Half life 2 used to work but runtimes on loading areas,auto saves,and manual saves

Hl2fan

Reaction score
So I got half life 2 and it lagged so soon I uninstalled then a day later I decided to try to play again. Now keep in mind I use a netbook so when I first installed hl2 and got it the first loading screen to the menu always crashed I fixed this using a launch command cant remember which but it worked then it crashed on starting a new game...

Fixed by running in a window soon the lag got to me and it was uninstalled but soon I found another launch option for hte game and it worked but now when I'm playing any time I save it or the game auto saves or loads a new area,
I get a run time error some of the error is that the processs wants to terminate the runtime or something in a unusal way I dont know whats wrong with my beloved game please help! It finally has no lag and is perfeect except this issue!!!

My launch options below. Also the saves that are created before the crash work fine and I can load the save.

Launch options.

-no -dxlevel 90 -heapsize 512000 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1 +mat_picmip 2

It is NOT my computer because it used to work FINE with auto saves saving and loading.

Firstly, you need to learn to learn to use proper grammar and punctuation. All that I really got from that was:

now keep in mind I use a netbook

Well, there's your problem. Come back with a real computer.

I think it should be playable with some integrated Intel chipsets on very, very low settings. Can you post your specs, OP?
Agree with Higlac about the grammar, please put a bit more time in your post and someone might even read it. Pressing the 'enter' key on your keyboard can do wonders.

Judging from the launch options you posted:
-no doesn't exist, probably you meant -novid?
When using hardware as shitty as what is found in netbooks you want to play in DX8, use -dxlevel 81 instead of 90.

Dude.... THANK YOU!!!! IT WORKED!!!
But the thing is the command I used when I first installed it was 90 and worked perfectly and no runtimes but now after reinstalling it all the time is runtime errors. Now it seems the lag has returned ): anyway to get rid of lag? Launch command etc?

NOTICABLE TIMES WHEN LAG OCCURS
When the flashlight is on, huge waves of fps drops occur.
During fighting sequences its difficult do to lag
When a barrel explodes
The thing that made me uninstall it last time was once in the game after getting the crowbar the sky was all mirror like and it runtimes then I uninstalled not sure if that problem will still be here but I'll have to see.

I'd upload my specs if I knew how. How do I see my specs to upload them here?

EDIT actually after changing the resouloution it fixed most of the lag I'm finally on red letter day :) I'll tell you later if the lag comes back during action scenes.

Is there a way where I can make all the settings already applied to hl2 when it starts up instead of everytime starting the game up I have to go to the settings and switch everything to medium/low and making the 800 resouloution and sitting there for all that time?

Which version of HL2 do you have? I don't remember my Steam version ever reverting the settings back on me.

Bah forget that it did the same with garrysmod I kinda wanna focus on the lag right now I'm in the route kanal level and it is lagging FURIOUSLY how do I see my specs for the game and is there a launch option to help with it? Like sometimes I look at a less detailed ob "floor" and the lag stops but when I look back up it starts.

Start>Type "msinfo32" (without quotation marks") into the search box

The most needed information we need to know is your processor type and speed, how much physical memory you have, and display adapter (you can find this last one by expanding "Components" and then clicking "Display").

My computer used to run hl2 as well, but with the recent update for hl2 and ep1 to the ep2 engine, it became completely unplayable for me, frequently dropping below 15 fps where it used to run at 40-50. When was the last time that it ran properly?

Not sure what you mean by processor only thing I can find useful is intel graphics but here
Name Inten(R) graphics media accelerator 3250, intel corporation compatible
Adaptor ram: 256.00 MB (268,435,4556 bytes)

I just went in to the plcae you said and found adpator I hope thats the right thing

as for the processor type and physical memory:

Total physical memory:1,024,00 MB

Avalible physical memory:424,70 MB

Processor: x86 family 6 model 28 stepping 10 genuineintel ~1662 Mhz

Intel Graphics with 256 mb of dedicated ram, 1 Gb of memory, and an Atom 1.6 mhz processor...
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
Yea. This is why you are having problems. You are actually below minimum requirements for running Half-Life 2; your processor is below requirement. Not to mention you essentially have no graphics card. From personal experience, HL2 does require much more than 1 Gb of ram as well. If your settings are already the lowest they can be set, you basically have no chance of playing this game with a good framerate. Good luck, but I don't know how else to help you other than by saying "Buy a new computer." Sorry. In lighter news, I'm sure if you went out and spent $300 dollars you could find a PC that could run HL2 flawlessly.

Summary

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz 51 °C
Pineview-N 45nm Technology
RAM
1.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Acer eM350 (CPU) 45 °C
Graphics
LP101WSA-TLN1 (1024x600@60Hz)
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
Hard Drives
156GB Hitachi Hitachi HTS545016B9A300 (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

CPU
Intel Atom N450
Cores 1
Threads 2
Name Intel Atom N450
Code Name Pineview-N
Package Socket 437 FCBGA8
Technology 45nm
Specification Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model C
Extended Model 1C
Stepping A
Revision B0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64
Virtualization Unsupported
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Bus Speed 166.3 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 665.2 MHz
Stock Core Speed 1666 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 166 MHz
Average Temperature 50 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 24 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 512 KBytes

RAM
RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 1
Used memory slots 1
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 1024 MBytes
Channels # Single
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 54 %
Total Physical 0.98 GB
Available Physical 399 MB
Total Virtual 1.99 GB
Available Virtual 1.89 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 1
Slot #1

MOTHER BOARD
Motherboard
Manufacturer Acer
Model eM350
Version V1.03
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Atom Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model NM10
Southbridge Revision 02
System Temperature 45 °C
BIOS
Brand Acer

GRAPHICS
Monitor
Name LP101WSA-TLN1 on Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
Current Resolution 1024x600 pixels
Work Resolution 1024x570 pixels
State enabled, primary, output devices support
Monitor Width 1024
Monitor Height 600
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Memory 256 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 6.14.10.5182
Memory 256 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 6.14.10.5182

AUDIO
Audio
Sound Card
Realtek High Definition Audio
Playback Device
Realtek HD Audio Input
Recording Device
Realtek HD Audio output
Speaker Configuration
Speaker type Stereo

Version V1.03
Date 05/27/2010

Yeah, there's pretty much a 0% chance of running hl2. There is no fix for an underpowered computer.

****! the wierd thing is gmod works and i think it has a more spefeasticated engine than half life 2 because killing npcs in that blue screens me strange how the only fix for the save loading thing is a fix that makes the game lag and unplayable ): i love this game though.

I'm surprised you can launch any game (including solitaire) with that kind of power in your laptop. It is not a laptop for gaming at all and your experience is going to be severely hampered trying to play it on there.

Half-life 2 got some upgrades to the newer orange box (2007) engine a few months back and you don't meet those requirements. Your bluescreens come from overheating because your laptop is struggling to stay cool and turns itself off to protect it.

If you're serious about playing all the Half-life 2 games I would advise you invest in a gaming desktop. You can ask us about what machines would be good enough for the price you can afford. You really don't need anything amazing to play HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 so you won't need to break the bank.

Hello, i managed to reduce the lag by turning dxlevel 81 to 70 I honestly dont give a sh1t what graphics look like as long as I can plahy the game.

Back