Half-Life 2 Pre-Load Has Started

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The long awaited Half-Life 2 pre-load has started! Please restart Steam to receive the update.
Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins to Steam account holders today. Over the coming days, those who have selected the pre-loading option will have encrypted Half-Life 2 files delivered to their PC. No purchase is required to pre-load HL2, but is required to activate the game. Purchase options will be released soon. Then, the moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be authenticated and ready to start playing. For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.
At this present time the content servers are struggling a little but remember, there's no rush! Take it easy. Additionally, the cache we're downloading at the moment is called "base source shared materials.gcf" and it weighs in at a whopping 1.01GB.

Waiting for the Giant spike on steam servers. 10% done already wow.

MetaKnight said:
..So you have to pay to play the HL2 preload? That sucks.. :(

What? How are you going to play the preload? I think you are misunderstanding

Darnit, I was just about to post it... jerk...

MetaKnight said:
..So you have to pay to play the HL2 preload? That sucks.. :(
No purchase is required to pre-load HL2, but is required to activate the game.
You can't play the pre-load. It's just caching some files in preparation for its full release in the coming months.

"The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle any more preloads of Half-Life 2. Please try again in a few hours."

my pre-load is chugging along fine ;)
and yeah the wait is finally over :cheers:

oh my god i cant believe it im gonna have to wait till the morning (end sarcasm)

Whats the ibg rush? You will have atleast a month to preload, and you cant do anytihng with it till then. Why be so obbsessed at getting it now? I can understand a few people trying to crack it....

I like this idea of getting the game of steam. Less people in line at the EB on release day

I did the calculus 3 math, will be done in

9.8765432098765432098765432098765 hours for me.

I'm still optimistic about it going gold within the next week :p
69% w00t

Hehe "steam server to busy...." on the very hour the pre-load was put up my isp lost all ability for it's users to look at webpages and answer email. So now i'm back on it's too busy but meh...WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, Chris_D I wanted to be the one who announced it, but then you so viciously stole my thunder... just wait until hl2 goes gold, I will be the first one to post, MARK MY WORDS!

wtf? how do all of you already have so much completed? I download things at 180 KB/Sec when File Downlod pops up. Upload is 128 kb/s, but that shouldn't matter.

CrewXp said:
wtf? how do all of you already have so much completed? I download things at 180 KB/Sec when File Downlod pops up. Upload is 128 kb/s, but that shouldn't matter.
Mine's finished actually :p , I suppose because a bunch of people jumped on it so fast they got reserved bandwidth..

iom999 said:
I don't understand why you are downloading this ??
the game is only released in november, and not september.
check EBgames :
Pre-Order: Ships on 11/01/2004
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/235059.asp

EBGames is usually the best informed of release date.

If you notice, all of the online vendors have the exact same release dates. Valve nor Sierra nor Vivendi have released anything to the public and retailers don't have any extra inside information that we don't. EB's date is just a guess.

To bear witness to this, I am a big fan of Chris Sawyer's upcoming game locomotion. Atari and Chris Sawyer had not announced a release date until about a month ago. So, EB and GameStop, etc. had listed 12/1/2004 as the date. A few weeks ago when Atari announced the date, all of the vendors updated with the proper date (7 SEP). So, just be patient and don't put too much stock in those online release dates that fall on the first of a month. Good rule of thumb..most entertainment products are released on a Tuesday or Friday to maximize sales. (don't know why, but that's what my fiancee told me -- she's in the sales biz)

blagh said:
Maybe the best informed....but uninformed nontheless

Hey, I am not saying they are always right, but usually they are.
They must have a good reason to list it away in November.

Umm, they listed it in August, then September, then October, now November. They're doing what every retailer is doing, making up dates.

How do I enable my steam appz/account to pre-load HL2 to my PC ?

iom999 said:
Hey, I am not saying they are always right, but usually they are.
They must have a good reason to list it away in November.
They had November listed back in 2003 as well I think for some time. Until an official date is given by either Vivendi or Valve none of the dates retailers give mean anything. Thats how it was last year and earlier this year and I don't see why it should have changed now.

Hallucinogen said:
How do I enable my steam appz/account to pre-load HL2 to my PC ?
Stop, then reStart Steam.

4%! I'm gonna wet my pants! :LOL:

Wesisapie said:
i cant connect :(
You only get one try to connect to the content servers for preloading, for each time you run Steam.

To retry, restart Steam and select Preload again.

---

5.4% EEEEEEeeeeeeee!!!!!!

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I preload. No reason to freak out right now. Its not like the HL2 preload is going anywhere. :cool:

Back