Half Life 2 Keyboard controls.

Pip

Reaction score
I was just playing Call of Duty demo and i realised that since i bought the origianal Half Life, most of the controls i user on various FPS are based on the default half life settings (give or take different options like lean, prone etc)

Does anyone else do this? Or do you change each game? Are you likely to use them in HL2?

I always change FPS controls to default Half Life keys. I'll do it in Half Life 2 if they've changed them as well.

Well HL was the first PC FPS that I played so whenever I configure a game I configure it to how HL was. Although, most people use that set up anyway because it is one of the most comfortable set ups.

Actually, I have an HL-like setup that I used for DOD that I've never changed. Its pretty much the HL one with some extra keys like prone.

I've been using the same WSAD setup since I was active in the Action Quake 2 community many many years ago. Before that though, I think I used the arrow keys for Wolf 3d, Doom II, and Duke.

Originally posted by Tlaloc
WASD was first used by HL? i don't think so...

That's not what he's saying.
He's basically saying that he sets up all his games as the HL config. EG. HL wasn't obviously the first to use wsad but it may have been the first to include F for flashlight, E for use, Y and U for talk modes, G for drop weapon (CS) etc. etc.

i use the WASD setup.. yes im weird, sue me :p

i know this is sorta off topic but has Gabe or anyone else responded to all the scripting that goes on in current games? i'd like Gabe's view on scripting and when or if it ever becomes cheating at some point..

and steps they have taken to either eliminate it or further make it more accessible for those who do not use scripts or know about them for HL2?...

Originally posted by Chris_D
That's not what he's saying.
He's basically saying that he sets up all his games as the HL config. EG. HL wasn't obviously the first to use wsad but it may have been the first to include F for flashlight, E for use, Y and U for talk modes, G for drop weapon (CS) etc. etc.

dont we all? it still is the greatest game ever and it was my FIRST! I never had pld a game before longer than 5 minutes untl HL came along, it was the first game that got me interested in gaming:afro:
edit:
and why oh y did the use y and u for talk, was t used for something else (i still use y and u)

I first used arrow keys in CS, and I use them in every game now.

Ugh - that's ALL wrong.

It's numpad 7,8,9 for foward & strafe.
Numpad 4&6 for turning (when you are in a quiet section and want to rest your mouse hand)

Numpad 1,2,3 for leaning and backpedal

End for jump, Page Down for duck. Page up for prone if needed.
Delete for walk if needed.

Mouse 4 for use if supported.
Mouse 5 for flashlight if supported.
Mouse 3 for reload (click the wheel)

Then there's all the other keypad keys that vary by game.

Wow, Ahnteis, that's insane.. I hate having complex controls, and I have hard enough time reaching the arrow keys (NEVER did like WASD, always used arrows)

You left handed? Or do you just.. scoot your keyboard over, or reach your hand over?

My controls..

up arrow = forward
back arrow = back
left arrow = strafe left
right arrow = strafe right
mouse1 = attack
mouse2 = jump
mouse3 = secondary attack
mouse4 = reload
mouse5 = drop (not all games support mouse5, in which case I bind drop, or whatever's similar to it, to keypad leftarrow)
walk = right shift
duck = ctrl
use = enter
voice comm/lean left = delete
lean right = end
last weapon (cs, I use it for whatever else seems logical in other games) = keypad insert
flashlight = keypad home

That's basically it, I'll mix up extra controls between insert, home, page up, delete, end and page down depending on how binds there are in games (For instance, I use insert - page up as slots 1-3 in HL, and end and page down as slots 4 and 5, while delete is voice comm)

..wow, lol, anyhow, I guess you get used to whatever controls you use after awhile

shuzer, if you're using a logitech mouse, and you have logitech mouseware you can bind mouse4 5 or ,whatever buttons to any key on the keyboard. so for instance, i would bind 4 and 5 to F4 and F5 on the keyboard, then assign a key to f4 or f5, and when i press the mouse button it works great.

I'm using an Intelli Mouse Optical, and yes, I can do that.. but I find it to be unresponsive compared to actual buttons (atleast, when I tried it back in the day)

unresponsive eh, that sucks. for my logitech its as if im pushing it directly. logitech MX series are the ultimate gaming mice!

I haven't tried it in awhile, I'm pretty sure I'm confusing it with my Logitech Wingman control panel thing.. mapping buttons to keys doesn't work in the slightest

I always use my own little "custom personal" keyboard and mouse settings to what I'm used to. (I'm left-handed, so a lot of the movements I do on the right side of the keyboard with my left hand... most people tell me that it looks awkwards and crazy... I <3 it, though."

Wingman Rumblepad is a controller, I use it for ROMs and emulation mainly, does a great job in N64 ROMs

But, for emulators that don't support joysticks, I try to use the custom stuff, but like I said, it doesn't work. They make you record keys, so, if you record right and try to bind keypad right to your recording of the rightarrow, it'd be the equivalent to tapping the right arrow.

Stuff like that, really doesn't work, get what I mean?

Duke Nukem baybay!!! All the way =D

Thats when I got used to my setup and I still use that.

CS settings and what I try to aspire to in other games :borg: :

A: jump
Z: Duck
S: sidestep left
D: sidestep right
F: open/scientists follow
SPACE: sec fire
Mouse1: Fire
Mouse2: Forward
Mouse3(middle): back
SHIFT: Run/walk
R: reload
T: talk
Y: say_team
TAB: scores

And a nother thread (poll) has already been about this :)

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6243&highlight=wasd+asdf

I play games without mouselook (IE. Dark Forces) without a mouse.. does that count? :)

Well I should have said NEVER FPS games and not old ones where it auto aims up/down?

Originally posted by Shuzer
Wow, Ahnteis, that's insane.
You left handed? Or do you just.. scoot your keyboard over, or reach your hand over?

Keyboard is always off to one side. Work or play, most stuff I do is with mouse. (Except during those long programming sessions.)

Does anyone play FPS games without using a mouse?

Used to - but you simply can't play as well using keyboard only. Perhaps with a joystick, but I'm sceptical. (Especially after the console games I've played--mouse = way easier.)

I tried once to play counter-strike without the mouse using Enter as the shoot button...didn't work to well :S

Bah.

Up = forward
Down = back
Left = strafe left
Right = straight right
Num0 = duck
Num1 = reload
Enter = use
Right-shift = walk/run
Mouse 1 = fire
Mouse 2 = Alt-fire/zoom/switch-fire
Mouse 3 = Jump
Mouse Roll = weapon-select
Mouse 4 = Lean Left / Use Item
Mouse 5 = Lean Right / whatever the game has ;)

I played 2 years with the arrow keys and then I played the rest with WASD, WASD forever.

if you play with anything besides WASD you're sick in the head, get help!!:bounce:

Originally posted by Ahnteis
Ugh - that's ALL wrong.

It's numpad 7,8,9 for foward & strafe.
Numpad 4&6 for turning (when you are in a quiet section and want to rest your mouse hand)

Numpad 1,2,3 for leaning and backpedal

End for jump, Page Down for duck. Page up for prone if needed.
Delete for walk if needed.

Mouse 4 for use if supported.
Mouse 5 for flashlight if supported.
Mouse 3 for reload (click the wheel)

Then there's all the other keypad keys that vary by game.

That's actually quite clever I'm going to try that, I always used the arrows (I mouse left handed, dunno why I am right handed).

:afro:

I almost always use the default key config for most games, cept when they've got stupid configs (i.e. America's Army with WASD and the , and . for lean left and right? What the f*ck is that?). I think the best keyboard setup is ESDF personally. It give you a lot more easily accessable keys around your left hand. Tribes 2 had it, and it was fantastic!

My generalized keyfig:

Arrow Keys-
Up: Forward
Down: Becakward
Left: Strafe Left
Right: Strafe Right

Delete: Jump
End: Crouch

LMB: Attack
MMB: Reload
RMB: Secondary Attack
Enter: Use

I use WASD a lot but my other config is:
up = forward
down = back
left = left strafe
right = right strafe
ctrl = duck
R shift = walk
kp_ins (0) = use
keypad (buy in cs = 10key speed baby) or delete,end,pg_down etc for game specific keys
mouse1 = fire
mouse 2 = jump
mouse 3 (wheel button)= special/zoom
mouse 4 = quick switch
mouse 5 = reload
wheel up/down = switch through guns

I leave the wasd, Q,E,R,B and number keys alone so I can switch between setups easy depending on how i feel and someone else can somewhat easily play on my seup as well.

wow lot of replies. Thanks! didnt think it would get so many

default all the way. (i'm play left handed too)

edit: mouse controls changed of course though.

The control setup I've used for most of the last 4 years I've played HL was based on the default Action Half-Life setup, which is great for arrow key whores.

Arrow keys (I hate WASD, so sue me) for forward/back and strafing, KP_0 as Use, END as reload, Right Control as crouch, Right Shift as Walk... That's really all you need for most HL mods. I use left click on the mouse for fire, middle click for secondary fire, and right click for jump (except for in TFC)

I've modified it for various games, such as NOLF and America's Army, where I use Delete and Page down for lean controls. I even use it for other games like Thief and Max Payne.

In HL and CS, I use KP_DEL as the flashlight control, and I use it for going prone in DoD...

Etc, etc.

Before last summer, I always used this setup:
uparrow: forward
dnarrow: back
larrow: strafe left
rarrow: strafe right
R CTRL: duck
R SHIFT: jump
ENTER: reload
DEL: use
NUM0: walk
MOUSE1: attack
MOUSE2: secondary attack
MWHEEL DOWN: next wpn
MWHEEL UP: prev. weapon
K: scores
I, O, P: voicemenus 1 2 and 3 (CS/DOD)

then one day at computer camp, we were playing Q2 deathmatch, and I wasn't doing that great. So i decided to switch over to WASD for the first time ever, and within a minute I was in third place :D

My new setup, for every single game, is:
W: forward
S: back
A: strafe left
D: strafe right
E: use*
F: flashlight*
SHIFT: duck
CTRL: prone
ALT: drop weapon
R: reload
TAB: scores
Y: chat
U: teamchat
T: spray logo
Z,X,C: voicemenus 1, 2 and 3 (CS/DOD)
V: minimap open/close
B: minimap zoom

[*] if the game has lean left/right, then Q and E are lean, F is use, and G is flashlight.

Back