Half-Life 2 Mod Adds Oculus Rift and Gun Tracking Support

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
A video showing a Half-Life fan's efforts in modding Oculus Rift support in to Half-Life 2 has been making waves since it was uploaded to Youtube on Sunday. The video shows Nathan Andrews using an Oculus Rift virtual reality headset and a modified Xbox 360 Top Shot Elite gun controller with a motion tracker taped to it playing Half-Life 2. The results are pretty impressive:

The setup allows the player to independently look around using the Rift's head tracking and aim using the motion trackers attached to the gun. It looks like a lot of fun and if you can afford to spend a few hundred dollars on creating the setup yourself you can download the mod from here. Perhaps a company will take noticed and produce similar guns for consumers for when the Rift hits shelves.

I'm not really sold on the concept for playing the entirety of a game as long as HL2 (including the two Episodes), but I would absolutely want to try this out. I wonder if GameStops and Best Buys will ever have demo setups for VR gaming.

I imagine (depending on the difficulty to implement that once the Occulus Rift is being sold commercially that they may themselves enter the market for independently controlled guns. They will already have a pretty good head start with the tech used in the Rift I feel.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/at...1-pt-ep01-special-shut-up-take-my-money11.jpg

I want to see more of that when you are on rollers that you really need to move around to move the character :) that would be a work out.
I can see a few problems with that idea other than the obvious issue of getting tired (though many gamers could do with a workout while playing). For one is it even possible to do that with 360 degrees motion without the player standing on a giant ball? There would also be a delay in the player pushing off with his feet before the game could register the movement and any lag in movement in a game is a pretty awful thing.

Back