Half Life 2: Done Quick

M

MatthiasII

Half-Life 2: Done Quick is a new project that is now ready to kick it into high gear. We are ready to begin accepting submissions for speed runs through individual or multiple levels and would like to invite anyone interested to participate.

What is it?
The purpose of Half-Life 2:Done Quick is to put together a movie made up of individual demos of each map in Half-Life 2 played as quickly and creatively as possible.

Who is welcome to participate?
This is open invitation to anyone who believes they can be the fastest out there.

What is the timeline for this project?
This project will have two phases. Phase One: Phase one will be "open". Anyone at all interested will be able to submit their demo for how to do any level they want as quickly as they can. This is to create competition between competitors and to get the largest amount of demos and people involved as possible. Phase Two: Phase two will be "incremental". It will officially start when submissions for demos start to die down and its generally agreed upon that no more big improvements to time could be made. This is when the project will start to take its continuous form and the movie will start to be made. Starting with a new game, a saved state will be sent to the contributors with the best times, to do their run again in a continuous fashion.

Site - http://www.hl2dq****/
Edit idk why the site won't link... http://forums.yeahandstuff.net/index.php?showforum=8

Check out the trailer: http://www.yeahandstuff.net/hl2dq/hl2dq.avi

I wish i had time for this. I would love to do it.

I really wouldn't use the "Done Quick" title... that's reserved for the Quake Done Quick team.

Well, Quake Done Quick was the original.. but it has spawned multiple runs of multiple games including Doom, Doom II, Halflife, and others.

course, he doesn't like hl2 either. so i wouldn't listen.

I'd like to help but I don't think I have the time (or the skill that matter). Though i DID do all the way to the very beginning of Nova Prospekt in 5 hours... since I know what to do now, I could cut that to three.

lol, 3hrs would be way to much to beat the entire game in, at leasst for HL1 they got it down to 45minutes.... of course even an idiot like me can beat HL1 in 3hrs so maybe HL2 takes alot longer

I'd say the final time for HL2, without cheating, is somewhere around 2 hours. Mainly because a lot of areas are limited to... well.. waiting for NPCs and alike. The Airboat and the Car only goes so fast, even though it might be possible to skip the car and go faster on foot, I don't know.
Don't forget all the Kleiner lab scenes, the teleportationthingies (All through the game), the whole last level with all the stuff you wait for... It adds up to quite a bit of time, even if you do the parts you can as fast as possible.

I watched a video of the boat sequence done in fifteen minutes or so. It had really clever shortcuts, but it was still really long and boring to watch. I tried some speed-driving on the coast, but I discovered that nearly everything is clipped so that you can't come up with any elaborate shortcuts.

Yeah, we've been talking with him on the SDA forums... we feel that by opening it up to anyone who wishes to participate (granting that they can get the fastest run) will overal improve the time and hopefully cut it down significantly.

Speed runs are awesome, I liked the movie of the guy doing all the nifty things to get through Water Hazard.

I assume it's basically the same thing.

Also, I believe he went through on Easy.

We're trying hard. :)

MatthiasII: Oh okay. I like that idea though. The speedrun community could really evolve through events like this. A bit lame if it's on Easy though :)

Evolve? Running through a game as a joint effort is old stuff.

In lack of a better word. Either way, the speedrun community ain't very big yet. One last haven for Underground ;)

Hmm... Why would you want to play it fast? Second time I played much slower to enjoy every detail not just get scared and run as hell.

It's more of a competition against time, to see how fast you can do it.

And why? To some, it's impressive to watch, to others, its exillerating to do. If speed isn't your thing, no biggie, it's not everyones. :) But we like it. :D

Spartan said:
I watched a video of the boat sequence done in fifteen minutes or so. It had really clever shortcuts, but it was still really long and boring to watch. I tried some speed-driving on the coast, but I discovered that nearly everything is clipped so that you can't come up with any elaborate shortcuts.
well the people who have been submitting things so far have actually found many extreme shortcuts.. it's pretty impressive how many exploits there still are even with all the effort valve put in to keep us from finding shortcuts ;)

and don't worry about boredom.. i'm going to make sure the final movie is an action-packed delight to watch :)

it is really fun to try to find shortcuts/timesavers :naughty:

added link to my sig

We could split it up that way, its just a matter of adding up the times of the levels each chapter consists of.

Alec_85 said:
In lack of a better word. Either way, the speedrun community ain't very big yet. One last haven for Underground ;)

Well... the HL2 community isn't big, but the Quake community is (as big as it can be after eight years).

Altough I really like the idea I think HL2 is a really hard game to complete fast enough so people will enjoy watching the completeion later. I doubt you can complete HL2 in less that, lets say 3 hours? And yes, I doubted HL could be competed in less than 5 hours and I was way off.

Anyhow, speedruns will always be completed hardest difficulty. In all games. =)

without the cutscenes .. 60 minutes should be realistic.

eiric: One day :) Shortcuts etc etc are found on a day-to-day basis. Especially when we're talking about big games like Metroid & HL2.

Alec_85 said:
eiric: One day :) Shortcuts etc etc are found on a day-to-day basis. Especially when we're talking about big games like Metroid & HL2.

Nope, you're lying. =)

Well, I would love to see someone complete HL2 in like 30-40 minutes. I concider Speed running an art. And I think speed running is alot cooler than winning a CS:S leauge, for instance.

Back