half life 2 monitor

moved to hardware and troubleshooting as I think you'll probably get a better answer from the guys in there.

Edit: left a moved note in the previous section so you know where its gone. Don't want you to think it was deleted :)

unless you have the smallest desk in the world, id buy a new crt 19" for like 1/3 the price and it will look a shitload better too (it can actually display black....hahahah suck it)

Originally posted by BlackWolfdrk
whats the best 19 inch lcd monitor to play half life 2 on???

LCD's are not the best for gaming right now... the tech needs to be improved for that to happen.. hmm.. there are a few very expensive versions of LCD monitors that run games "okay" but then u need alotta moolah for that..

my suggestion is to go with one of those traditional monitors.. u know.. the kind that take up deskspace and run at high res make ur games look l337? ;)

What do u mean run games ok? I borrowed my uncles and it was only a £140 and games had no problem, only had blurryness while scrolling webpages in IE.

Im buying one @ crimbo, would appreciate information and possible purchase links (UK).

most LCD's have a low refresh rate i think...might be wrong though. LCD's shouldnt be used for gaming anyways.

Could've sworn I read somewhere LCDs didn't have refresh rates.. then again, I have no idea.

personaly im happy with my old 21" nec ive got sitting here, its big, its heavy, its got nice res, and it was free :)

I have a 17" KDS! It's small, it's light, and it's got a decent resolution, and it cost $70!

..somehow, I feel inferior to another-user's post ;( lol

well many LCDs have had serious problems with burn in with things that don't change on your screen if you play.

hi this is my first post here, been reading forums for a long time though... please don't flame me ... anyways, i heard that iiyama makes great monitors, however they ARE expensive... and, as other people have said... lcd isn't too great for gaming... not until tech gets better.

Originally posted by Jackal hit
hi this is my first post here, been reading forums for a long time though... please don't flame me ... anyways, i heard that iiyama makes great monitors, however they ARE expensive... and, as other people have said... lcd isn't too great for gaming... not until tech gets better.

welcome to the HL2.net forums :)

i got a 19 inch, Env!sion crt, its huge, i think its 60lbs, its the size of a miata is lenghth, has served me fine for 2 years now. no glitches no nothing, oh ya it cost me 270, so in other words, u get what u pay for,

Whatever you get, make sure it uses a DVI and not VGA.
For LCDs.... VGA = Ew!
Good performance Samsung LCD.
It's just a nice display.
I know 2 ppl that have one and they got them right off newegg.
An awesome Sony LCD.
High nits (300 cd/m2), high contrast ratio (600:1), many many O/I on the back, DVI as well.
Not sure on response time but my guess is 25ms.

Although CRTs will outperform any LCD as they are THE performance display. And cost about half as much as LCDs or less, just more desktop space needed. ;)

what he said...

Originally posted by Ridic
most LCD's have a low refresh rate i think...might be wrong though. LCD's shouldnt be used for gaming anyways.

and what he said..

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
well many LCDs have had serious problems with burn in with things that don't change on your screen if you play.

and also what he said...

Originally posted by Asus Whatever you get, make sure it uses a DVI and not VGA.For LCDs.... VGA = Ew!

that about sums up reasons why LCD's are not preferrable for gaming.. however if u are hell bent on getting and LCD and u have the fortune it takes to aquire one.. then u can't go wrong with Asus's advice.. hes one of the aces of the hardware section of this forum :)

anyway i still suggest something other than LCD's but whatever..

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
anyway i still suggest something other than LCD's but whatever..

I wonder who sells Sears those 6" monochrome monitors.. THOSE would be GREAT for gaming :)

If you must, then get one with a 16ms response time. They are good for antything but the most fast-paced shooters. Not as much motion blur.

Also, get one with a good dead-pixel warranty.

So I shouldnt get an LCD monitor if I want to play games?

Not if you want to play action-oriented games. Not yet, anyway. Wait a year or so. Prices will drop and performance will improve.

funny how people always say that.. And next year, when the current monitors are cheap, the next gen come, and people will advice you to wait another year.. :D

... and you say, "Awwww, stuff it. I'm not going to put up with all this crap. I'll buy last year's model cheap."

ok cheers everyone ile wait a bit and just cary on using my good old 19" crt.

Yeah, i would stick with the CRT. Got a new dell last Feb and a 17' LCD monitor. Looks ok but hard to see in a bright room. Refresh rate max's at 75 hrz. Oh well (grumbles) i needed the deskspace and it is cool looking.

Maby instead of a new LCD monitor next time, i should get a 41' Plasma TV :cheers:

CptCarnage

He was aware that a wise man should always respect the folkways of others,
to use Carrot's happy phrase, but Vimes often had difficulty with this
idea. For one thing, there were people in the world whose folkways
consisted of gutting other people like clams and this was not a procedure
that commanded, in Vimes, any kind of respect at all.
-- (Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant)

Originally posted by Cpt.Carnage
Maby instead of a new LCD monitor next time, i should get a 41' Plasma TV :cheers:
42" plasma at compusa for 2,500$
Wonder how much it is for us employees (cost)...

lcd suck.

except the one for 2999.99 that is 24 inches and widescreen from apple. that thing is unbeatable. the only LCD (i think it is) taht i might buy.

Why do they suck?

Im going to get one, its not like I play a game in 12 hour bursts.

simple, they are washed out, overpriced, suck for gaming, and give ME a headache.

WHy not just get a cheaper crt which has better color/sharper/better refreshrate/ higher resolution???

My monitors fine, its just friggin huge, my room looked bigger with a flatscreen.

Oh and don't think you can go changing the res without it looking bad.
LCDs like 1 resolution, the others will look bad and resized.

CRTs (60Hertz) can give you a headache though. LCDs are easier on your eyes.
But anything above 75 Hertz is a lot better on CRTs. I try for 85Hertz at all times for my eyes (1280x1024 right now). I go and look at my brothers monitor which is unchanged at 60hertz and I can get dizzy just looking at it now that I've experienced the difference.

Next time you're around a CRT monitor set at 60Hertz, step to the side, stare strait but look at the monitor with your peripheral vision and you will notice much waver.

To Brian Damage: Yep, got em all including the new one Monsterous Regiment.

He's brilliant, Pratchett is...

:cheers:

As for my LCD its not so bad (ie washed out) but you do notice the refresh rate when games are up to 120 fps. there is some stagger as it trys to catch up.

CptCarnage

"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
-- Detritus learns about weapons safety
(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Nec Multisync LCD1765.
Max res: 1280x1024
Viewable image: 17in(note that compares favorably with a 19in CRT)
Response Time: 16ms. This means very little ghosting, if any.
Input: Analog(not noticably inferior to DVI, however)
Price: $500.00 range(BestBuy w/rebates)

Reviews:
here and here .

I dunno what price range you're working with, all I can tell you is this monitor is nothing short of awesome. Fast enough to keep up with your gaming and very easy on the eyes, especially when reaing text. It by no means makes the good old CRT obsolete(which I still own), it's just way cooler. My reccomendation would be that you ask Santa for one.

Hope this was helpful.

Originally posted by Shuzer
Could've sworn I read somewhere LCDs didn't have refresh rates.. then again, I have no idea.

Neg.

My FPD1530 can go up to 75 hrz

I am getting 19 or more LCD type Samsung or LG.

Ive been looking etc and talking to friends and found that LG do some really good lcd monitors.

Well, I bought a 21" crt monitor instead of a lcd, it will give me a better gamingexperience then all the 17"-19" ldc monitors in teh world :)

Back