Half-Life 2 Crashes PC!

S

ShadowyCore

OK, I'm getting really angry now. I bought The Orange Box a few days ago, and when trying to play Half-Life 2, it crashed my PC! When trying to load the level "Point Insertion", Half-Life 2 gets to the last "dot" on the loading bar, my computer restarted (that was prior to when I changed the "My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery -> Settings -> Automatically restart" setting to unchecked. Now it just swaps my screen to a blank blue screen which never goes away until I turn my computer off manually. :angry:

I have tried EVERYTHING !!! OK, maybe not EVERYTHING, but everything I could find\think of. Here are some useful facts.

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
RAM: 1.00 GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 2.20 GHz
Computer Model: eMachines T3256

GRAPHICS CARD
Card Model: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600
Driver Version: 8.512.0.0

MISC INFO
Steam API: v007
Steam Packacge Versions: 46 / 624

THINGS THAT HAVE NOT WORKED
Un-installing and Re-installing Steam.
Un-installing and Re-installing Half-Life 2.
Validating my Half-Life 2 content.
Putting "-dxlevel 80" in the launch options.
Putting "-no -dxlevel 90 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0" in the launch options.

This problem seems to pertain to ALL of my Steam games.

At this point I'm getting desperate. Any idea you have AT ALL is appreciated. I'm snatching anything I can get my hands on at this point. :frog:

Upon trying to load Garrys Mod to a Portal map, the game crashes several seconds after. Wierd.

Why did you make a second thread?

After un-installing various programs (including Google Toolbar) it now just goes to all black instead of a blue screen, and requires me to hold the power button for five seconds instead of turning off instantly.

EDIT: Never mind, it's back to "normal".

Hey, I know this is frustrating, but please stop posting multiple times. If someone knows a solution, I'm sure they'll post it, but you don't need to keep the thread bumped.

UPDATE:

Garry's Mod loads, but after walking around for more than a few seconds it crashes just like the other ones. :flame:

If it BSOD's it usually means there is a deeper problem with your hardware or a conflict with drivers.

If it BSOD's it usually means there is a deeper problem with your hardware or a conflict with drivers.

I've had people say that I should get a BSOD error, but it's not an error at all. It just crashes.

BTW, what does BSOD stand for?

After running MemTest, it seems that my memory is OK. Is there any way to check if my Catalyst drivers are configured correctly?

I have found a way to make it work!

By adding -nosound to the launch options, it loads the level!

However, now I need to find a way to get the sound to work. Bugger.

Have you tried turning the Hardware Sound Acceleration down or off? (by moving the slider to the left in Dxdiag)...not sure if it'll make any difference but might be worth a try...

Have you tried turning the Hardware Sound Acceleration down or off? (by moving the slider to the left in Dxdiag)...not sure if it'll make any difference but might be worth a try...

I bought a new sound card which solved Half-Life 2's problem, but Portal still crashes! :angry:

I'm having pretty much this same problem.

I have recently installed HL2 for the second time -- I played it originally back when it was new. I have since updated my computer (better than old), and I want to play HL2 again. (It's been a few years since I last played.)

I can open the game, but when I load starting a new game, it shuts off and restarts my computer. When I load an old, saved game (are old saved games saved elsewhere than on my computer -- I didn't know I had old games saved), sometimes I can play, but sometimes it crashes too. I once played an old saved game for 5 minutes and then it crashed and restarted my computer.

Where can I find this Dxdiag?

I'd love to play HL2 again, but I really don't have a lot of time, so every minute I'm having to troubleshoot is a minute lost for play time.

Thanks for any help.

Bullgrit

Type dxdiag in your Run... field. This will display all of your system's specifications.

I'm having pretty much this same problem.

I have recently installed HL2 for the second time -- I played it originally back when it was new. I have since updated my computer (better than old), and I want to play HL2 again. (It's been a few years since I last played.)

I can open the game, but when I load starting a new game, it shuts off and restarts my computer. When I load an old, saved game (are old saved games saved elsewhere than on my computer -- I didn't know I had old games saved), sometimes I can play, but sometimes it crashes too. I once played an old saved game for 5 minutes and then it crashed and restarted my computer.

Where can I find this Dxdiag?

I'd love to play HL2 again, but I really don't have a lot of time, so every minute I'm having to troubleshoot is a minute lost for play time.

Thanks for any help.

Bullgrit

Try adding -nosound to the launch options. If this allows the game to start, check if you are using your on-board sound chip. I bought an Audigy sound card and that fixed it for me.

Turning off Sound Hardware Acceleration didn't work. Updating my sound driver didn't work. Starting with -nosound didn't work.

Thanks for help, though.

Bullgrit

Back again! It has stopped working again, but this time it gives me a BSOD stop error, instead of just a blue screen. It says something about a stop error with the code 0x0000008E. There were a few others. If it's important, I can get them for any would-be fixers.

Back