Half-life 2 released on Sep. 30th, but not in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RickyB

There is one possibility that many (not all) people continue to overlook - that Steam will be released on Sep. 30th, but only via Steam; it would be released later in stores. This would explain why most retailers have been given October/November release dates. This would also probably explain the miscommunication last month with respect to Vivendi announcing a delay.

Obviously Valve are trying something new here, and we can't assume that they will follow the traditional business model - they certainly haven't up until now (by waiting 5 years to officially announce their game). Here are the advantages:

• This would certainly create more revenue for Valve because almost everyone would opt to purchase HL2 online rather than wait for the store copy.

This would also create revenue because Valve would not have to pay the publisher overhead/box costs.

This would enable Valve to get the game to market more quickly because they can bypass the traditional "going gold" process which can take up to 2 weeks.

This would ensure that the most hard-core players are playing the game through Steam right away (which would probably end up happening, anyway).
It seems like one of the primary goals of Valve is to liberate developers from the incapacitating chains of publishers' demands. If they are successful, they will have started one of the biggest revolutions in gaming history by selling directly to the consumer. The obvious benefit is that our money is going directly to those who make quality games for us, their fans. Here's hoping that Valve can pull it off!!

This has been discussed s many times im gonna puke.

Tha mods/admins have to put a stop to this garbage.

OMG your a genius! who would have ever thought about that!?!??!

i can't believe no one HAS TALKED ABOUT IT IN 100 OTHER THREADS

why hasn't anyone come up with THIS IDEA BEFORE??!

infact good thing cuase we needed a thread to talk about it, not like we don't have a hundred already discussing the same thing.

good intutive A+:flame: :flame:

No, no. People have mentioned this but the plain fact of the matter is that if Valve were to try that then they'd be in breach of contract with Vivendi/Sierra.

Originally posted by el Chi
No, no. People have mentioned this but the plain fact of the matter is that if Valve were to try that then they'd be in breach of contract with Vivendi/Sierra.

lol i think he was joking dude...relax

Actually I was referring to the first post.

thats the problem...it has been mentioned

every part of of steam/ release dates ect....has been discussed to the minor detail..

Can we please close this thread now!! i mean it served its purpose, and i got to use the cheers icon :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

It would be absolutely stupid for them to release it on Steam Sept, 30th, and then release it in the stores around Oct/Nov. They would loose so much profit, because everyone does not either A. have the proper internet connection to download a friggin couple GB's worth, B. Some people don't have credit cards / check cards to pay for a subscription, and C. Average age of players for this game goes probably somehwere like 15 - 21. Parents probably wont let their *kids* use their Credit Cards just to get a friggin game off the internet. Nevertheless, I think if this were to ever happen, you would see WAREZ GALORE.

Omfg, another thread like this

STOP THESE THREADS HALF-LIFE 2 SKU's WILL BE RELEASED IN STORES ON SEPTEMBER 30!

Originally posted by RickyB
There is one possibility that many (not all) people continue to overlook - that Half-Life 2 will be released on Sep. 30th, but only via Steam...
And something else people continue to overlook is the fact that Valve has said countless times that Half-Life 2 will be on store shelves (at least in the U.S.) on September 30.

And something else people seem to be continuously overlooking is that most of the population of these forums generally don't have much appreciation for threads relating to HL2 being delayed, that don't contain any substantial or official information.

Surely this can be discussed in one of the many other threads relating to HL2's release date and options.

I'm certainly not saying people don't have a right to talk about all this, but it's been done to death so many times, I think most people's urge to talk about it could be satisfied either by reading some of the large amount of discussion that's already taken place, or continuing on with any of these already existing discussions.

New threads about HL2's release only end up turning into "UGH, not another delay thread" threads, which clutter up the general discussion page constantly, and are often closed after a short period of time.

bah I was going to flame the thread starter but now I can't be arsed.

Has anyone pondered the idea of, when a thread like this pops up that you're not interested in, simply not posting in it? No one's physically forcing you to read every message in every thread on this forum, you know.

Most of the people that flame these threads do it for the fun of it, I mean there's no other reason to look at... no wait there is, because maby they think someone actually has new information.

Would it not be reasonable to expect that any new, confirmed information would be in the 'Info fro mValve' thread?

I heard that eb has delayed hl2 again. Should I make a new thread on this valuble information?

If you really want to, but remember to bring your asbestos suit along for the ride.

Re: Re: Half-life 2 released on Sep. 30th, but not in stores.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
And something else people continue to overlook is the fact that Valve has said countless times that Half-Life 2 will be on store shelves (at least in the U.S.) on September 30.

Exactly, why are you all so ****ing stupid, seriously, there are tons of morons on this board that consistantly ignore the facts to say that it will be released later. Then again there are tons of knowledgable users on here who actually read the interviews and note the facts. Jesus christ let it go man.

Btw does'nt anyone of you find it very odd that until recently fragmaster's "geiger counter" said something along the lines of "it will soon become apparent the hl2 will not ship on the 30th"...or something like that...

But a couple of days ago i saw that he had obviously edited the geiger counter and delete those lines....does anyone have any idea of why he did this??

maybe he's finally come to his senses???

PEOPLE, LISTEN TO ME. THERE IS NO SPECULATION TO THE RELEASE DATE! THE GAME WILL COME OUT ON SEPTEMBER 30th. IF YOU DON'T STOP WITH THE GAY THREADS, PEOPLE WILL CONTINUALLY FLAME YOU!! SO JUST TAKE IT LIKE A MAN AND SHUT UP!!

Well let's just put it this way if it doesn't come out the 30th, someones goin down...To chinatown.

Scribblehead: The Geiger Counter changes at least once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back