Half-Life 2 Support FAQ

Freyar

Reaction score
FAQ
Version .1

The following is a pre-read for those constantly asked questions, that way people will not have to make new threads about something asked on page two. This will constantly be updated as time permits.

Version History:

V0.1 (14JAN05)- First posted, Minor Questions added.

------------------------------------------
What are the Minimum Requirements:

According to the Retail Box:
  • 1.2 GHz Processor
    256MB RAM
    DirectX 7 level graphics card
    Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
    4.5 GB of Hard Drive Space
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Internet Connection

What are the Recommended System Requirements:

• 2.4 GHz Processor
    512 MB RAM
    DirectX 9 level graphics card
    Windows 2000/XP/me/98
    4.5 GB of Hard Drive Space
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Broadband Connection (Edited by Editor)

Can I still play if I fail the Moiimimum Requirements:

Possibly, though it is not recommended. Everything should be set to low ASAP and also a few special parameters for slower video cards may be needed. Expect a list to be added soon.

How do I play in Offline Mode:

This does require an internet connection (refer to the box minimum specifications). You must register with steam, and then login. View "How do I register my CD Key to Steam below.

Creation of Steam Account Failed:

Steam apparently is really busy and therefore people with slower connections seem to have more issues creating and registering thier Half-Life 2 CD Key. The best advice is to try it during some downtime, or hours not usually used by faster users. This is generally in night hours on weekdays. Stay away from Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, as well as days where students are out of school.

How do I register my CD Key to Steam:

After you login Right-Click on the steam icon in the lower right corner and click on "Browse Games". This will bring up the latest news on the newest Steam titles. At the bottom click on "Register a product I already own..." This will bring up a box that allows you to enter your CD Key. You MUST place in the dashes as well. Afterwards, when everything is finished Steam will start to decrypt Half-Life 2 for offline mode play.

All Eyes Are White:

According to thread, this is caused by problems with DirectX 9 or problems with drivers. According to that thread, the thing that may fix that problem, is to install the latest drivers (official would be best), and DirectX 9.\

How do I activate the Console:

In the Half-Life 2 menu, click Options, then select the keyboard tab, select "Advanced", then there will be a checkbox next to "Developer's Console (~)". This will enable the console.

How do I activate Cheat Codes:

Alright... I hate answering this for cheating b****s... you know who you are... In anycase first things first, open the console, and type in SV_CHEATS 1. This tells the client that (server?) cheats are on.

How do I activate God Mode:

God 1
You should get a message confirming this

How do I deactivate God Mode:

God 0
You should get a message confirming this.

Back