I wanted to replay it before Episode 2 came out. Now, whenever I started the first chapter, as soon as the G-man made his appearance, the game would crash, and crash hard. A solid blue screen, no error messages, no nothing, just a blue screen which forced me to reset. This was running on XP.

Tinkering with the settings didn't help, at best I could've gotten to the point when I get control of Gordon, then it would crash in the exact same manner. I tried all the solutions on the steam support site, nothing helped.

So I figured maybe I should just reformat my machine and see if it would help. I reformatted, and installed Vista. That means new drivers, new settings, everything. But still, the game refuses to run. On Vista it manages to go through the G-man's entire speech before crashing, but this time there's no solid blue screen, it just boots me back to the desktop. The only thing that helped is using the last advanced solution, which is running it with the ' -applaunch 220 -dxlevel 80 -window +mat_reducefillrate 1 +r_waterforceexpensive 0 +r_waterforcereflectentities 0 +r_shadowrendertotexture 0 +AntiAliasing 0 +mat_antialias 0 ' parameters, and that makes it playable, but:

A. It looks ugly as sin
B. As soon as I switch back to full screen the same crash occurs.

Now I'm seriously at a loss here, and was wondering if this is a known error. Keep in mind that the game worked perfectly on this machine since release day, so I have no idea what could be the problem now.

System specs:

Athlon XP 2600+
Radeon 9800 Pro
Nforce NF-7 mobo
1 gig of DDRAM
Windows Vista
Directx 10

Any help would be appreciated!

Check for any dust that has accumulated inside your case, on your heatsink and graphics card, since you last played. Dusty buildup can have... unforeseen consequences.

Okay I'll try that, but I just cleaned my innards (heh) like a month ago... Any other thoughts? I'm at a loss here...

OK so just in case anyone in the future has a similar problem, I managed to fix all of my problems by rolling back to the 7.6 catalyst drivers.

Everything works without a hitch now :bounce:

A 9800Pro? Is that even a DX 9.0 compatible card? Out of curiosity, how much VRAM does that card have?

Also, if I were you, I'd at least upgrade the CPU to a +3800X2 or better. Those CPUs are pretty cheap nowadays.

A 9800Pro? Is that even a DX 9.0 compatible card?
lol, the 9800 was the first card that was being pushed a lot when HL2 was coming out. All radeon's have dx9.

Back