Half-Life 2 System Requirements

Yatta

Tank
Reaction score
There have been many people asking whether their system, or any system in general would run Half-Life 2, so I have decided to make a new topic here to explain everything once and for all. Hopefully this will become a sticky if I have provided enough information.

The minimum system specs are currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-level video card TNT2 etc, meaning you won't need a supercomputer to run Half-Life 2. Now with a system like that, don't expect to see reflective water, dynamic shadows or bump-mapped textures.

The machine recommended for running the game is a 2GHz machine with 256 Ram and a GeForce 4 Ti. You would not get DirectX 9 features with a GeForce 4 Ti or below. Please keep in mind that a GeForce 4 MX is different from a Ti and is actually closer to a GeForce 2 due to the fact that it lacks pixel shader + vertex shader rendering techniques.

If you want all the goodies and eye candy, a Direct X 9 card such as the Radeon 9800 Pro (recommended by Valve) is required, along with a CPU of 2.8GHz to run the game very smoothly without a hitch. Please note that the E3 Techdemo presentation was running on a Dell Dream Machine.

Let's look at some current benchmarks released in the past few weeks:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7826
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863&p=8

Decide what is best for yourself. Apparently, ATI cards tend to lead the pack and beat nVidia cards. A Radeon 9600 Pro is recommended if you wish to run the game acceptably with a relatively lower budget.

Some websites to look at if you're going to purchase/upgrade computer parts:

Purchase:
www.dell.com
www.alienware.com
www.voodoopc.com
www.falconnorthwest.com

Computer Parts:
www.newegg.com

I hope this thread can become a useful source for anyone HL2 fan who has yet to be enlightened about the requirements of this brilliant upcoming game.

Originally posted by dawdler
How about actually looking in hardware?

I suppose people could do that, but it would require more effort then the average person the vists hl2.net has.

Keep in mind that various HL employees have quoted min specs of 800mHz instead of 700mHz. It's been a little inconsistent on that score (though the official ones are still 700mHz). Not that only 100mHz could make that much of a difference...

Originally posted by shapeshifter
I suppose people could do that, but it would require more effort then the average person the vists hl2.net has.

We have a hardware section? ;)

But yeah, you've got a point.

WWW.PRICEWATCH.COM

^ this is all you ever need for hardware.

newegg is listed on pricewatch as a vendor and a very good store. BUT some stores have great prices on cpus, and bad prices on ram or vice versa with diff hardware! so shop around on pricewatch.com order from separate vendors and get the overall best price!

Back